HEALTH & FITNESS
Enzyme to preserve nerve function identified
Researchers have identified an enzyme that plays a crucial role in the degeneration of axons, the threadlike portions of a nerve cell that transmit signals within the nervous system.
The discovery could open new pathways to treating or preventing many brain diseases since axon loss occurs in all neurodegenerative diseases.
The research team discovered a new role of the enzyme Axundead -- or Axed -- in promoting self-destruction of axons.
When Axed function was blocked, injured axons not only maintained their integrity but remained capable of transmitting signals within the brain's complex circuitry for weeks, according to the findings published in the journal Neuron.
"If you target this pathway, you have a really good chance of preserving the functional aspects of neurons after a variety of types of trauma or injury," said senior author Marc Freeman, Director of the Vollum Institute at Oregon Health & Science University in the US.
"It's a very attractive therapeutic target," said Freeman, who conducted the work during his stint at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
"If we can find ways to block it, maybe we can preserve function in a wide array of patients who have lost axons through neurodegenerative diseases or other neural trauma," Freeman said.
- WHO control room in Cox's Bazar for health response to Rohingyas 22 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Cigarette butts to eliminate mosquitoes? 22 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Heavy drinking in college lowers job prospects later: Study 22 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Abnormal magnesium levels linked to dementia: Study 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Eating nuts can stave off obesity risk 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Cranberries may help cut urinary tract infections 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Diabetes may increase fracture risk in elderly 20 Sep 2017 | IANS
- World running out of antibiotics, WHO warns 20 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Smokers with HIV more at risk of lung cancer than AIDS 20 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Taking a break from dieting could be key to weight loss 19 Sep 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Sep 2017 | RR Srivastava | Hazaribagh
DC Ravishankar Shukla, SP Anoop Birthare and other officials of district and police administration sat with the representatives of different political parties, organisations, members of peace committee and office-bearers of different puja committees in the town hall of Hazaribagh to discuss on the issues related with forthcoming festive season here on Thursday. Shukla said that this year both Dushhera and Moharram festivals are going to be organised together and it should...