Two Swaraj India candidates switch to BJP; Amrita Rashmi sacked
Fledgling Swaraj India suffered a jolt after two of its candidates contesting the upcoming MCD polls ditched the party to join the BJP. The party has sacked Amrita Rashmi, candidate from ward No 24S Bapriola under the South Delhi MCD, after BJP leaders were found to be campaigning for her.
“After it was brought to our notice, we immediately sacked Amrita Rashmi from the party,” Swaraj India spokesperson Anupam said. Its other candidate Twinkle Kalia is being supported by the BJP.
Known for driving an ambulance to ferry road accident victims to hospital free of cost, Kalia is contesting from Ward No 81N in Kishan Ganj under the North MCD.
“Kalia said, she wants be a joint candidate of the BJP and Swaraj India. This was unacceptable to us as we don’t want to be seen in alliance with the BJP,” Anupam added.
Interestingly, if the two candidates win, there is a legal lacuna that will help the two escape action under the anti-defection law.
“Although they are Swaraj India candidates, they technically remain independent as we have not been alloted a common symbol.
- Cops to take forensic psychology‚Äôs help 22 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Baijal reviews safety of people from North-East 22 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Woman among three held for blackmail, extortion 22 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- AAP Govt to develop 400 ghats for Chhath 22 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- School to conduct extra classes for students: DC 22 Sep 2017 | Parvesh Sharma
- Bio-stabilisation started at Ghazipur landfill site: EDMC 21 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 23-yr-old woman, boyfriend held for robbing own house at Seelampur 21 Sep 2017 | SR
- Bihar don arrested near New Delhi Rly Station 21 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Govt must check noise levels of loudspeakers at mosques: NGT 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Man rapes, tries to kill minor at Karol Bagh 21 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
A day-long special session of Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly will be held on Friday. The session would carry out Government business, a Chhattisgarh Assembly press release informed ...