- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Dilli Haat to take stink off Shahdara drain
With ‘Dilli Haat’ enjoying huge popularity among locals for its handicrafts and cuisine and becoming the hub for cultural events, the Delhi Government has decided to set up ‘Dilli Haat’ of the same model in East Delhi. The site of proposed ‘Dilli Haat’ has been identified and it will come up near Akshardham temple and Mayur Vihar phase I.
The new ‘Dilli Haat’, has been proposed to cover a part of the Shahdara drain near Mayur Vihar. The drain runs parallel to Yamuna riverbed along the Noida Link Road which has been built on an embankment that protects East Delhi from flooding.
The Capital's original ‘Dilli Haat’ near the INA Market in South Delhi was also built by covering a drain. The work on ‘Dilli Haat’ is expected to start from August.
The Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC), which is executing agency, has made a presentation before the Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit on the proposed design and drawing of the Haat on Thursday. Chief Secretary DM Spolia and other senior officials were also present.
“The ‘Dilli Haat’ at Mayur Vihar will be designed to mitigate any adverse impact on the surrounding environment and improve the Shahdara drain while adding value to the surrounding neighbourhood. The design will follow best practices in sustainable design, reducing the carbon footprint of the project and facilitating carbon sequestration through landscape design,” the presentation said.
The parking area will have designated zones for cars, two wheelers and bicycles. The main vehicular access and exit will be from Noida Link Road with a secondary entrance and exit provided at Mayur Vihar side of the Haat.
The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has already changed the land use of 27,000 square metres of land for commercial purpose.
It is noteworthy that Delhi Government has earlier identified a site at Geeta Colony for Dilli Haat but due to certain reason it could not be materialised.
MORE City NEWS
- HC asks AIIMS panel if rape survivor’s pregnancy can be terminated 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
- Taking health care to students 27 Jul 2016 | Rajesh Kumar
- 10 times compensation to people embroiled in false power theft cases 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
- Kejriwal’s latest swipe at Modi over Y security to Ambani’s wife 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
- PWD to light up 7,428 ‘dark spots’ in city 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
- Youth kills self after African woman lover rejects marriage proposal 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
- DU’s own Columbia School of Journalism 27 Jul 2016 | Rahiba R Parveen
- 400 fever clinics to battle dengue ‘surge’ 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
- Auto-taxi strike hits commuters hard 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
- No cooperation from Govt, rue civic bodies 27 Jul 2016 | Staff Reporter
27 Jul 2016 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR/BARGARH
A delegation of the Congress legislature party led by Leader of Opposition Narasingha Mishra on Tuesday visited Chhattisgarh and made an on-spot assessment of the progress in the construction of barrages over river Mahanadi there. However, the team faced opposition from supporters of former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Ajit Jogi-led Chhattisgarh Janata Congress...
I want to appeal to the Bishnoi community, don't lose your heart. You have been fighting for the protection of wildlife and forest for age and will continue to do that.
I am not looking for a future in politics. I am an artist and I am not here to win an election. My stories speak what I want to say.
Hillary Clinton believes, US is a country where people of all backgrounds can make a home. But that America isn't possible if we allow Trump to build a wall that divides us.