East civic body sets ball rolling for waste-to-energy plant at Ghazipur
The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) said it has set the ball rolling for setting up a waste-to-energy plant of 2,000 MT capacity at Ghazipur landfill site.
East Delhi Mayor Neema Bhagat said the corporation is concerned about such fire incidents and the idea now is to "recycle maximum garbage" and "leave minimum trash for dumping".
"We have taken action on disposal of landfill and we have begun the process for setting up the waste-to-energy plant having a capacity to process 2,000 MT of garbage.
"Besides, we have also initiated a plan whereby garbage generated by 2,500 families in Mayur Vihar-Phase I area would be converted to compost. So, the idea is to leave as less as possible for dumping," Bhagat said.
The blaze at the landfill site was extinguished in the early hours on Sunday after over seven hours of fire fighting operations, a fire official said.
The 45-m high landfill was shut down following an order by Lt Governor Anil Baijal in the wake of the collapse incident in which two persons were killed.
The landfill site was saturated in 2002. The civic body said ithad been looking for an alternative site for long, but a clearance from the NGT was needed.
The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) manages the landfill site that was started in 1984 and is spread over 29 acres.
According to officials, the permissible height for a garbage dump is 20 metres. Every day, 2,500-3000 metric tonnes of garbage is dumped at the Ghazipur site.
- JNU to study N-E tribals‚Äô traditional knowledge 24 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- No report of crop residue burning in city: Govt to NGT 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Crackdown on illicit liquor sale: 45 held in 19 days 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- All police stations to be under CCTV watch, HC told 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Civic bodies seal 52 shops for building rule violations 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Dengue spreads tentacles in city, 26 cases reported 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DDA gives in-principle nod to allot 2 sites 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tata power announces 50% cash back for 7 months on payments via Paytm 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Gangster Balraj Bhati gunned down in Noida 24 Apr 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- District committee approves Rs 216-cr Budget for Ghaziabad development 24 Apr 2018 | SP Singh
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...