Dilli Haat to take stink off Shahdara drain
With ‘Dilli Haat’ enjoying huge popularity among locals for its handicrafts and cuisine and becoming the hub for cultural events, the Delhi Government has decided to set up ‘Dilli Haat’ of the same model in East Delhi. The site of proposed ‘Dilli Haat’ has been identified and it will come up near Akshardham temple and Mayur Vihar phase I.
The new ‘Dilli Haat’, has been proposed to cover a part of the Shahdara drain near Mayur Vihar. The drain runs parallel to Yamuna riverbed along the Noida Link Road which has been built on an embankment that protects East Delhi from flooding.
The Capital's original ‘Dilli Haat’ near the INA Market in South Delhi was also built by covering a drain. The work on ‘Dilli Haat’ is expected to start from August.
The Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC), which is executing agency, has made a presentation before the Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit on the proposed design and drawing of the Haat on Thursday. Chief Secretary DM Spolia and other senior officials were also present.
“The ‘Dilli Haat’ at Mayur Vihar will be designed to mitigate any adverse impact on the surrounding environment and improve the Shahdara drain while adding value to the surrounding neighbourhood. The design will follow best practices in sustainable design, reducing the carbon footprint of the project and facilitating carbon sequestration through landscape design,” the presentation said.
The parking area will have designated zones for cars, two wheelers and bicycles. The main vehicular access and exit will be from Noida Link Road with a secondary entrance and exit provided at Mayur Vihar side of the Haat.
The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has already changed the land use of 27,000 square metres of land for commercial purpose.
It is noteworthy that Delhi Government has earlier identified a site at Geeta Colony for Dilli Haat but due to certain reason it could not be materialised.
- Scorching week ahead, says Met Dept 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NMC holds meet with stakeholders on eased building permit process 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 75-yr-old woman found murdered at her house 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Juvenile among two arrested for kidnapping, killing Gzb boy 21 Apr 2018 | SP Singh
- EC is biased, working at behest of PM: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DU V-C, BJP keep out city Govt's representatives from GB meetings: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- We have to fight to fulfil our promises: says Sisodia 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Couple arrested for duping people 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Maliwal refuses to budge despite Kejriwal's appeal 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC seals 10 properties for misuse in stilt parking 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Saturday inspected Anand Vihar ISBT area and reviewed issues related to traffic, parking, encroachment and sanitation. He directed Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Ltd (DIMTS) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation to remove all unauthorised encroachments near the entry point of Anand Vihar ISBT and surrounding footpaths to facilitate easy movement of pedestrians...