Hoax call to blow up Red Fort sends police into tizzy
Security agencies went into a tizzy when a man claiming to be from Pakistan threatened to blow up the Red Fort. Apart from the Special Cell of Delhi Police, Intelligence Bureau and other intelligence agencies too have joined in the investigation to trace the call, which turned out to be hoax.
The caller turned out to be a man working at the reception of a hotel in Paharganj. Mahfuz Raja has been nabbed by the Delhi Police.
During questioning, Mahfuz told police after watching news related to Kashmir, he thought of making a prank call. According to a senior police official, they received the call around 7.30 pm at the Begumpur police station.
Police said that the call was received by one Nitin Kumar. He informed the local police that he was attending his digital marketing class when he got a call on Saturday evening around 7 pm from a man, claiming to be from Pakistan.
Investigators said that the caller said there is going to be a bomb blast at the Red Fort around 8.30 pm. He also claimed that a bomb has been planted in a hotel in Connaught Place.
Once Nitin informed the local police, teams from all units of the Delhi Police started investigation and tracked the caller to be in Delhi.
Police said that they rushed to Nitin Kumar’s house in Rohini. He was called to the Prashant Vihar police station since he was closer to it, and the caller was traced to a hotel in Paharganj.
Personnel from the Paharganj police station rushed to the hotel and arrested 22-year-old Mehfuz.
Mehfuz is a native of Kishanganj in Bihar and was working at the reception in the hotel for the past couple of years. He told the police that he had made the call just for “fun” and had randomly dialled a couple of numbers.The others did not take his call, and it was only Nitin Kumar who responded.
- Hero Honda Chowk flyover opens 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Bhajanpura senior citizen murder case solved; 1 held 25 Jul 2017 | MISHA BHATIA/NISHTHA DHINGRA
- Fire breaks out at Lok Nayak Bhawan; no casualty 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- MCDs on high alert as vector-borne diseases skyrocket 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- S Delhi to face water problem on Wednesday, Thursday: DJB 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Pipeline bursts near Laxmi Nagar Metro Station 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Road Rage: Policeman‚Äôs son stabbed many times 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- CBI court awards death penalty to Pandher, Koli 25 Jul 2017 | SP Singh
- Man caught carrying bullet at IGIA during security check 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Sunanda Pushkar death: Delhi Police submits status report 25 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jul 2017 | PNS | HAZARIBAGH
The Hazaribagh district unit of Sanskar Bharti organized Rangoli-Mehndi competition in the premises of Hindu +2 High School. Despite continuous rain 140 participated in the Rangoli competition and 78 in Mehndi competition...