Two Swaraj India candidates switch to BJP; Amrita Rashmi sacked
Fledgling Swaraj India suffered a jolt after two of its candidates contesting the upcoming MCD polls ditched the party to join the BJP. The party has sacked Amrita Rashmi, candidate from ward No 24S Bapriola under the South Delhi MCD, after BJP leaders were found to be campaigning for her.
“After it was brought to our notice, we immediately sacked Amrita Rashmi from the party,” Swaraj India spokesperson Anupam said. Its other candidate Twinkle Kalia is being supported by the BJP.
Known for driving an ambulance to ferry road accident victims to hospital free of cost, Kalia is contesting from Ward No 81N in Kishan Ganj under the North MCD.
“Kalia said, she wants be a joint candidate of the BJP and Swaraj India. This was unacceptable to us as we don’t want to be seen in alliance with the BJP,” Anupam added.
Interestingly, if the two candidates win, there is a legal lacuna that will help the two escape action under the anti-defection law.
“Although they are Swaraj India candidates, they technically remain independent as we have not been alloted a common symbol.
- Scorching week ahead, says Met Dept 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NMC holds meet with stakeholders on eased building permit process 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 75-yr-old woman found murdered at her house 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Juvenile among two arrested for kidnapping, killing Gzb boy 21 Apr 2018 | SP Singh
- EC is biased, working at behest of PM: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DU V-C, BJP keep out city Govt's representatives from GB meetings: AAP 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- We have to fight to fulfil our promises: says Sisodia 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Couple arrested for duping people 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Maliwal refuses to budge despite Kejriwal's appeal 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC seals 10 properties for misuse in stilt parking 21 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH | New Delhi
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) will launch its own state-of-the art “Incubation and Innovation Centre” that would act as a hub of ideas, research, innovations and start-up by students and faculty. Slated to start from the next year, the centre would incubate those ideas and plans that are of some commercial value or of some social importance...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Kanker
The District Project Office, Rajiv Gandhi Shiksha Mission, Kanker had given a proposal under District Mineral Fund (DMF) for installation/ construction of special prefabricated school building structure for eight Primary and one Upper Primary Schools functioning at various locations of Antagarh, officials informed. The proposal has been sanctioned and now it is intended to start the work as soon as possible and complete it before the start of new academic session,...