- Bollywood legend Sridevi passes away at the age of 54
- India beat South Africa by 7 runs to clinch series 2-1
- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
HEALTH & FITNESS
Enzyme to preserve nerve function identified
Researchers have identified an enzyme that plays a crucial role in the degeneration of axons, the threadlike portions of a nerve cell that transmit signals within the nervous system.
The discovery could open new pathways to treating or preventing many brain diseases since axon loss occurs in all neurodegenerative diseases.
The research team discovered a new role of the enzyme Axundead -- or Axed -- in promoting self-destruction of axons.
When Axed function was blocked, injured axons not only maintained their integrity but remained capable of transmitting signals within the brain's complex circuitry for weeks, according to the findings published in the journal Neuron.
"If you target this pathway, you have a really good chance of preserving the functional aspects of neurons after a variety of types of trauma or injury," said senior author Marc Freeman, Director of the Vollum Institute at Oregon Health & Science University in the US.
"It's a very attractive therapeutic target," said Freeman, who conducted the work during his stint at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
"If we can find ways to block it, maybe we can preserve function in a wide array of patients who have lost axons through neurodegenerative diseases or other neural trauma," Freeman said.
- Stem cells may help to stay strong in old age 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- 'Shortcomings in study claiming toxic metals in e-cigarette vapours' 24 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Sipping red wine may ward off your gum disease 24 Feb 2018 | IANS
- This AI tool may accelerate diagnosis of eye diseases, pneumonia 23 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Testing tears may help in early diagnosis of Parkinson's 23 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Depression may reduce arginine levels in your body 23 Feb 2018 | IANS
- This fertility hormone may help older women conceive 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Social media use may affect teenagers' real life relationships 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Congenital heart disease may up risk of early dementia 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Low-fat diet as effective as low-carb for losing weight 21 Feb 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
25 Feb 2018 | M Venkaiah Naidu
Today, we are conferring International Gandhi Award-2017 on two outstanding personalities, Dr MD Gupte and Dr Atul Shah, for their selfless and humanitarian services in the cause of elimination of leprosy and in alleviating the suffering of leprosy-affected patients. Leprosy has been prevalent in our country since a very long time...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Feb 2018 | PNS | Bokaro
Over 600 Government primary and middle schools do not have power supply across the Bokaro district at present. As per the government directive, all the government schools must have been electrified by the end of the financial year 2016-17, about 619 primary and middle schools yet to get electric supply across the district, reveals official data...