Schools selling books, uniforms, stationary is violation of norms: CBSE
Having taken a dim view of the schools selling stationary, books and uniforms, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has asked schools affiliated to it that educational institutions are not commercial establishments and sale of books, uniforms and stationery by them is a violation of norms.
CBSE has issued an advisory after it refused innumerable complaints from the parents and stakeholders that schools are indulging in commercial activities by way of selling books and uniforms within the school premises or through selected vendors.
“The board has taken a serious view of the complaints and the schools are directed to desist from the unhealthy practice of coercing parents to buy textbooks, notebooks, stationary, uniforms, shoes, school bags etc from within the premise or from selected vendors only,” the communication sent to schools stated.
“CBSE norms mandate that schools are run as community service and not as a business and that commercialisation does not take place in the school in any shape whatsoever. Educational institutions are not commercial establishments and their sole purpose is to provide quality education,” it added.
The CBSE has also reiterated its directive to schools to stick to books published by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
“The Board receives reports and complaints regarding the pressure exercised by schools on children and their parents to buy textbooks other than (that of) NCERT,” it said.
Following complaints about shortage of NCERT books, the CBSE had asked schools to raise online indent for NCERT textbooks and more than 2,000 schools had participated in that. Union Human Resources Development (HRD) Minister Prakash Javadekar recently said that NCERT textbooks have been supplied to 2,000 private schools.
- Govt’s apex committee holds review meet on flood control measures ahead of monsoon 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Assembly: 2-day special session from today 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 3 arrested for Malviya Nagar jewellery shop robbery on June 15 28 Jun 2017 | Vardha Pal/Devyani Vyas
- Stepfather kills 3-yr-old boy for wife’s attention 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Temp, humidity soar; hospitals see rise in diarrhoea cases 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Okhla shanty catches fire; 5 dead, 4 injured 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Police observes Int’l Day against drug abuse 27 Jun 2017 | Srishti Garg/Vardha Pal
- Police HQ a tinderbox! 27 Jun 2017 | Kanika Mehta
- Four thrash Flipkart’s courier office guard in E Delhi, rob Rs37 lakh 27 Jun 2017 | SR
- EDMC evokes ESMA to end strikes by sanitation staff 27 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 Jun 2017 | PNS | CHANDIGARH
After introducing a policy on purchase of land voluntarily offered for development projects, Haryana Government on Tuesday launched a web portal to provide a database of such available land and land sale offers in the State. Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched “ebhoomiharyana...