French knighthood for Indian-origin art enthusiast in S Africa
An Indian-origin art lover and playwright in South Africa has been knighted by the French government for his lifelong devotion to the promotion of arts.
Ismail Mahomed was bestowed with 'The Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et Lettres' (Knight of the Order of Arts and Literature) by French Ambassador Elisabet Barbier.
Expressing his delight at the recognition, Mahomed said he had "an immense love for Paris."
"I am always overcome with emotion when I stop at the Dulcie September Boulevard. Paris was a home to many of our exiles," Mahomed said.
"I remain grateful to France because it still is a home to many South African artists - Robyn Orlin, Steven Cohen, Vincent Mantsoe and many more. France celebrates the South African artists who live there and it memorialises those who died there," he said.
Established in 1957, the knighthood is bestowed on people for their significant contributions to French culture through arts and literature.
Other South Africans who have received this distinction include artists Gerard Sekoto and William Kentridge, musician Johnny Clegg, and filmmaker Ramadan Suleman.
Mahomed has a long standing relationship with France and has brokered several collaborations between South African and French artists.
Acknowledging his work, Barbier made special mention of his leadership during the bilateral French-South African Seasons in 2014 and 2015.
Currently the Artistic Director of the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown, Mahomed has received numerous other awards in his 30-year career, including a Merit Honour Award from the US State Department's Africa Bureau for consistent high cultural programming.
In 1999, he received the Premier's Award for developing and promoting the arts and culture sector as an economic enterprise in the South African province of Mpumalanga.
- Indian-origin mom wants action over daughter's suicide in UK 18 Aug 2017 | PTI
- US, Japan to advance security, defence cooperation with India, S Korea and Australia 18 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Indian-American physician announces Congressional bid 18 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Indian politician falls off moving car in UAE, dies 17 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Lesbian Hindu, Jewish women wed in Britain 17 Aug 2017 | IANS
- US experts welcome two-by-two ministerial dialogue 17 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Indian man serious after assault in New Zealand 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Trump lauds contributions of Indian-Americans on I-Day 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Indian-American sentenced to 40 months in prison for fraud 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka marks Independence Day 15 Aug 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
The Geological Survey of India will carry out assessment of Limestone deposits In Laladhurwa-Jognipali Block of Raigarh district in Chhattisgarh. GSI last year took up assessment of limestone deposits at Birutola-Nawapara-Sohagpur Blocks of Kabirdham district in Chhattisgarh, officials stated...