Tyre burst, boy got fits, claims teen driver’s kin
North district police is trying to piece together the sequence of events leading to the accident at the Kashmere Gate ISBT underpass which left one dead and three others injured in the wee hours of Thursday. Police said that they are taking into consideration the claims of Samarth Chugh that the front tyre of the car burst while he was driving after which he got a fit and could not control the vehicle, leading to the accident.
The defence counsel informed the Magistrate that the accused, Samarth, a student of Class XII of DPS Mathura Road suffers from fits. He has a medical history of seizures and is being treated for it. “The court accepted the submission and instructed the Tihar Jail administration to provide him medicines. Samarth has been sent to judicial custody,” a senior police officer said.
Talking about the incident, a close relative of the Chugh family said, “Samarth is a very sincere child. Moreover, he did not hit the persons intentionally. The accident occurred as the front tyre of the car burst. If he had done it intentionally, he would have tried to flee the spot, but he did not.”
The youngest of two children, Samarth lives with his parents in Model Town area of North Delhi. While his father is a businessman his mother is a housewife.
In the absence of any CCTV cameras at the underpass, police are waiting to record the statements of the injured persons . “Once they are fit to give the statement, we will proceed and take legal action accordingly,” police said. “One of them has been discharged from hospital but is not fit enough to give a statement right now,” he said.
Police are also relying on the documents of the i20 car to ascertain the role of the car owner, Ujjwal’s father, Raj Kumar. “We are probing whether Raj Kumar had given consent to Samarth, Ujjwal and Bhavya to take his i20 car and even if it is proved that he did not give consent, Raj Kumar will be booked under Section 180 of the Motor Vehicle Act”, the officer added.
- Monsoon may hit Kerala before May 30: MoES 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Violet Line service hit due to safety inspection of metro’s ITO-Kashmere Gate stretch 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Varsity receives 40K registrations on second day 24 May 2017 | SR
- DU’s Open Day session pulls huge crowd 24 May 2017 | Debashish Kumar
- Piyush Goyal asks scribes to go from party meeting; leaves Manoj Tiwari embarrassed 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Ensure availability of medicines in Govt hospitals: CM tells CS 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Cong wins Sarai Pipal, AAP bags Maujpur 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- RSS leader's murder: CPI(M) activist held 24 May 2017 | VR Jayaraj
- Extra marital affair: Woman held for killing husband 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Clash between AISA, ABVP at DU during counselling of aspirants 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...