HEALTH & FITNESS
Enzyme to preserve nerve function identified
Researchers have identified an enzyme that plays a crucial role in the degeneration of axons, the threadlike portions of a nerve cell that transmit signals within the nervous system.
The discovery could open new pathways to treating or preventing many brain diseases since axon loss occurs in all neurodegenerative diseases.
The research team discovered a new role of the enzyme Axundead -- or Axed -- in promoting self-destruction of axons.
When Axed function was blocked, injured axons not only maintained their integrity but remained capable of transmitting signals within the brain's complex circuitry for weeks, according to the findings published in the journal Neuron.
"If you target this pathway, you have a really good chance of preserving the functional aspects of neurons after a variety of types of trauma or injury," said senior author Marc Freeman, Director of the Vollum Institute at Oregon Health & Science University in the US.
"It's a very attractive therapeutic target," said Freeman, who conducted the work during his stint at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
"If we can find ways to block it, maybe we can preserve function in a wide array of patients who have lost axons through neurodegenerative diseases or other neural trauma," Freeman said.
- How cancer-causing virus clings to our DNA decoded 22 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Heart patients who walk faster hospitalised less 22 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Stronger people have sharper brains: Study 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Beer belly bad for your heart 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Running marathon boosts immunity: Study 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Lack of Vitamin D may up diabetes risk by 5 times 20 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Chip-based blood test could replace painful bone biopsy 20 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Switch to stevia for a sweet, healthy lifestyle 20 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Ministry calls for time-bound execution of clean air plan 19 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Gene therapy for blood disorder may be effective 19 Apr 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Apr 2018 | Nityanand Dubey | Garhwa
Altogether 275 cases were resolved in National Lok Adalat held under the aegis of District Legal Services Authority under the chairmanship of PDJ Mahesh Chandra Verma on Sunday at Civil Court Garhwa. Five benches were formed for the hearing of the cases...