- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Indian-American pulls out of Wharton India Economic Forum
A noted Indian-American physician has withdrawn from the annual Wharton India Economic Forum in the wake the organiser's decision to cancel a key-note address by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
New Jersey-based eminent physician, philanthropist and publisher, Sudhir Parikh, was invited to address the WIEF conference on March 23 in place of The Wall Street columnist Sadanand Dhume, who withdrew from the conference in protest of the forum's handling the Modi affair.
"As an immigrant of over 30 years standing and dedicated to promoting the cause of India and Indian Americans, I look forward to sharing my thoughts about NRIs as ambassadors of India," Dr Parikh told WIFE.
"However, the manner in which the committee has been pressurised to rescind its invitation to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on entirely suspicious grounds, I feel the intellectual integrity of the forum has been compromised," Dr Parikh said in his letter, a copy of which was made available to the PTI.
Parikh, who is publisher of several India American publications in the US, said as a publisher he is constrained to err on the side of the free flow of ideas and unfettered discussion public policy issue be it in academics or journalism.
"It is for this reason; I have no choice but to withdraw my name from the panel of speakers of this year's forum," said Parikh, who in 2012 was conferred with the Padma Shri award by the then President Pratibha Patil.
MORE India Abroad NEWS
- Sadhguru to lead yoga session at UN on 2nd Int'l Yoga Day 28 May 2016 | PTI
- Indian author wins Asian Book Award 28 May 2016 | PTI
- Two Indian-origin students win US spelling bee contest 28 May 2016 | IANS
- 2 young Indian-Americans win US Spelling Bee in historic tie 27 May 2016 | PTI
- "Sarbjit" gets no distributor in Pakistan 27 May 2016 | PTI
- Gandhian's descendant appointed Registrar of Banks in S Africa 27 May 2016 | PTI
- "Joint address will give Cong an opportunity to welcome Modi" 26 May 2016 | PTI
- Obama administration praises Indian Muslims 26 May 2016 | PTI
- Indian football coach jailed for sexually abusing boy in UAE 26 May 2016 | PTI
- Two Indian-origin sisters killed in car crash in Australia 25 May 2016 | PTI
29 May 2016 | PNS | HUBANESWAR
Upset over the alleged fraud by the Hi-Tech Group, a large number of investors on Saturday gheraoed Tirupati Choudhury, executive director of the company, demanding either flats or their money. The company has taken around Rs37 crore from 311 prospective flat buyers...
We will present our case for Jat reservation before the court and make all possible efforts to get the stay on the quota vacated.
We carried out a strike against a Taliban leader. We will continue to do whatever needed to protect our forces.
I'd love to debate Bernie (Sanders) on television. It would get very high ratings. It would be in a big arena.