- P V Sindhu enters semifinals of All England Championship.
- Centre tells SC it will not damage Ram Sethu for shipping channel project
- Andhra CM targets PMO, alleges conspiracy
- 'TDP's exit signals opportunity for BJP to grow in Andhra'
- Bhagwant Mann resigns as AAP Punjab chief
- TDP quits NDA; to move no-confidence motion
FBI searches home of missing 3-year-old Indian girl in US
The FBI has searched the home of a 3-year-old Indian girl who is missing since Saturday when her foster father reportedly sent her outside around 3 am as punishment for not drinking her milk, US media reports said.
Sherin Mathews, who has developmental issues and limited verbal communication skills, was last seen outside her family's backyard in Richardson, Dallas.
Richardson police along with an FBI evidence recovery team entered the house of Wesley Mathews last night to execute a search warrant, police Sergeant Kevin Perlich said.
The search was part of the "natural progression" of the investigation, he was quoted as saying by the Dallas Morning News.
Police went door-to-door in the neighbourhood and used search dogs and helicopters to look for Sherin.
Investigators will process what they have collected, including security footage, electronics and items in the family's three vehicles that were towed from the home, Perlich said.
Sherin's father, Mathews, 37, was arrested on Saturday on a charge of abandoning or endangering a child. He was released from custody on Sunday after posting USD 250,000 bond.
He is required to wear an electronic monitoring device and surrender his passport as part of the conditions of his bond, the paper said.
Meanwhile, officials with Texas Child Protective Services removed the toddler's 4-year-old sister from the family on Monday and placed her in protective custody as police continue to search for the missing child.
The CPS would only say they have had "contact" with the Mathews family before, but "details are confidential," NBC Dallas reported.
Mathews, said to be from Kerala, told police that he put Sherin outside and told her to stand next to a large tree about 3 am on Saturday, an arrest-warrant affidavit said.
The tree was behind a fence, about 100 feet south of the family's home and across an alley.
Mathews admitted to police that he knew coyotes had been seen in the alley, the affidavit said.
Mathews told the police that he checked on Sherin about 3:15 am and she was gone, the affidavit said.
After looking around for her, he said he then went inside to do laundry and decided to wait until morning to continue searching or for her to return on her own, Perlich said.
Police were not alerted to her disappearance until about five hours later.
"Why was the last sighting at 3 o'clock and the parents not call us until after 8 am, that's the question we want answered as well," Perlich told KXAS-TV NBC5.
"As far as why she was out there, how long she was out there, that's the questions we have for the parents."
The girl's mother does not face any charges. She was in the house at the time, but was reportedly asleep and unaware of what Wesley Mathews was doing, Perlich said.
Sherin's parents are no longer speaking with police and have since retained legal counsel, he said.
"I don't know what happened," said Philip Mathew, Sherin Mathews's great-uncle.
The Mathewses reportedly adopted the girl two years ago from an Indian orphanage. She was malnourished and physically underdeveloped and does not have the same language skills a typical 3-year-old would in the US, Perlich said.
He told NBC5 it was not unusual for her to be awake late at night to eat to increase her weight.
- India biggest strategic opportunity for US: Pentagon 16 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Indian-origin former McKinsey partner in US gets 2-year jail in fraud case 16 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Can't expect India to go cold turkey on Russian arms: Pentagon 16 Mar 2018 | PTI
- India committed to strengthening ties with Nepal: Prez Kovind 15 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Choose France, Macron tells India's youths and entrepreneurs 15 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Gender equality of rural women a key driver of inclusive growth: India 15 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Pakistan apprehended 1,373 fishermen during 2015-18: Govt 14 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Fate of India-US two-plus-two dialogue hangs in balance 14 Mar 2018 | PTI
- UK to raise concern over British Sikh held in Indian jail at ‚Äúsenior levels‚ÄĚ 14 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Indian envoy meets top CPC official ahead of Sitharaman's visit 13 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
11 Mar 2018 | PTI | Beijing
An elderly woman in China on Saturday vandalised the stall of a fortune teller who wrongly predicted her death, according to a media report. The fortune-teller told the 70-year-old womanin Mianyang in southwestern Sichuan province in March last year that she would not live to see 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the State Assembly Ajay Singh and Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Arun Yadav on Friday called on Chief Election Commissioner OP Rawat and urged him to get investigated the matter related to large scale irregularities in the electoral rolls in Madhya Pradesh. The two requested the CEC to get the matter investigated before the assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh, scheduled in November, 2018...