Wind of change cleans city's air
Improved wind speed brought down level of pollutants in national Capital's air quality on Thursday with the Air Quality Index (AQI) shifting to ‘moderate' zone. The breeze cleared up the hazy sky bringing much need relief to people in the city.
Delhi's average AQI was recorded 194, marking a significant improvement from Wednesday's 282 on a scale of 500, classified as ‘poor'.
Dipankar Saha, Air Lab Chief of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), said, “Air quality is improving every hour and we hope it will continue to improve.”
“Now the wind is blowing very easily from north to south with a speed of 4.5 m/s, which has resulted in dispersion of pollutants, leading to improvement in the air quality after a long pause,” he had said.
The United Nations on December 5 marked the first International Smog Day. It is a moment to remember all of the people who have died prematurely, and avoidably, because of the air pollution, the United Nations Environment Programme had said in a statement.
Pollution is considered severe plus or emergency when readings of PM2.5 and PM10 cross 300 and 500 ug/m3, respectively. The corresponding prescribed standards are 60 and 100.
An AQI between 0-50 is considered good, 51-100 satisfactory, 101-200 moderate, 201-300 poor, 301-400 very poor, and 401-500 severe.
- Swimming pool owner arrested after two youths drown in Burari 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- BSES cooling scheme: Get 5-star ACs for old ones at 47% discount 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 16-year-old Ryan murder accused to be tried as adult 22 May 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Magenta Line opens on May 29 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Woman hit by truck while crossing road, dies; driver escapes 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- MCD reports absolve Max doctors of negligence: Police 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- National Zoological Park to organise summer training programme from May 22 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Man, who killed 16-yr-old girl fortnight ago, held 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Brazilian woman held for smuggling cocaine in capsules at IGI airport 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Software engineer dies mysteriously in DDA pool 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...