Dispute over Wakf land: Shia body threatens stir
Alleging an attempt to grab prime wakf land in Delhi, a Shia organisation on Tuesday threatened a mass agitation in the Capital if the land in Jor Bagh area is not handed over to the Wakf Board by the end of this month. Maulana Kalbe Jawad, general secretary of Majlis Ulema-e-Hind, alleged that the attempt to grab the piece of land in posh Jor Bagh area of the Capital is being made by a senior Congress leader.
It may be noted that the Shia’s had planned a march in protest against alleged encroachment on Karbala land in Jor Bagh area of South Delhi on Monday. Around 70 buses, loaded with scores of members of the community, had tried to enter the national Capital from UP via Ghazipur border in the afternoon that witnessed massive traffic gridlock across the region. Majority of people held the protesters responsible for the traffic chaos as the matter is sub judice in the Supreme Court. The protesters were keen to reach Jorbagh to join the protest. Tuesday’s conference was organised by Shias to justify their movement.
He also said that recent denotification of 123 wakf properties was another ploy to misleading the nation. He alleged that due to Congress’ patronage to the wakf land grabbers, Government agencies have been partisan who have failed to implement the orders of Delhi High Court about nursery at Karbala and construction of the boundary wall of the wakf land related to Dargah Shah-e-Mardan. “Despite seven High Court orders since 2005 till date for the construction of the boundary wall, the Government had never honoured the judicial orders. Whom we should approach if the Government has been too partial honouring the court orders,” he questioned.
- Govt’s apex committee holds review meet on flood control measures ahead of monsoon 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Assembly: 2-day special session from today 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 3 arrested for Malviya Nagar jewellery shop robbery on June 15 28 Jun 2017 | Vardha Pal/Devyani Vyas
- Stepfather kills 3-yr-old boy for wife’s attention 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Temp, humidity soar; hospitals see rise in diarrhoea cases 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Okhla shanty catches fire; 5 dead, 4 injured 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Police observes Int’l Day against drug abuse 27 Jun 2017 | Srishti Garg/Vardha Pal
- Police HQ a tinderbox! 27 Jun 2017 | Kanika Mehta
- Four thrash Flipkart’s courier office guard in E Delhi, rob Rs37 lakh 27 Jun 2017 | SR
- EDMC evokes ESMA to end strikes by sanitation staff 27 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 Jun 2017 | PNS | CHANDIGARH
After introducing a policy on purchase of land voluntarily offered for development projects, Haryana Government on Tuesday launched a web portal to provide a database of such available land and land sale offers in the State. Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched “ebhoomiharyana...