Two Swaraj India candidates switch to BJP; Amrita Rashmi sacked
Fledgling Swaraj India suffered a jolt after two of its candidates contesting the upcoming MCD polls ditched the party to join the BJP. The party has sacked Amrita Rashmi, candidate from ward No 24S Bapriola under the South Delhi MCD, after BJP leaders were found to be campaigning for her.
“After it was brought to our notice, we immediately sacked Amrita Rashmi from the party,” Swaraj India spokesperson Anupam said. Its other candidate Twinkle Kalia is being supported by the BJP.
Known for driving an ambulance to ferry road accident victims to hospital free of cost, Kalia is contesting from Ward No 81N in Kishan Ganj under the North MCD.
“Kalia said, she wants be a joint candidate of the BJP and Swaraj India. This was unacceptable to us as we don’t want to be seen in alliance with the BJP,” Anupam added.
Interestingly, if the two candidates win, there is a legal lacuna that will help the two escape action under the anti-defection law.
“Although they are Swaraj India candidates, they technically remain independent as we have not been alloted a common symbol.
- BJP leaders call off hunger strike 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Sisodia, Jain discharged from hospital 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 2,200 admissions approved despite initial hiccup 20 Jun 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- L-G tells CM to ‚Äėurgently' meet babus to thrash out differences 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Police foil AAP MLAs' bid to emulate Kejri's sit-in 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Yogi attends workshop to analyse BJP‚Äôs defeat in UP by-elections 20 Jun 2018 | SP Singh
- Rape accused Daati Maharaj summoned for questioning 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 2 hedgehogs found in unclaimed bag at Sarai Rohilla Rly station 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- SDMC Mayor urges Rly Min to improve services on ring network 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rani Jhansi flyover works to be completed by August: Vardhan 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...