HEALTH & FITNESS
Regular exercises can improve brain functioning: Study
Are you having difficulty in memorising phone numbers or other valuable data for long term use? You need to start exercising to improve your memory functioning.
Indulging in aerobic exercises can help you increase the brain size that further enhances the memory function and maintains a good brain health, says a new research.
The brain health decreases with age, with the average brain shrinking by approximately five per cent after the age of 40, as mentioned in the study, published in the journal Neuroimage.
Aerobic exercises can help a particular region of the brain called the hippocampus, which is critical for memory and other brain functions. It may also prevent ageing-related neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's and dementia, the researcher noted.
"When you exercise, you produce a chemical called brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which may help to prevent age-related decline by reducing the deterioration of the brain," said Joseph Firth, researcher at the Western Sydney University in Australia.
The researchers reviewed 14 clinical trials, which examined the brain scans of 737 people before and after aerobic exercise programs.
The participants, aged between 24 to 76 years, included a mix of healthy adults, people with mild cognitive impairment such as Alzheimer's and people with a clinical diagnosis of mental illness including depression and schizophrenia.
The researchers examined effects of aerobic exercise, including stationary cycling, walking, and treadmill running. The length of the interventions ranged from three to 24 months with a range of 2-5 sessions per week.
The results showed that while exercise had no effect on total hippocampal volume, it did significantly increase the size of the left region of the hippocampus in humans.
- Skipping breakfast can actually make you fat 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Eating dark chocolate cuts stress, boosts memory: Study 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Can mangoes make you fat? 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Prolonged paracetamol use in pregnancy may up autism, ADHD risk 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Asthma, hay fever may up mental disorder risk 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Mechanism behind spread of deadly fungal infection found 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Drinking water may boost mental skills in exercising elderly 23 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Medication use increases in newly-diagnosed dementia patients 23 Apr 2018 | IANS
- How cancer-causing virus clings to our DNA decoded 22 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Heart patients who walk faster hospitalised less 22 Apr 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...