Hoax call to blow up Red Fort sends police into tizzy
Security agencies went into a tizzy when a man claiming to be from Pakistan threatened to blow up the Red Fort. Apart from the Special Cell of Delhi Police, Intelligence Bureau and other intelligence agencies too have joined in the investigation to trace the call, which turned out to be hoax.
The caller turned out to be a man working at the reception of a hotel in Paharganj. Mahfuz Raja has been nabbed by the Delhi Police.
During questioning, Mahfuz told police after watching news related to Kashmir, he thought of making a prank call. According to a senior police official, they received the call around 7.30 pm at the Begumpur police station.
Police said that the call was received by one Nitin Kumar. He informed the local police that he was attending his digital marketing class when he got a call on Saturday evening around 7 pm from a man, claiming to be from Pakistan.
Investigators said that the caller said there is going to be a bomb blast at the Red Fort around 8.30 pm. He also claimed that a bomb has been planted in a hotel in Connaught Place.
Once Nitin informed the local police, teams from all units of the Delhi Police started investigation and tracked the caller to be in Delhi.
Police said that they rushed to Nitin Kumar’s house in Rohini. He was called to the Prashant Vihar police station since he was closer to it, and the caller was traced to a hotel in Paharganj.
Personnel from the Paharganj police station rushed to the hotel and arrested 22-year-old Mehfuz.
Mehfuz is a native of Kishanganj in Bihar and was working at the reception in the hotel for the past couple of years. He told the police that he had made the call just for “fun” and had randomly dialled a couple of numbers.The others did not take his call, and it was only Nitin Kumar who responded.
- Scorching week ahead, says Met Dept 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NMC holds meet with stakeholders on eased building permit process 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 75-yr-old woman found murdered at her house 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Juvenile among two arrested for kidnapping, killing Gzb boy 21 Apr 2018 | SP Singh
- EC is biased, working at behest of PM: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DU V-C, BJP keep out city Govt's representatives from GB meetings: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- We have to fight to fulfil our promises: says Sisodia 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Couple arrested for duping people 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Maliwal refuses to budge despite Kejriwal's appeal 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC seals 10 properties for misuse in stilt parking 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Saturday inspected Anand Vihar ISBT area and reviewed issues related to traffic, parking, encroachment and sanitation. He directed Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Ltd (DIMTS) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation to remove all unauthorised encroachments near the entry point of Anand Vihar ISBT and surrounding footpaths to facilitate easy movement of pedestrians...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Apr 2018 | Mukesh Ranjan | Ranchi
Billed as a test run for the Lok Sabha and Assembly elections slated next year, the BJP captured major chunk of top seats in 34 urban local bodies, including five municipal corporations in the State, Ranchi, Hazaribagh, Adityrapur, Giridih and Medininagar, elections for which were held on April 16. The outcome demonstrated that that the urban voters have reposed faith in the BJP, the ruling party in the State...