HEALTH & FITNESS
Enzyme to preserve nerve function identified
Researchers have identified an enzyme that plays a crucial role in the degeneration of axons, the threadlike portions of a nerve cell that transmit signals within the nervous system.
The discovery could open new pathways to treating or preventing many brain diseases since axon loss occurs in all neurodegenerative diseases.
The research team discovered a new role of the enzyme Axundead -- or Axed -- in promoting self-destruction of axons.
When Axed function was blocked, injured axons not only maintained their integrity but remained capable of transmitting signals within the brain's complex circuitry for weeks, according to the findings published in the journal Neuron.
"If you target this pathway, you have a really good chance of preserving the functional aspects of neurons after a variety of types of trauma or injury," said senior author Marc Freeman, Director of the Vollum Institute at Oregon Health & Science University in the US.
"It's a very attractive therapeutic target," said Freeman, who conducted the work during his stint at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
"If we can find ways to block it, maybe we can preserve function in a wide array of patients who have lost axons through neurodegenerative diseases or other neural trauma," Freeman said.
- Eating disorders may cause long-term health issues 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Air pollution may lower your sperm quality 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- How breastmilk helps combat food allergies in newborns 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Psychoactive drug use may up death risk in Alzheimer's patients 21 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Overweight women advised to undergo mammography more often 21 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Sleeping on back can up stillbirth risk 21 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Blood test may prevent liver damage due to paracetamol overdose 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Playing video games may help rehabilitate stroke patients 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- 'India can become second largest market for robotic surgery' 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Brain activity buffers against worsening anxiety 19 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
CCL Doctor bags prize in ELMECON Dr. Ashutosh Pandey, HOD (Surgery), Gandhinagar Hospital, CCL has been awarded first prize for case presentation in ELMECON 2017, medical conference organised by ECL...