East civic body sets ball rolling for waste-to-energy plant at Ghazipur
The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) said it has set the ball rolling for setting up a waste-to-energy plant of 2,000 MT capacity at Ghazipur landfill site.
East Delhi Mayor Neema Bhagat said the corporation is concerned about such fire incidents and the idea now is to "recycle maximum garbage" and "leave minimum trash for dumping".
"We have taken action on disposal of landfill and we have begun the process for setting up the waste-to-energy plant having a capacity to process 2,000 MT of garbage.
"Besides, we have also initiated a plan whereby garbage generated by 2,500 families in Mayur Vihar-Phase I area would be converted to compost. So, the idea is to leave as less as possible for dumping," Bhagat said.
The blaze at the landfill site was extinguished in the early hours on Sunday after over seven hours of fire fighting operations, a fire official said.
The 45-m high landfill was shut down following an order by Lt Governor Anil Baijal in the wake of the collapse incident in which two persons were killed.
The landfill site was saturated in 2002. The civic body said ithad been looking for an alternative site for long, but a clearance from the NGT was needed.
The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) manages the landfill site that was started in 1984 and is spread over 29 acres.
According to officials, the permissible height for a garbage dump is 20 metres. Every day, 2,500-3000 metric tonnes of garbage is dumped at the Ghazipur site.
- Allahabad HC Judge named as chairperson of DERC 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Four fake CBI officers arrested in Ghaziabad 23 Jun 2018 | SP Singh
- Metro‚Äôs Mundka-Bahadur Garh stretch to open on June 24 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Seven-member panel to look into issues faced by transgenders soon 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- EDMC gets SKOCH awards under solid waste mgmt category 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Govt bags four SKOCH Order-of-Merit awards 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Anil Baijal releases report on women safety 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi sees lowest load-shedding for June in 3 years 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tiwari expresses gratitude to Central Govt for providing relief to traders 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Woman held for carrying live bullets at IGI Airport 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | Lucknow
Cabinet minister and Suheldeo Bhartiya Samaj Party chief Om Prakash Rajbhar along with his supporters constructed a road in his village near Varanasi on Saturday. The minister, a compulsive dissident in the Yogi government, resorted to the extreme step maintaining that despite repeated requests, the Public Works Department (PWD) refused to construct the road...