Two Swaraj India candidates switch to BJP; Amrita Rashmi sacked
Fledgling Swaraj India suffered a jolt after two of its candidates contesting the upcoming MCD polls ditched the party to join the BJP. The party has sacked Amrita Rashmi, candidate from ward No 24S Bapriola under the South Delhi MCD, after BJP leaders were found to be campaigning for her.
“After it was brought to our notice, we immediately sacked Amrita Rashmi from the party,” Swaraj India spokesperson Anupam said. Its other candidate Twinkle Kalia is being supported by the BJP.
Known for driving an ambulance to ferry road accident victims to hospital free of cost, Kalia is contesting from Ward No 81N in Kishan Ganj under the North MCD.
“Kalia said, she wants be a joint candidate of the BJP and Swaraj India. This was unacceptable to us as we don’t want to be seen in alliance with the BJP,” Anupam added.
Interestingly, if the two candidates win, there is a legal lacuna that will help the two escape action under the anti-defection law.
“Although they are Swaraj India candidates, they technically remain independent as we have not been alloted a common symbol.
- Court pulls up police for not filing ATR 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Court order on police‚Äôs plea against Ansals on July 29 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- AAP Govt upgrades Rural Development Board 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- 100 school buses, vans seized for violation of Govt norms 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Police get hoax call threatening to blow up PM house, Rajiv Chowk Metro Station 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- ISIS operative prosecuted under UAPA 20 Jul 2017 | Souvik Mitra
- NMC‚Äôs 90 wards declared ODF 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Man posing as cop threatens to kill activist Shabnam Hashmi, held 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- BJP MP demands reunification of municipal bodies 20 Jul 2017 | Sapna Singh
- BJP, RWAs boycott DERC‚Äôs hearing on tariff revision 20 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jul 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Aspirants for Sub Inspectors’ post in the State gathered in quite a number at Morabadi ground Wednesday to stage protest against the recruitment norms of State government. The aspirants conducted a ‘Maha Mundan’ where approximately 60 students shaved their heads...