Indian-American pulls out of Wharton India Economic Forum
A noted Indian-American physician has withdrawn from the annual Wharton India Economic Forum in the wake the organiser's decision to cancel a key-note address by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
New Jersey-based eminent physician, philanthropist and publisher, Sudhir Parikh, was invited to address the WIEF conference on March 23 in place of The Wall Street columnist Sadanand Dhume, who withdrew from the conference in protest of the forum's handling the Modi affair.
"As an immigrant of over 30 years standing and dedicated to promoting the cause of India and Indian Americans, I look forward to sharing my thoughts about NRIs as ambassadors of India," Dr Parikh told WIFE.
"However, the manner in which the committee has been pressurised to rescind its invitation to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on entirely suspicious grounds, I feel the intellectual integrity of the forum has been compromised," Dr Parikh said in his letter, a copy of which was made available to the PTI.
Parikh, who is publisher of several India American publications in the US, said as a publisher he is constrained to err on the side of the free flow of ideas and unfettered discussion public policy issue be it in academics or journalism.
"It is for this reason; I have no choice but to withdraw my name from the panel of speakers of this year's forum," said Parikh, who in 2012 was conferred with the Padma Shri award by the then President Pratibha Patil.
- German camera brand Leica enters India 23 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Israeli Prime Minister to begin 4-day India trip on Jan 14 23 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Indian jailed for robbing compatriot jeweller in Singapore 23 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Indian-origin man arrested after infant's death in US 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Great to be an Indian in the US right now: YouTube star Vidya Vox 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- GES 2017, a testament to 'strong' India-US friendship: Ivanka 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Sikh 'torture' in Punjab raised in UK Parliament 21 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Indian-descent dad shot protecting son from robbers in NY 21 Nov 2017 | IANS
- India calls for ending terror safe havens beyond Afghanistan 21 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Indian-origin female officer jailed for maid abuse in Singapore 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday filed a charge-sheet against 592 accused persons, including promoters of three private medical colleges from Bhopal - JN Choksey, chairman of LN Medical College, SN Vijaywargiya of People's Medical College and Ajay Goenka of Chirayu Medical College - and one from Indore - Suresh Singh Bhadoriya of Index Medical College, in the MPPEB scam. In the charge-sheet, four MPPEB officials, three persons...