India-Nepal joint military exercise ends in Pithoragarh
The 14-day-long India-Nepal joint military exercise in Uttarakhand's Pithoragarh focusing on counter-terrorism and disaster relief operations ended today.
Lectures, demonstrations and drills related to counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations, and disaster management were conducted as part of the SURYA KIRAN-XIII exercise to enhance the skills of troops, a defence press release said here.
The training ended with a 72-hour outdoor exercise in which troops of both contingents carried out a cordon and search operation in a mock counter-insurgency drill in a village.
During the final-phase of the exercise, Chief of Staff, Headquarters Uttar Bharat area, Major General Neeraj Verma, Brigadier Ajay Kumar Vig and Brigadier Ranjan Mallik were present as observer representatives of the Indian Army, the release said.
Major General Rajendra Karki, Divisional Commander, Mid Western Division, along with two brigadier-rank officers were present from the Nepal Army, it said.
Besides training, both the contingents also participated in a number of extra-curricular activities including football, basketball and volleyball matches, and a cultural event on the final day to increase the bonhomie between troops.
The joint training helped in cementing ties between the two neighbours, besides promoting understanding and inter-operability between the two armies, the release said.
- Indian expatriate receives compensation from UAE firm following accident 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- UN Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations to visit India 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- FICCI launches initiatives to promote India-UK trade and investment 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- UAE FM to visit India next week; will hold talks with Swaraj 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Swaraj meets EU High Representative, discusses range of isssues 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Indian-origin woman in Singapore faces jail term in biggest US Navy bribe case 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Abu Dhabi firm compensates Indian amputee 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Nearly 100 Indians held at 2 detention centres in US 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Sushma, Sitharaman to visit Washington for strategic 2+2 Dialogue 21 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Lord Bilimoria among top 100 influencers in the UK-India relations 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...