Cops to get 15 more Parakram vans
The Delhi Police will add 15 ‘Parakram’ vans manned by National Security Guards (NSG) trained drivers and commandos to its existing fleet of 10 such vans, as the force ramps up security in the run up to Independence Day. The Parakram vans, mandated for anti-terror and other operations warranting armed response, were launched by the city police in May.
The vans are GPRS-enabled and fitted with pan-Delhi wireless communication. Each van is manned by a National Security Guard-trained driver, in-charge and three commandos. The additional vans will cover all major vulnerable and high footfall points of the city, Dependra Pathak, special commissioner of police (Operations) and chief spokesperson of the Delhi Police, said.
The Parakram vans are at present stationed at Vijay Chowk, Palika Bazar, IP Marg, Select Citywalk Mall in Saket, Vasant Kunj Mall, Pacific Mall in Subhash Nagar, Netaji Subhash Place market and mall complex, Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple and Jhandewalan. The additional vans are likely to cover certain parts of trans-Yamuna, West, North and North west Delhi, New Delhi and South Delhi, Pathak said.
The police are also toying with the idea of making these vans more tech-savvy and those handling such vehicles better- equipped, said another officer on condition of anonymity.
We are mulling on providing body-worn cameras to commandos stationed in these vans. Apart from this, the training of personnel has been made more institutionalised, he said. “Every three months, the commandos will undergo training for physical agility. They will also be briefed about the city’s vulnerability to terror attacks, emerging terror threats, new modus operandi adopted by terrorists etc,” the officer said.
- Delhi Police‚Äôs dog squad to get 35 Army trained canines 26 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Realtor shot dead in Gurugram Sector 67 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Haryana Police asks UP counterparts to curb illegal firearms factories 26 Jul 2017 | Parvesh Sharma
- Delhi Govt forms body to name roads and institutions 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Gang of robbers arrested for impersonating as police officers 26 Jul 2017 | NISHTHA DHINGRA / MISHA BHATIA
- Chinese national arrested at IGI Airport for smuggling red sanders 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Another pleasant day for Delhiites 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- NMC allows women and children to use toilets in all hotels, restaurants for free 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 2 members of Tillu gang arrested 26 Jul 2017 | Srishti Garg
- GDA all set to launch pre-GST sale of 900 flats 26 Jul 2017 | SP Singh
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Taking a jibe at Woman and Child Development Minister Archana Chitnis, former Chief Minister and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior member Babulal Gaur on Tuesday said in the Assembly that he is hurt when the Minister does not keep her promise made in the House. While Chitnis was replying to a query posed by Moti Kashyap of the BJP on electricity arrangements in anganwadis, Gaur sought permission from Speaker...