Cops to get 15 more Parakram vans
The Delhi Police will add 15 ‘Parakram’ vans manned by National Security Guards (NSG) trained drivers and commandos to its existing fleet of 10 such vans, as the force ramps up security in the run up to Independence Day. The Parakram vans, mandated for anti-terror and other operations warranting armed response, were launched by the city police in May.
The vans are GPRS-enabled and fitted with pan-Delhi wireless communication. Each van is manned by a National Security Guard-trained driver, in-charge and three commandos. The additional vans will cover all major vulnerable and high footfall points of the city, Dependra Pathak, special commissioner of police (Operations) and chief spokesperson of the Delhi Police, said.
The Parakram vans are at present stationed at Vijay Chowk, Palika Bazar, IP Marg, Select Citywalk Mall in Saket, Vasant Kunj Mall, Pacific Mall in Subhash Nagar, Netaji Subhash Place market and mall complex, Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple and Jhandewalan. The additional vans are likely to cover certain parts of trans-Yamuna, West, North and North west Delhi, New Delhi and South Delhi, Pathak said.
The police are also toying with the idea of making these vans more tech-savvy and those handling such vehicles better- equipped, said another officer on condition of anonymity.
We are mulling on providing body-worn cameras to commandos stationed in these vans. Apart from this, the training of personnel has been made more institutionalised, he said. “Every three months, the commandos will undergo training for physical agility. They will also be briefed about the city’s vulnerability to terror attacks, emerging terror threats, new modus operandi adopted by terrorists etc,” the officer said.
- NGT calls for report on action plan for disposal of waste at Ghazipur 25 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Psychometric test for school employees likely 25 Sep 2017 | PNS
- Man arrested for raping niece in Pandav Nagar 25 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- To prohibit smoking, DMRC told to ban matchboxes, lighters on trains, at stations 25 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Wanted Russian fugitive sent to custody in city 25 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- MCD contractor found dead in Bawana godown 25 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Meenakshi Lekhi distributes aids worth Rs 40 lakh to 151 divyangs 23 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Travel discipline: CISF declares Jasola as model metro station 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- DMRC starts full signaling trials of driverless trains on Pink Line 23 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Trader shot at Ashok Vihar in Aug: 2 killers held, 2 on the run 23 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | AFP | Berlin
Chancellor Angela Merkel and her rival Martin Schulz rallied voters on the eve of Sunday’s vote, urging Germans to shun the first hard-right party expected to enter parliament in force since the end of World War II. Merkel, the clear frontrunner after 12 years in power with a double-digit lead, also told her conservative base not to get complacent and to cast their ballots, rousing them with a folksy call to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Sep 2017 | PNS | Indore
To observe the third anniversary of Swacchta Bharat Mission, various events are being held in city. Indore Mayor Malini Laxman Singh Gaud and Indore Municipal Corporation (IMC) Commissioner Manish Singh have instructed to organize events marking the D-day, ie October 2...