Cops to get 15 more Parakram vans
The Delhi Police will add 15 ‘Parakram’ vans manned by National Security Guards (NSG) trained drivers and commandos to its existing fleet of 10 such vans, as the force ramps up security in the run up to Independence Day. The Parakram vans, mandated for anti-terror and other operations warranting armed response, were launched by the city police in May.
The vans are GPRS-enabled and fitted with pan-Delhi wireless communication. Each van is manned by a National Security Guard-trained driver, in-charge and three commandos. The additional vans will cover all major vulnerable and high footfall points of the city, Dependra Pathak, special commissioner of police (Operations) and chief spokesperson of the Delhi Police, said.
The Parakram vans are at present stationed at Vijay Chowk, Palika Bazar, IP Marg, Select Citywalk Mall in Saket, Vasant Kunj Mall, Pacific Mall in Subhash Nagar, Netaji Subhash Place market and mall complex, Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple and Jhandewalan. The additional vans are likely to cover certain parts of trans-Yamuna, West, North and North west Delhi, New Delhi and South Delhi, Pathak said.
The police are also toying with the idea of making these vans more tech-savvy and those handling such vehicles better- equipped, said another officer on condition of anonymity.
We are mulling on providing body-worn cameras to commandos stationed in these vans. Apart from this, the training of personnel has been made more institutionalised, he said. “Every three months, the commandos will undergo training for physical agility. They will also be briefed about the city’s vulnerability to terror attacks, emerging terror threats, new modus operandi adopted by terrorists etc,” the officer said.
- Leopard found dead in Gurugram‚Äôs Taoru forest 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 50-year-old ASI commits suicide 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- NGT asks Civil Aviation Min to ensure use of reverse thrust by aircraft 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Criminal wanted in murder case held 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Security firm staff flees with Rs 1cr ATM cash 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Road rage: Man shot at in S Delhi 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 50-yr-old Okhla house caves in, 2 buried alive 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Woman kills toddler 25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Ram Madhav: PM Modi‚Äôs agenda not only for reform but also for transformation 25 Nov 2017 | Abhinav Singh
- Bakery unit owner gets 2 years in jail for polluting Yamuna 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Gautam Nagar police have nabbed a miscreant on Friday on the charge of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at Gautam Nagar on Friday. Police said that the accused Raj Sharma sexually assaulted the victim who was on her way home in the afternoon...