French knighthood for Indian-origin art enthusiast in S Africa
An Indian-origin art lover and playwright in South Africa has been knighted by the French government for his lifelong devotion to the promotion of arts.
Ismail Mahomed was bestowed with 'The Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et Lettres' (Knight of the Order of Arts and Literature) by French Ambassador Elisabet Barbier.
Expressing his delight at the recognition, Mahomed said he had "an immense love for Paris."
"I am always overcome with emotion when I stop at the Dulcie September Boulevard. Paris was a home to many of our exiles," Mahomed said.
"I remain grateful to France because it still is a home to many South African artists - Robyn Orlin, Steven Cohen, Vincent Mantsoe and many more. France celebrates the South African artists who live there and it memorialises those who died there," he said.
Established in 1957, the knighthood is bestowed on people for their significant contributions to French culture through arts and literature.
Other South Africans who have received this distinction include artists Gerard Sekoto and William Kentridge, musician Johnny Clegg, and filmmaker Ramadan Suleman.
Mahomed has a long standing relationship with France and has brokered several collaborations between South African and French artists.
Acknowledging his work, Barbier made special mention of his leadership during the bilateral French-South African Seasons in 2014 and 2015.
Currently the Artistic Director of the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown, Mahomed has received numerous other awards in his 30-year career, including a Merit Honour Award from the US State Department's Africa Bureau for consistent high cultural programming.
In 1999, he received the Premier's Award for developing and promoting the arts and culture sector as an economic enterprise in the South African province of Mpumalanga.
- India steel demand will take longer to peak: Worldsteel 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- South Indian cuisine not just dosas and idlis: Chef Hari Nayak 17 Dec 2017 | IANS
- British envoy draws attention to plastic pollution in oceans 16 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Jhanwu urges 5 eastern states to woo small Chinese companies 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Britain's Swindon, hub of expat Goans 'highly polluted', says Parrikar 15 Dec 2017 | IANS
- 43 Indian fishermen arrested by Pak authorities: Official 15 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Indian-American emerges as key figure in Trump's deregulation efforts 15 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Nepal's Left alliance will maintain good ties with India, China: leader 14 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Indian-American doctor arrested for healthcare fraud 14 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Indian pleads guilty to launching cyberattack on US varsity 14 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...