- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Indian-American pulls out of Wharton India Economic Forum
A noted Indian-American physician has withdrawn from the annual Wharton India Economic Forum in the wake the organiser's decision to cancel a key-note address by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
New Jersey-based eminent physician, philanthropist and publisher, Sudhir Parikh, was invited to address the WIEF conference on March 23 in place of The Wall Street columnist Sadanand Dhume, who withdrew from the conference in protest of the forum's handling the Modi affair.
"As an immigrant of over 30 years standing and dedicated to promoting the cause of India and Indian Americans, I look forward to sharing my thoughts about NRIs as ambassadors of India," Dr Parikh told WIFE.
"However, the manner in which the committee has been pressurised to rescind its invitation to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on entirely suspicious grounds, I feel the intellectual integrity of the forum has been compromised," Dr Parikh said in his letter, a copy of which was made available to the PTI.
Parikh, who is publisher of several India American publications in the US, said as a publisher he is constrained to err on the side of the free flow of ideas and unfettered discussion public policy issue be it in academics or journalism.
"It is for this reason; I have no choice but to withdraw my name from the panel of speakers of this year's forum," said Parikh, who in 2012 was conferred with the Padma Shri award by the then President Pratibha Patil.
MORE India Abroad NEWS
- US can't afford Clinton's bad judgements more:Indian-Americans 24 Oct 2016 | PTI
- It's vote against Trump, not for Hillary: Indians in Cleveland 24 Oct 2016 | PTI
- 'Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera deserves third term' 23 Oct 2016 | IANS
- Punjab's retired staff settled abroad to get DA in pension 22 Oct 2016 | IANS
- Relationship with India is strong and diverse: US 22 Oct 2016 | PTI
- Swamy in favour of banning Pakistani artists 22 Oct 2016 | PTI
- Sikhs raise USD 135,000 for awareness campaign in Yuba City 21 Oct 2016 | PTI
- Indian-origin scientist creates 'real' 3D hands in lab 21 Oct 2016 | IANS
- 'India, China discord among issues that could capsize BRICS' 21 Oct 2016 | PTI
- India calls for global action against chemical weapons 20 Oct 2016 | PTI
23 Oct 2016 | Rajesh Singh
Despite wide-ranging backing and compelling arguments, expansion of the United Nations Security Council remains in limbo. Part of the reason is the complex mechanism in place to bring about the change, explains RAJESH SINGH ...
24 Oct 2016 | VN Bhatt | Lucknow
In a major decision amid the ongoing family feud, UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday sacked his uncle Shivpal Yadav from the State cabinet. Three other pro-Shivpal ministers — Narad Rai, Om Prakash Singh, and minister of state (independent charge ) Shadab Fatima - were also dismissed ...
Let Netaji (Mulayam Singh Yadav) install a Chief Minister who he feels is honest. Why should I form a new party? Who is forming a new party?
I wish Padmavati had come came to me five-six years ago; I would have done it. I am happy it has come to me today.
Donald Trump may not be politically correct but he understands what radical Islam is doing to this world.