Cong women’s wing chief Barkha Singh quits party
In a setback to the Delhi Congress ahead of the civic polls, Barkha Shukla Singh, the former MLA from RK Puram Assembly quit as chief of the women’s wing. Singh also hit out at vice-president Rahul Gandhi and the party’s Delhi unit chief Ajay Maken for ignoring workers.
The former Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) chief said on Thursday, “Congress Party under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi and Ajay Maken have only used the issue of empowerment of women and women’s security to gather votes. The issue means nothing to them.” Singh said, “In the current organisation where I myself am unsafe, how will I empower women in that organisation. That is why I hereby resign from the post of president of Delhi Mahila Congress.”
“With utmost regret I have to say that the Congress Party under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi and Ajay Maken have only used the issue of empowerment of women and women security to gather votes and it means nothing to them. Ajay Maken, Rahul Gandhi’s nominee in the party, misbehaved, not only with me but also with several office bearers of Delhi Mahila Congress, and when the same was brought to the notice of Rahul Gandhi, our plea fell on deaf ears”, she said.
Singh even quoted other senior party leaders questioning her party’s vice-president’s capabilities, saying “Rahul Gandhi is unfit to lead the party”.
“The one pertinent question we need to ask today is why is Rahul Gandhi in hiding? Why is he scared of meeting his own party members?” Singh said in a statement. Several senior leaders have quit the party because of that very reason, she said. As many as five District presidents and 75 Block presidents resigned from the organisation. One of them has also filed a complaint of harassment against Ajay Maken and Shobha Oza”, she further said.
- Govt’s apex committee holds review meet on flood control measures ahead of monsoon 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Assembly: 2-day special session from today 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 3 arrested for Malviya Nagar jewellery shop robbery on June 15 28 Jun 2017 | Vardha Pal/Devyani Vyas
- Stepfather kills 3-yr-old boy for wife’s attention 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Temp, humidity soar; hospitals see rise in diarrhoea cases 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Okhla shanty catches fire; 5 dead, 4 injured 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Police observes Int’l Day against drug abuse 27 Jun 2017 | Srishti Garg/Vardha Pal
- Police HQ a tinderbox! 27 Jun 2017 | Kanika Mehta
- Four thrash Flipkart’s courier office guard in E Delhi, rob Rs37 lakh 27 Jun 2017 | SR
- EDMC evokes ESMA to end strikes by sanitation staff 27 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 Jun 2017 | PNS | CHANDIGARH
After introducing a policy on purchase of land voluntarily offered for development projects, Haryana Government on Tuesday launched a web portal to provide a database of such available land and land sale offers in the State. Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched “ebhoomiharyana...