- Indu Malhotra set to be SC judge
- Cong appoints Kamal Nath as MP unit prez, Scindia as campaign chief
- Our "real concern" is fair trial is conducted in Kathua case: SC
- One killed, 17 students injured in school van-tanker collision
- JeM commander killed in Tral gunfight: J&K DGP
- BCCI recommends Kohli for Khel Ratna, Dravid for Dronacharya, Gavaskar for Dhyan Chand
- Development our only agenda: PM tells Karnataka BJP workers
- 13 children killed as train hits school van at unmanned crossing
Ecozymes turn out to be boon for polluted Yamuna
Yamuna can regain its glory if enzyme treatment is administered into the river. Marked changes were noticed by the environmentalists after enzyme was poured into the Barapulla drain during the World Culture Festival (WCF) organised on Yamuna floodplains by Art of Living (AOL).
A project to clean Barapullah drain was undertaken in October through Ecozymes, an agro based product developed by Dr Rosukon in Thailand with green kitchen waste and brown sugar and adopted by the AOL for cleaning environment. It contains proteins, carbohydrates, fats and high energy with ‘pH Value (pH is a measure of how acidic/basic water is) around 3 and the reports have been approved by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL), Government of India.
Environment experts say that through bioremediation process (solvents are prepared and then poured into the river for cleaning), polluted Yamuna can be revived. Not only the 21 kilometre stretch of Yamuna but drains passing through the various areas of the national Capital can also be converted into green natural water bodies, they added.
Gopal Krishan, an environmentalist with Anti-Toxic Watch Alliance (ATWA) said that this scientific experiment merits attention because other researchers can put those enzymes in stretches other than Barapullah drain to compare the results to ascertain its effectiveness. If it indeed makes a change in the water quality without any adverse impact, it can be helpful in cleaning Yamuna and other water bodies too.
Krishan further said, “If the volunteers of Art of Living (AOL) took samples of water from the Yamuna before and after few days of enzyme treatment and found marked difference in the quality of water, AOL should share its findings for further work in this regard”.
Explaining the remedy to clean drains and the polluted river Yamuna, S Dhavan, Senior worker of AOL’s Chandigrah centre told The Pioneer, “Ecozyme is with a mixture of brown sugar, fruit and vegetable peels and water. The mixture was poured in the Barapullah drain and some part of the Yamuna. Econzyme is in fact amino acids, considered to be good agent of cleaning,” said Dhavan.
It may be noted that Delhi has 22 drains carrying 2,500 million litres of waste and polluted water into Yamuna River daily including Barapullah drain originates near Ashoka Hotel in New Delhi and flows through Lakshmi Bai Nagar, Defence Colony, Lajpat Nagar, Sarai Kale Khan, Barapullah and merges into Yamuna River. All these drains emit deadly gases and cause nauseating stench.
- After raid, jeweller jumps to death from DRI building 27 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- CM orders magisterial enquiry 27 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Accident leaves 7-yr-old girl‚Äôs family shattered 27 Apr 2018 | Kanika Mehta
- Cash van cashier, guard shot dead, `12L looted 27 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tarini embarks on final leg of global navigation 27 Apr 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Students force DU to keep Central Library open at night 27 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- AAP up in arms against proposed two landfill sites 27 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- L-G reviews traffic decongestion plans, progress of 11 main corridors 27 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Gupta accuses AAP Govt of fund denial to civic bodies 27 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Chawala elected SDMC Mayor, Satyapal deputy 27 Apr 2018 | Chandan Prakash
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Apr 2018 | PNS | Haridwar
Uttarakhand State police district/ BN athletics meet 2018 kicked off on Thursday following its inauguration by the State Cabinet Minister Madan Kaushik. Speaking to The Pioneer, the commandant of 40 battalion of the PAC Haridwar RL Sharma said that the main events which were held on Thursday included 200, 800 and 1500 metres race, long jump, discus throw, hurdle race and pole vault...