- Swaraj condoles death of ex-Nepal PM Prachanda's son
- 'Padmavati' makers postpone film's release amid controversy
- Modi govt likely to get corruption tag as UPA II: Chidambaram
- Kovind, Modi pays tribute to Indira Gandhi on birth centenary
- Committed to improve sanitation facilities: Modi
- Leh freezes, Gulmarg coldest in Kashmir Valley
HEALTH & FITNESS
Regular exercises can improve brain functioning: Study
Are you having difficulty in memorising phone numbers or other valuable data for long term use? You need to start exercising to improve your memory functioning.
Indulging in aerobic exercises can help you increase the brain size that further enhances the memory function and maintains a good brain health, says a new research.
The brain health decreases with age, with the average brain shrinking by approximately five per cent after the age of 40, as mentioned in the study, published in the journal Neuroimage.
Aerobic exercises can help a particular region of the brain called the hippocampus, which is critical for memory and other brain functions. It may also prevent ageing-related neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's and dementia, the researcher noted.
"When you exercise, you produce a chemical called brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which may help to prevent age-related decline by reducing the deterioration of the brain," said Joseph Firth, researcher at the Western Sydney University in Australia.
The researchers reviewed 14 clinical trials, which examined the brain scans of 737 people before and after aerobic exercise programs.
The participants, aged between 24 to 76 years, included a mix of healthy adults, people with mild cognitive impairment such as Alzheimer's and people with a clinical diagnosis of mental illness including depression and schizophrenia.
The researchers examined effects of aerobic exercise, including stationary cycling, walking, and treadmill running. The length of the interventions ranged from three to 24 months with a range of 2-5 sessions per week.
The results showed that while exercise had no effect on total hippocampal volume, it did significantly increase the size of the left region of the hippocampus in humans.
- 'India can become second largest market for robotic surgery' 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Brain activity buffers against worsening anxiety 19 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Parents' lifestyle can affect your health even in adulthood 19 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Gut bacteria linked to multiple sclerosis 19 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Tree-lined neighbourhood may help in reducing asthma risk 18 Nov 2017 | IANS
- New findings may improve chemotherapy in cancer treatment 18 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Stressed? You could be making risky decisions 17 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Heavy drinking and smoking can make you look older 17 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Bisexual women are more prone to sexual assault 17 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Father's depression may affect mental health in teens 16 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Nov 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath said the BJP government has restored the rule of law in the state and not a single communal riot has occurred in the state during the last eight months tenure of the BJP government. Chief Minister on Sunday kicked off the election campaign of the BJP for the urban local body elections in Brij region and addressed poll meetings in Mathura, Aligarh and...