Notice to Pierce Brosnan for surrogate pan masala ad
The Delhi Government’s Health Department has issued a show cause notice to Hollywood actor Pierce Brosnan for appearing in a surrogate advertisement of an Indian pan masala brand. The Cigarette and Other Tobacco Product Act, 2003 bans all kind of direct and indirect advertisements of tobacco products.
Additional Director (Health) SK Arora said they have come to know that promotion of a tobacco and pan masala brand was being done through media platforms and points of sale, shops and other vendors throughout India.”It may be noted that Mr Pierce Brosnan who is promoting the brand in media, TV channel, vendors and others if any have also become party to this violation and are likely to be punished as per COTPA 2003,” read the notice.
Areca nut (supari) in pan masala has cancer causing agent which has been scientifically proven and Brosnan, an actor who is a role model for lakhs of people especially youngsters, should not indulge in promotion of such hazardous products, it read.
The Irish actor has been asked to clarify his position within 10 days.
The 63-year-old star had earlier said his contract stated that he was to advertise a “breath freshener/tooth whitener” and that he was shocked and saddened by the deceptive use of his image in the pan masala brand’s advertisement.
The city government also asked the pan masala group why appropriate punitive action be not initiated against its directors and office-bearers.
- Woman hit by truck while crossing road, dies; driver escapes 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- MCD reports absolve Max doctors of negligence: Police 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- National Zoological Park to organise summer training programme from May 22 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Man, who killed 16-yr-old girl fortnight ago, held 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Brazilian woman held for smuggling cocaine in capsules at IGI airport 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Software engineer dies mysteriously in DDA pool 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 25-year-old man found murdered in Narela park 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- City witnesses sultry weather, strong winds likely today 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Need for rehab policy on child rapes: Experts 21 May 2018 | PTI
- CBSE exams: More boys called for counselling than girls 21 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...