Four nabbed for smuggling gold at IGIA
The customs department at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) in the national Capital arrested two women for allegedly trying to smuggle more than two kilogrammes of gold into India by hiding it in their rectum.
Besides them, two men have also been arrested for their involvement in the smuggling. The accused persons had adopted a unique modus operandi.
Both the men from Ulhasnagar in Mumbai had travelled to Bangkok to get the gold from one of their contacts there. From Bangkok, one of them came to Trivandrum and another landed in Chennai via Mauritius, a customs department official said. The accused men boarded separate flights to Delhi with the women accomplices.
The gold was handed over to the women in their respective flights to Delhi from Trivandrum and Chennai.
The women then concealed 1.2 kg gold each inside their rectum in the toilet of the plane, the official claimed. They were intercepted at the Delhi airport by the customs officials on Tuesday.
"On detailed examination of their baggage and personal search, 12 cut pieces of gold weighing 2.4 kgs having market value of Rs 71.64 lakh were recovered from the rectums of both the female passengers (1.2 kg from each passenger) who were travelling as domestic passengers," a customs department statement said. The gold was seized and all the four passengers were arrested, it said.
- Town Hall redevelopment: NMC wants PPP to run hotel, museum 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Monsoon likely to hit city between June 29 and July 1 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 28-yr-old man held at Nangloi metro station with live bullet 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PWD OK‚Äôs 7 FOBs, rejects proposal for 3 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhiites hug, tie green ribbon, pledge to save trees 25 Jun 2018 | Sapna Singh
- BSES fined Rs 20k in 10-yr-old power theft case 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Transfer building department to DDA, traders body suggests Puri 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Jail Chowk-Sohna Chowk diversion plan to ease traffic 25 Jun 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Media bodies demand action against Lal Singh for remarks against Kashmiri journalists 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Multiple applications to secure admission taking toll on server 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Recognising the intent and passion of the Central Sarna Committee in safeguarding tribal customs as well as in infusing modern practices into the tribal community, Chief Minister Raghubar Das called upon the people to extend their support to the cause. The Chief Minister, in the same breath, rapped 'anti-national' forces who he alleged are attacking open culture of the community and said that the Government is here to protect the rights...