Cops to get 15 more Parakram vans
The Delhi Police will add 15 ‘Parakram’ vans manned by National Security Guards (NSG) trained drivers and commandos to its existing fleet of 10 such vans, as the force ramps up security in the run up to Independence Day. The Parakram vans, mandated for anti-terror and other operations warranting armed response, were launched by the city police in May.
The vans are GPRS-enabled and fitted with pan-Delhi wireless communication. Each van is manned by a National Security Guard-trained driver, in-charge and three commandos. The additional vans will cover all major vulnerable and high footfall points of the city, Dependra Pathak, special commissioner of police (Operations) and chief spokesperson of the Delhi Police, said.
The Parakram vans are at present stationed at Vijay Chowk, Palika Bazar, IP Marg, Select Citywalk Mall in Saket, Vasant Kunj Mall, Pacific Mall in Subhash Nagar, Netaji Subhash Place market and mall complex, Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple and Jhandewalan. The additional vans are likely to cover certain parts of trans-Yamuna, West, North and North west Delhi, New Delhi and South Delhi, Pathak said.
The police are also toying with the idea of making these vans more tech-savvy and those handling such vehicles better- equipped, said another officer on condition of anonymity.
We are mulling on providing body-worn cameras to commandos stationed in these vans. Apart from this, the training of personnel has been made more institutionalised, he said. “Every three months, the commandos will undergo training for physical agility. They will also be briefed about the city’s vulnerability to terror attacks, emerging terror threats, new modus operandi adopted by terrorists etc,” the officer said.
- Scorching week ahead, says Met Dept 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NMC holds meet with stakeholders on eased building permit process 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 75-yr-old woman found murdered at her house 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Juvenile among two arrested for kidnapping, killing Gzb boy 21 Apr 2018 | SP Singh
- EC is biased, working at behest of PM: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DU V-C, BJP keep out city Govt's representatives from GB meetings: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- We have to fight to fulfil our promises: says Sisodia 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Couple arrested for duping people 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Maliwal refuses to budge despite Kejriwal's appeal 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC seals 10 properties for misuse in stilt parking 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Saturday inspected Anand Vihar ISBT area and reviewed issues related to traffic, parking, encroachment and sanitation. He directed Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Ltd (DIMTS) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation to remove all unauthorised encroachments near the entry point of Anand Vihar ISBT and surrounding footpaths to facilitate easy movement of pedestrians...