Speeding tempo kills 2 DTC bus drivers, 6 hurt
Two DTC bus drivers were killed while six others sustained serious injuries under the Madhuban Chowk underpass when a speeding tempo rammed into a bike and a group of men. The accident happened in the wee hours of Friday.
Narrating the exact sequence of events, Sumit Kumar, one of the injured, said, “At around 10:40 pm, the bus heading towards Sultanpuri broke down under the Madhuban Chowk underpass. Following which, we informed the nearest bus depot and called in the mechanics. Since it was getting late, we also called in another driver, Sunil, who brought food.
“It was pitch dark under the underpass so we switched on the lights on our mobile phones and also switched on the lights of the rear side of the bus. Suddenly we saw a speeding tempo coming on our side of the carriageway. Though we waved at the driver to stop but he did not,” he added.
The deceased have been identified as DTC drivers, 36-year-old Sunil Kumar and Pramod Kumar. While Pramod Kumar was the one who was driving the DTC bus, Sunil Kumar was called in to get some food.
Among the injured are Sumit Singh, conductor of the bus, Sukhpreet, Mohan Kumar Mishra, Mohd Abrar, Ananda (all are mechanics) and Bhubneshwar Jha (another mechanic who was on the bike).
The tempo driver, Karan Singh was arrested by the Rani Bagh police personnel.
“The driver was caught by the locals and handed over to the police. “We have arrested the driver and seized the vehicle,” Milind Dumbere, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West), said.
The bus, which belonged to Rohini Depot-3 had broken down, and was being repaired near the Madhuban Chowk Underpass around 12.30 am when the speeding tempo rammed into it from behind, the police said.
- CBSE initiative helping girl students crack JEE-Mains 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Baijal approves redrawing of zonal boundaries under NMC 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Hospital vendors to be paid within 30 days of billing: Delhi Govt 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Postings racket: Court extends CBI custody of all 4 accused by 3 days 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- AIIMS to make cheaper diagnostic tests free 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- More underpasses, flyovers to unclog Gurugram traffic 17 Aug 2017 | Parvesh Sharma
- Tata Power-DDL wins solar innovation, excellence award 2017 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Nepalese man killed by brother over money 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Cong expels block prez, ex-councillor for indulging in anti-party activities 17 Aug 2017 | SR
- Four held for theft of phones, laptops; police claim to solve 50 cases 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
On the occasion of 71st Independence Day, a delegation from 10 nations of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) led by Ram Madhav (Director, India Foundation) visited Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya. The Independence Day celebrations commenced with hosting of the national flag by Ram Madhav and Prof Sarit Kumar Chaudhuri (Director, IGRMS) followed by National Anthem...