- Swaraj condoles death of ex-Nepal PM Prachanda's son
- 'Padmavati' makers postpone film's release amid controversy
- Modi govt likely to get corruption tag as UPA II: Chidambaram
- Kovind, Modi pays tribute to Indira Gandhi on birth centenary
- Committed to improve sanitation facilities: Modi
- Leh freezes, Gulmarg coldest in Kashmir Valley
Customs seized 110 kg gold at IGIA this year till October
At least 110 kg of gold has been seized from smugglers at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) here from January till October this year, a senior customs official said on Sunday.
Though the number of gold smuggling cases registered this year by the customs is slightly more than last year's figure, the quantity of gold seized is 78 kg less compared to the total seizure made in 2016, the official said.
The official credited demonetisation for the decline in smuggling of gold. A total of 114 cases of smuggling were registered by the customs between January and October at the airport, he said.
In these cases, 110 kg of gold, valued at about Rs 37 crore, was seized, the official said, adding that 62 smugglers were arrested in these cases for their alleged involvement in illegal ferrying of the yellow metal.
In 2016, 110 cases were registered by the customs in which a whopping 188 kg gold, valued at Rs 48 crore, was seized, he said.
Seventy-nine people were arrested for their alleged involvement in gold smuggling by the customs last year, the official said.
Gold smuggling has taken a hit due to demonetisation as 'hawala' transactions, used to bring the yellow metal into the country, was completely stopped, he claimed.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on November 8, 2016, a ban on old Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes.The demand of gold has been traditionally high in the country as people prefer to invest in it for better returns.
Nearly 355 cases of gold smuggling were reported at the international airport in the financial year 2015-2016.
In these cases, authorities had seized 450 kg of gold, valued at a whopping Rs 132 crore, the customs official said.As many as 190 people were arrested in these cases.
About 240 cases of gold smuggling were reported in 2016- 17 fiscal. About 260 kg of gold, valued at Rs 76.31 crore, was seized by the customs at the Delhi airport, he said. As many as 100 people were arrested in these cases, the official said.
The seizure is also the result of stepped up surveillance at the airport to check smuggling. The customs officials maintain high vigil at the Delhi airport as it is one of the entry points in the country which registers maximum number of cases of gold smuggling.
- Will revive Gzb‚Äôs industrial character: Yogi 19 Nov 2017 | SP Singh
- Varsities need to innovate: Prez at DU Convocation 19 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Govt to merge 73 routes to enhance bus frequency 19 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Boyfriend held after ‚Äėsex on pretext of marriage‚Äô complaint 19 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 1 dies after being hit by vehicle on South Extension flyover 19 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Haryana gets 13 traffic police booths on NH 48 19 Nov 2017 | Parvesh Sharma
- Modi Govt cares less for future, focuses on past more: Dy CM 19 Nov 2017 | Abhinav Singh
- DCW issues notice to police over illegal liquor sale in Holambi Kalan, Jahangirpuri 19 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Give lesser sermons to kids: Sisodia 19 Nov 2017 | Abhinav Singh
- Air quality in Delhi improves, NGT defers decision on odd-even 18 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The report of the Special Task Force (STF) investigating the delay in registering an FIR in the gang rape case that had recently shaken the State Capital, would be out on Monday. The STF was formed to investigate the gang rape case and to find out the police officials who were guilty of not registering an FIR in the case...