Dilli Haat to take stink off Shahdara drain
With ‘Dilli Haat’ enjoying huge popularity among locals for its handicrafts and cuisine and becoming the hub for cultural events, the Delhi Government has decided to set up ‘Dilli Haat’ of the same model in East Delhi. The site of proposed ‘Dilli Haat’ has been identified and it will come up near Akshardham temple and Mayur Vihar phase I.
The new ‘Dilli Haat’, has been proposed to cover a part of the Shahdara drain near Mayur Vihar. The drain runs parallel to Yamuna riverbed along the Noida Link Road which has been built on an embankment that protects East Delhi from flooding.
The Capital's original ‘Dilli Haat’ near the INA Market in South Delhi was also built by covering a drain. The work on ‘Dilli Haat’ is expected to start from August.
The Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC), which is executing agency, has made a presentation before the Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit on the proposed design and drawing of the Haat on Thursday. Chief Secretary DM Spolia and other senior officials were also present.
“The ‘Dilli Haat’ at Mayur Vihar will be designed to mitigate any adverse impact on the surrounding environment and improve the Shahdara drain while adding value to the surrounding neighbourhood. The design will follow best practices in sustainable design, reducing the carbon footprint of the project and facilitating carbon sequestration through landscape design,” the presentation said.
The parking area will have designated zones for cars, two wheelers and bicycles. The main vehicular access and exit will be from Noida Link Road with a secondary entrance and exit provided at Mayur Vihar side of the Haat.
The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has already changed the land use of 27,000 square metres of land for commercial purpose.
It is noteworthy that Delhi Government has earlier identified a site at Geeta Colony for Dilli Haat but due to certain reason it could not be materialised.
- ‘Speedy modernisation of security forces must’ 25 May 2017 | Sapna Singh
- Hauz Khas Village under HC lens for illegal constructions 25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 3 held for killing Karol Bagh jeweller 25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Poor performance in MCD elections: Cong expels 73 members for 6 yrs 25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Sparks in Delhi Metro coach create panic, passengers deboarded 25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- AAP asks EC to reconsider terms of EVM hackathon 25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Mins, babus to meet public on weekdays 25 May 2017 | Rahiba R Parveen
- Cultural biography of Indian Rlys released 25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 60 portable traffic lights for Gurugram 25 May 2017 | Parvesh Sharma
- Killer bus snuffed out lives of bright student, sole breadwinner 25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
Reacting strongly to failure of the police to control caste clash in Saharanpur, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Wednesday suspended both District Magistrate, NP Singh and SSP Subhash Chandra Dubey, while the Divisional Commissioner and the range DIG have been removed. According to Principal Secretary (Information), Avinish Awasthi, PK Pande will be new DM of Saharanpur and SSP Muzaffarnagar, Babloo Kumar, has been posted as new district police chief of...