Taxi driver nabbed for raping 23-yr-old girl near Red Fort
A 23-year-old woman was raped by a taxi driver, who, on the pretext of dropping the woman to ISBT from New Delhi Railway Station, took her to a secluded spot near Red Fort, on Monday night. Acting on the victims complaint, police on Wednesday arrested the cab driver. Police sources said that the victim was also robbed by the driver of her luggage.
According to police, the complainant in her statement said that she reached the railway station around 11 pm on Monday from Noida, where her brother lives and bought a general train ticket of for Ludhiana.
“She said, as her train was scheduled to leave from platform number 8 at 4.30 am the next day, she chose to wait in a waiting room at the railway station. It was around 2 am that she found a man aged around 30 years, who introduced himself as a taxi driver and joined her in the waiting room. After sometime the man told woman that her train was cancelled and that her ticket too can’t be cancelled now, as it’s late,” said a senior police officer.
The man then told the victim that he is a taxi driver and would drop her at inter state bus terminal so that she can board a bus to Ludhiana. “On this pretext, the victim said, he took her to a secluded park near Red Fort and raped her inside his taxi. He then dropped her at Old Delhi Railway Station and sped away,” police said.
DCP North, Jatin Narwal said that acting on woman’s complaint, within hours a police team on the basis of local intelligence and technical surveillance, arrested the taxi driver, who was identified as Chunnu Kumar, the DCP said.
- Trend of ignoring mother languages by terming them dialect: NCERT prof 22 Feb 2018 | Abhinav Singh
- ‚ÄėWestern neighbour behind influx of Bangladeshis into N-E‚Äô 22 Feb 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Kidnapped 14-yr-old girl rescued in 24 hrs from Rajasthan 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Class VII student of Gurugram school threatens to rape teacher, her minor daughter in FB post 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Man films girl while bathing, held 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Sisodia approves setting-up of Ist Innovation Centre for city 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- BJP demands police action against Kejriwal, Sisodia 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Business as usual at Secretariat 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Dalit, Muslim MLAs targeted: AAP 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Baijal submits report to MHA 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Feb 2018 | PNS | JAJPUR
Around 1,500 villagers on Thursday protested in front of the Tehasil office at Dharmasala of Jajpur district against a proposed cement plant at village Haridaspur. They demanded that construction of the Ramco Cement Limited (RCL) project be stopped...