Hoax call to blow up Red Fort sends police into tizzy
Security agencies went into a tizzy when a man claiming to be from Pakistan threatened to blow up the Red Fort. Apart from the Special Cell of Delhi Police, Intelligence Bureau and other intelligence agencies too have joined in the investigation to trace the call, which turned out to be hoax.
The caller turned out to be a man working at the reception of a hotel in Paharganj. Mahfuz Raja has been nabbed by the Delhi Police.
During questioning, Mahfuz told police after watching news related to Kashmir, he thought of making a prank call. According to a senior police official, they received the call around 7.30 pm at the Begumpur police station.
Police said that the call was received by one Nitin Kumar. He informed the local police that he was attending his digital marketing class when he got a call on Saturday evening around 7 pm from a man, claiming to be from Pakistan.
Investigators said that the caller said there is going to be a bomb blast at the Red Fort around 8.30 pm. He also claimed that a bomb has been planted in a hotel in Connaught Place.
Once Nitin informed the local police, teams from all units of the Delhi Police started investigation and tracked the caller to be in Delhi.
Police said that they rushed to Nitin Kumar’s house in Rohini. He was called to the Prashant Vihar police station since he was closer to it, and the caller was traced to a hotel in Paharganj.
Personnel from the Paharganj police station rushed to the hotel and arrested 22-year-old Mehfuz.
Mehfuz is a native of Kishanganj in Bihar and was working at the reception in the hotel for the past couple of years. He told the police that he had made the call just for “fun” and had randomly dialled a couple of numbers.The others did not take his call, and it was only Nitin Kumar who responded.
- Dalit bodies protest against Kejriwal, Modi 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Prahari Squads to curb petty crimes in G‚Äôgram 21 Jun 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- EDMC discusses desilting issues with other civic agencies 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rape accused Daati Maharaj‚Äôs bother called for questioning 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Ghaziabad civic body leader raises rampant encroachment issue 21 Jun 2018 | SP Singh
- Criminal with Rs2L reward on head among two arrested 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DDA officials get 4-yr RI for demanding bribe from eatery owner 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- DSGMC installs solar plates on roofs of Bangla Sahib, Rakab Ganj Sahib 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Land Pooling Policy: DDA hearing from July 2 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Turn off engines at red lights till green blinks 21 Jun 2018 | GAYATHRI MANI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jun 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Uttarakhand Transport Corporation (UTC) would use 180 buses of its fleet on Dehradun and Haridwar routes to ferry the Yoga participants from Haridwar and also to take them back after the International Yoga Day show at Forest Research Institute (FRI) in Dehradun is over. Divisional manager (Operational) UTC Dehradun, Pawan Mehra while talking to The pioneer said on Wednesday that around 280 busses operate from Dehradun depot...