Sri Sri slammed for blaming Govt, NGT for damage to Yamuna plains
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday termed as “shocking” the charge levelled by spiritual figure Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and his NGO ‘Art of Living’ against the Government and the green panel for the damage to the Yamuna floodplains, saying he had “no sense of responsibility”.
“You have no sense of responsibility. Just because you have filed an application doesn’t give you the liberty to say whatever you want to. It is shocking,” a Bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar said.
Two days ago, Ravi Shankar had blamed the Government and the NGT for permitting AOL to hold the festival on the Yamuna river bed and said they should be held responsible if any environmental damage was caused.
The strong remarks by the NGT came after advocate Sanjay Parikh, appearing for petitioner Manoj Misra, informed the Bench about Ravi Shankar’s recent statement blaming the Government and the NGT for permitting his NGO to hold the three-day World Culture Festival on the Yamuna floodplains from March 11-13 last year.
The NGT had then allowed AOL to hold the festival while expressing helplessness in banning the event saying it was a “fait accompli”.
Parikh also told the green Bench that the AOL head has been repeatedly levelling allegations against the NGT.
He said Ravi Shankar had posted a statement on the website of the AOL and his Facebook page and also addressed the media in a written statement.
Hours after the hearing, AOL issued a statement saying it has requested the Bench to hear its application on the “bias” of the Expert Committee members.
“Counsel of Manoj Misra read out the statement from the Art of Living website. The tribunal did not consider it. Media reports about the NGT coming down heavily on the Art of Living are not true,” a statement from AOL said.
During the hearing, Parikh said the initial amount of Rs five crore, which AOL had deposited as environment compensation, should be used for restoration of the damaged Yamuna floodplains.
The court, however, did not consider this and directed the AOL and other parties in the case to file their responses and objections on the expert panel’s findings within two weeks after taking the report on record. It posted the matter for further hearing on May 9.
The counsel, appearing for the AOL foundation, contested the findings of the expert panel, saying they had certain objections to it and sought that the report be set aside.
On April 18, Ravi Shankar had blamed the government and the NGT for permitting AOL to hold the festival on the floodplains and said they should be held responsible if any environmental damage was caused.
The AOL head had said his foundation had obtained all necessary permissions, including from the green panel, and the event could have been stopped in the beginning itself if river Yamuna was so “fragile and pure”.
An expert committee had told the NGT that a whopping Rs 42.02 crore would be required to restore Yamuna floodplains which was ravaged due to the cultural extravaganza last year.
The expert panel had suggested that there would be two components of rehabilitation plan -- physical and biological, which would cost Rs 28.73 crore and Rs l3.29 crore respectively, besides additional ancillary expenses.
- Bid to nab men who killed dog in Vasant Vihar 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- NSUI to focus on women‚Äôs safety, fee rationalisation 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 2 Africans held with drugs worth Rs 40 cr 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Bombs in HC call a hoax: Police 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Dispute between SDMC, IAF over payment of service charges resolved 18 Aug 2017 | CHANDAN PRAKASH
- Road safety meet: Safe school travel, free pavements top agenda 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Man molests Hong Kong minor on pretext of help in S Delhi, on run 18 Aug 2017 | Souvik Mitra
- New Metro Policy to hit phase-IV 18 Aug 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
- CBSE initiative helping girl students crack JEE-Mains 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Baijal approves redrawing of zonal boundaries under NMC 17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | bhopal
A 35-year-old dalit woman's nose was allegedly slashed and her husband was beaten by two members of an upper caste family at Renvjha village in Sagar district of Madhya Pradesh. Narendra Singh (32) and his father Sahab Singh beat up the woman's husband on Monday when he refused to go to their house and do some work, inspector RS Bagri of Surkhi police station said...