- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
Ecozymes turn out to be boon for polluted Yamuna
Yamuna can regain its glory if enzyme treatment is administered into the river. Marked changes were noticed by the environmentalists after enzyme was poured into the Barapulla drain during the World Culture Festival (WCF) organised on Yamuna floodplains by Art of Living (AOL).
A project to clean Barapullah drain was undertaken in October through Ecozymes, an agro based product developed by Dr Rosukon in Thailand with green kitchen waste and brown sugar and adopted by the AOL for cleaning environment. It contains proteins, carbohydrates, fats and high energy with ‘pH Value (pH is a measure of how acidic/basic water is) around 3 and the reports have been approved by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL), Government of India.
Environment experts say that through bioremediation process (solvents are prepared and then poured into the river for cleaning), polluted Yamuna can be revived. Not only the 21 kilometre stretch of Yamuna but drains passing through the various areas of the national Capital can also be converted into green natural water bodies, they added.
Gopal Krishan, an environmentalist with Anti-Toxic Watch Alliance (ATWA) said that this scientific experiment merits attention because other researchers can put those enzymes in stretches other than Barapullah drain to compare the results to ascertain its effectiveness. If it indeed makes a change in the water quality without any adverse impact, it can be helpful in cleaning Yamuna and other water bodies too.
Krishan further said, “If the volunteers of Art of Living (AOL) took samples of water from the Yamuna before and after few days of enzyme treatment and found marked difference in the quality of water, AOL should share its findings for further work in this regard”.
Explaining the remedy to clean drains and the polluted river Yamuna, S Dhavan, Senior worker of AOL’s Chandigrah centre told The Pioneer, “Ecozyme is with a mixture of brown sugar, fruit and vegetable peels and water. The mixture was poured in the Barapullah drain and some part of the Yamuna. Econzyme is in fact amino acids, considered to be good agent of cleaning,” said Dhavan.
It may be noted that Delhi has 22 drains carrying 2,500 million litres of waste and polluted water into Yamuna River daily including Barapullah drain originates near Ashoka Hotel in New Delhi and flows through Lakshmi Bai Nagar, Defence Colony, Lajpat Nagar, Sarai Kale Khan, Barapullah and merges into Yamuna River. All these drains emit deadly gases and cause nauseating stench.
- Diwali leaves Gurugram air five times more polluted 21 Oct 2017 | Parvesh Sharma
- CIC show cause notice to SDMC 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- BJP seeks better Chhath Puja arrangements from MCD, Govt 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Rai gets Yamuna ghats ready for Chhath Puja 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Unidentified body found in West Delhi 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Girl dies after falling into mixing plant 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Seven cops suspended for letting EC bribery case accused run free 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Day after dark Diwali, Jamia lights up 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Dengue claims 2 more lives in Capital 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Man killed for objecting to lout urinating near him 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
22 Oct 2017 | PTI | New Delhi
The Sharad Yadav faction of the Janata Dal (United) Party on Saturday announced election to party posts on March 11 and released a list of interim office-bearers, including Chhotubhai Vasava as working president and Ali Anwar as one of the vice-presidents. Yadav also released a list of presidents of party units in states at a press briefing...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...