In-laws go missing after woman dies on Karva Chauth; family cries foul

| | New Delhi

A 36-year-old woman allegedly committed suicide at her in-laws’ residence in West Delhi’s Hari Nagar area on the evening of Karva Chauth.

Hours before taking the extreme step, the woman had posted on her Facebook profile that she had kept a fast for her husband, who lives in the USA, on Karva Chauth.

Police said that they have not recovered any suicide note from the possession of the woman.

Meanwhile, family members of Anita, the deceased, claimed that she was facing tremendous physical and mental trauma at the hands of her in-laws.

Anita’s brother Kishore told The Pioneer, “Anita had got married to Kumar Sambhav on March 9, 2015. However, 20 days after the wedding, Kumar left for the USA. He promised to call my sister there once her Visa and other documents were prepared. But he did not keep his promise. For the past two-and-a-half-years, Kumar was in touch with Anita but did nothing to let her come to him in the US.”

On the night of Karva Chauth, at around 10.30 pm, Anita’s parents got a call from Jai Lal, father-in-law of Anita, a retired bank officer.

“He said that Anita had died. By the time we reached their house, they were nowhere to be found,” Kishore said.

Claiming that Anita was tortured on earlier occasions, Kishore said, “On September 18, Anita was beaten by her mother-in-law Satya. Her in-laws were demanding Rs 20 lakh from us. When we went to their residence in Janakpuri, they sought an apology and we settled the matter. The trigger behind Anita’s mother-in-law was not just money, Anita too had got to know that Kumar was married and has children. When we raised this matter, they promised us that they would definitely send Anita to the US, after which the matter will be resolved.”

Substantiating claims of his sister’s harassment, Kishore said, “My sister had even written notes about the harassment by her in-laws. She put down the details in four to five letters. Police can still find those letters in her cupboard.”

Talking about the marriage, Kishore said, “My sister had an arranged marriage. Like any family, we wanted her to stay happily with her in-laws. But that was not to be and my sister died.”

“We informed the police about Anita’s death. Police said that Anita died due to asphyxiation,” he said.

On Tuesday, family members of Anita along with the residents of the area staged a protest outside the Hari Nagar Police Station with her body. “Anita’s in-laws are missing since we informed police about her death”, the family added.

“We went to the police station to demand justice but in vain,” they said.

A senior police investigator said, “During enquiry, Anita’s family told us that her husband was living in the US and is already married. He claimed to have two petrol pumps and two properties there. We are trying to trace the in-laws to verify what led to Anita ending her life.”



Sunday Edition

View All

Business Corner

18 Mar 2018 | PNS

AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...

Read More


View All

Suicide: Ajay charge against CM

19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal

Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...

Read More

Page generated in 0.1993 seconds.