Commercial activities come to halt in protest against sealing
Commercial activities in Delhi markets came to a standstill on Tuesday as thousands of traders under the aegis of 2,000 trade associations kept their shutters down to protest against unprecedented sealing drive carried out by the municipal corporations on the directions of the Supreme Court-appointed Monitoring Committee.
A protest march was also witnessed in major markets including Connaught Place, Chandni Chowk, Sadar Bazar, Chawri Bazar, Kamla Nagar, Karol Bagh and Kashmere Gate.
The demonstrations were held at around 100 places across Delhi, the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) said in a statement.
On March 28, a traders’ rally will be held at Ramlila Maidan here against the sealing drive, which, the CAIT said, is in “utter violation” of The Municipal Corporation of Delhi Act, 1957.
The business losses due to Tuesday’s bandh were estimated at Rs 1,800 crore, with the revenue loss to Government pegged at about Rs 150 crore, CAIT said.
Calling an all-party meeting convened by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal a “political stunt”, the protesting traders adopted a resolution on Tuesday to demand that his Government get passed a Bill in the Assembly to stop the sealing drive.
They also appealed to the Central Government to bring a law for a moratorium on the ceiling.
The sealing drive is being carried out by a Supreme Court-appointed Monitoring Committee against business establishments using residential properties for commercial purposes. The drive is being implemented by the three BJP-led municipal corporations in Delhi.
The committee was set up by the Supreme Court in 2006. In 2012, the apex court asked the committee to halt the drive. But in December 2017 it ordered resumption of the drive.
- BJP leaders call off hunger strike 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Sisodia, Jain discharged from hospital 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 2,200 admissions approved despite initial hiccup 20 Jun 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- L-G tells CM to ‚Äėurgently' meet babus to thrash out differences 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Police foil AAP MLAs' bid to emulate Kejri's sit-in 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Yogi attends workshop to analyse BJP‚Äôs defeat in UP by-elections 20 Jun 2018 | SP Singh
- Rape accused Daati Maharaj summoned for questioning 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 2 hedgehogs found in unclaimed bag at Sarai Rohilla Rly station 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- SDMC Mayor urges Rly Min to improve services on ring network 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rani Jhansi flyover works to be completed by August: Vardhan 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
Mother of PR dept Addl Director passes away Late Laxmibai Gupta, mother of Suresh Gupta, the Additional Director, Public Relations Department passed away here on Tuesday. She was ill for last 15 days and left for heavenly abode at the age of 91 years at Bhopal on Tuesday morning...