Indian-American pulls out of Wharton India Economic Forum
A noted Indian-American physician has withdrawn from the annual Wharton India Economic Forum in the wake the organiser's decision to cancel a key-note address by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
New Jersey-based eminent physician, philanthropist and publisher, Sudhir Parikh, was invited to address the WIEF conference on March 23 in place of The Wall Street columnist Sadanand Dhume, who withdrew from the conference in protest of the forum's handling the Modi affair.
"As an immigrant of over 30 years standing and dedicated to promoting the cause of India and Indian Americans, I look forward to sharing my thoughts about NRIs as ambassadors of India," Dr Parikh told WIFE.
"However, the manner in which the committee has been pressurised to rescind its invitation to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on entirely suspicious grounds, I feel the intellectual integrity of the forum has been compromised," Dr Parikh said in his letter, a copy of which was made available to the PTI.
Parikh, who is publisher of several India American publications in the US, said as a publisher he is constrained to err on the side of the free flow of ideas and unfettered discussion public policy issue be it in academics or journalism.
"It is for this reason; I have no choice but to withdraw my name from the panel of speakers of this year's forum," said Parikh, who in 2012 was conferred with the Padma Shri award by the then President Pratibha Patil.
- Sakshi Verma glad to find place in Hollywood 27 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Indian scientist at MIT creates wearable sensor to stop rape 27 Jul 2017 | PTI
- New Delhi man sentenced to 30 months for illegally selling gun silencers in US 27 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Sharif accuses India of 'undermining' spirit of SAARC 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- PM Modi unlikely to attend UNGA session in September 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Eliminate terror safe havens in Pak: Muhajir Congress urges US 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian Army DG meets Nepal Army chief 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian Muslim woman raped,murdered in suspected honour killing 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- US resumes fast processing of some H-1B visa categories 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- S African Indian students denied access to Bursary fund 24 Jul 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Jul 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
The State health department has initiated a process to open a small medical unit at the office of State health directorate for the employees posted there. The State health directorate is located at Danda Lakhaund on Sahastradhara road...