- Chidambaram attacks TN Speaker for disqualifying 18 MLAs
- US resumes premium processing of H-1B visas
- Dawood's brother Iqbal Kaskar arrested in extortion case
- Intolerance, unemployment key issues facing India: Rahul Gandhi
- India seeks probe into nuclear proliferation links between Pak, N Korea
- Suu Kyi appeals to global community over Rohingya crisis
Modern-day Robin Hood with lavish tastes nabbed
Delhi Police has arrested a 27-year-old suspected burglar, who used to use a part of what he stole and organise health camps in his native village in Bihar. The accused used to do this with an accomplice and led a lavish lifestyle, police said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police, south-east district, Romil Baaniya said the accused has been identified as Irfan, who was arrested on July 6 from his native village in Sitamarhi district of Bihar.
On May 24, a man named Rajeev Khanna filed a police complaint alleging that gold and diamond jewellery had been stolen from his home in southeast Delhi's New Friends Colony, the police official said.
The police scanned CCTV footages from burglary prone areas of New Friends Colony to identify the accused. Subsequently, it was found that a man from Sitamarhi, Bihar is committing burglaries in these areas. Police also arrested Dharmender who used to buy the booty from Irfan. Stolen jewellery weighing 320 gram has been recovered from them.
During night hours, Irfan used to roam in posh colonies of the NCR. On finding locked premises, he would break open the doors or window and decamp with valuables, said the police official.
He always remained bare foot while committing theft in houses and would generally commit burglaries alone, he added. He was used to spending money in bars and clubs in Mumbai and Delhi.
In one of the bars in Delhi, he offered to give Rs 10,000 to hear a song of his choice, the DCP said.
He was living a luxurious life with access to latest cars and fashionable clothes and he was quite active on social media. He would also spend money to impress his girlfriends.
"He maintained a larger-than-life image in his native area. He would often fund health camps for people in his village," said Baaniya.
Irfan claims to have committed burglaries in UP and Punjab as well, the DCP added.
- GDA facing staff crunch 19 Sep 2017 | SP Singh
- Implement time-bound cleaning methods: HC 19 Sep 2017 | PTI
- SDMC dedicates two FCTS for West Zone 19 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Hospitals to use Elisa tests to diagnose cases 19 Sep 2017 | Chandan Prakash
- Single window help for dengue, malaria patients 19 Sep 2017 | Chandan Prakash
- Dengue cases touch 2,215 in Capital 19 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- RML Hospital doctor commits suicide at his residence 19 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- JNU to replace sexual harassment committee with complaints panel 19 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Drive against errant school vehicles put on hold till september 28 19 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- State funeral for war hero Arjan Singh 19 Sep 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Sep 2017 | PNS | New Delhi
MP warns against fake ads Koderma MP Ravindra Kumar Roy has warned youths to beware of fake job advertisements for KISAN TV Channel as a gang is cheating on the name of the job in this TV channel. Roy appealed to the youths not come in such a hoax as in the name of training they are asking youths to deposit money in their accounts...