HEALTH & FITNESS
HIV/AIDS escalates amongst Sri Lankan youth
The Sri Lankan health ministry on Thursday warned that the number of HIV/AIDS cases was escalating among the youth in the island nation.
Quoting the ministry, sources said health authorities had identified some 160 people diagnosed with HIV-AIDS this year alone, Xinhua news agency reported.
National STD Eradication Unit Director Sisira Liyanage asserted that the majority of these victims were between the age group of 25 and 45.
The ministry said the spread of the disease was also due to the use of drugs, homosexuality and immigration.
Over 228 people diagnosed with HIV AIDS were identified in 2014, Liyanage added.
According to UNAIDS data, as of 2014, the total number of Sri Lankans living with HIV/AIDS was 3,300 and deaths were accounted at 200.
- HC notice on plea regarding cruelty on dairy cattle 17 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Eating high-salt diet may lead to dementia 17 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Curbing junk food ads may cut rising obesity in teens 17 Jan 2018 | IANS
- High fat western diet could make prostate cancer aggressive 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Benefits of sesame seeds for skin, health 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Humans share fish genes that aid in repairing spinal cord 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Sexual crimes in neighbourhood may harm women's mental health 15 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Bullied kids at high risk of anxiety, suicidal behaviour 15 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Genes that may lead to obesity identified 15 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Fast food may make immune system more aggressive: study 14 Jan 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jan 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) and Paras Healthcare today announced to run a 300 bedded super speciality hospital providing tertiary care services in the Capital City. A PPP project for the same was signed by CMD, HEC, Avijit Ghosh and MD, Paras Healthcare, Dr Dharminder Nagar on Tuesday...