HEALTH & FITNESS
Enzyme to preserve nerve function identified
Researchers have identified an enzyme that plays a crucial role in the degeneration of axons, the threadlike portions of a nerve cell that transmit signals within the nervous system.
The discovery could open new pathways to treating or preventing many brain diseases since axon loss occurs in all neurodegenerative diseases.
The research team discovered a new role of the enzyme Axundead -- or Axed -- in promoting self-destruction of axons.
When Axed function was blocked, injured axons not only maintained their integrity but remained capable of transmitting signals within the brain's complex circuitry for weeks, according to the findings published in the journal Neuron.
"If you target this pathway, you have a really good chance of preserving the functional aspects of neurons after a variety of types of trauma or injury," said senior author Marc Freeman, Director of the Vollum Institute at Oregon Health & Science University in the US.
"It's a very attractive therapeutic target," said Freeman, who conducted the work during his stint at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
"If we can find ways to block it, maybe we can preserve function in a wide array of patients who have lost axons through neurodegenerative diseases or other neural trauma," Freeman said.
- Maternal high-fat diet may affect kids' mental health 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Your car may contain harmful pollutants: Study 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- CAG raps Railways for serving foodstuff 'unsuitable' for consumption 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Avoiding smoking, obesity, alcohol may up life expectancy 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Musician plays guitar during brain surgery in Bengaluru 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Nine lifestyle changes may cut dementia risk: study 20 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Saliva test offers easier, cheaper diagnoses of liver disease 20 Jul 2017 | IANS
- WHO calls for more tobacco control worldwide to save lives 20 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Antibody-based test may differentiate Zika from other infections 19 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Why some women are more likely to feel depressed 19 Jul 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
To review the outcome of the ten-day cooperative conference/workshop, the Minister of State for cooperative Dr Dhan Singh Rawat convened a meeting on Friday in course of which he also assessed the preparation of Prime Minister insurance scheme for college students, slated to start on August 1. During the meeting, the officials apprised that they had organised workshops at 608 places across the State in which 2...