Cops to get 15 more Parakram vans
The Delhi Police will add 15 ‘Parakram’ vans manned by National Security Guards (NSG) trained drivers and commandos to its existing fleet of 10 such vans, as the force ramps up security in the run up to Independence Day. The Parakram vans, mandated for anti-terror and other operations warranting armed response, were launched by the city police in May.
The vans are GPRS-enabled and fitted with pan-Delhi wireless communication. Each van is manned by a National Security Guard-trained driver, in-charge and three commandos. The additional vans will cover all major vulnerable and high footfall points of the city, Dependra Pathak, special commissioner of police (Operations) and chief spokesperson of the Delhi Police, said.
The Parakram vans are at present stationed at Vijay Chowk, Palika Bazar, IP Marg, Select Citywalk Mall in Saket, Vasant Kunj Mall, Pacific Mall in Subhash Nagar, Netaji Subhash Place market and mall complex, Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple and Jhandewalan. The additional vans are likely to cover certain parts of trans-Yamuna, West, North and North west Delhi, New Delhi and South Delhi, Pathak said.
The police are also toying with the idea of making these vans more tech-savvy and those handling such vehicles better- equipped, said another officer on condition of anonymity.
We are mulling on providing body-worn cameras to commandos stationed in these vans. Apart from this, the training of personnel has been made more institutionalised, he said. “Every three months, the commandos will undergo training for physical agility. They will also be briefed about the city’s vulnerability to terror attacks, emerging terror threats, new modus operandi adopted by terrorists etc,” the officer said.
- Dalit bodies protest against Kejriwal, Modi 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Prahari Squads to curb petty crimes in G‚Äôgram 21 Jun 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- EDMC discusses desilting issues with other civic agencies 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rape accused Daati Maharaj‚Äôs bother called for questioning 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Ghaziabad civic body leader raises rampant encroachment issue 21 Jun 2018 | SP Singh
- Criminal with Rs2L reward on head among two arrested 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DDA officials get 4-yr RI for demanding bribe from eatery owner 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- DSGMC installs solar plates on roofs of Bangla Sahib, Rakab Ganj Sahib 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Land Pooling Policy: DDA hearing from July 2 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Turn off engines at red lights till green blinks 21 Jun 2018 | GAYATHRI MANI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jun 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Uttarakhand Transport Corporation (UTC) would use 180 buses of its fleet on Dehradun and Haridwar routes to ferry the Yoga participants from Haridwar and also to take them back after the International Yoga Day show at Forest Research Institute (FRI) in Dehradun is over. Divisional manager (Operational) UTC Dehradun, Pawan Mehra while talking to The pioneer said on Wednesday that around 280 busses operate from Dehradun depot...