- Jharkhand High Court extends RJD president Lalu Prasad's provisional bail till July 3
- Missing county has been blessing in disguise: Kohli
- ISJK chief among four militants killed in Kashmir, cop and civilian also dead
- ED moves special court to declare Vijay Mallya fugitive offender
- New Zealand prime minister gives birth to healthy baby girl
HEALTH & FITNESS
Enzyme to preserve nerve function identified
Researchers have identified an enzyme that plays a crucial role in the degeneration of axons, the threadlike portions of a nerve cell that transmit signals within the nervous system.
The discovery could open new pathways to treating or preventing many brain diseases since axon loss occurs in all neurodegenerative diseases.
The research team discovered a new role of the enzyme Axundead -- or Axed -- in promoting self-destruction of axons.
When Axed function was blocked, injured axons not only maintained their integrity but remained capable of transmitting signals within the brain's complex circuitry for weeks, according to the findings published in the journal Neuron.
"If you target this pathway, you have a really good chance of preserving the functional aspects of neurons after a variety of types of trauma or injury," said senior author Marc Freeman, Director of the Vollum Institute at Oregon Health & Science University in the US.
"It's a very attractive therapeutic target," said Freeman, who conducted the work during his stint at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
"If we can find ways to block it, maybe we can preserve function in a wide array of patients who have lost axons through neurodegenerative diseases or other neural trauma," Freeman said.
- Robotic surgery as effective as open surgery for bladder cancer: Study 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Drug to stop cancer from spreading developed 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Mindful movement may lower stress, anxiety 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- 4 cups of coffee daily may boost heart functions in elderly 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Overweight in middle age linked to low breast cancer risk 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- New treatment facility for hazardous industrial waste in Delhi 21 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Packet tea consumption rising in India: Study 21 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Weight loss may reverse effects of heart rhythm disorder 21 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Common white pigment linked to diabetes: study 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Yoga's full potential should be harnessed to reduce NCD-related deaths: WHO 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Observing the Yoga Day, the school students of Sharda Vihar School performed Yoga postures on Thursday. Observing International Yoga Day 750 students of the school got information about Yoga and students were informed about the benefits of Yoga were...