Indian-American pulls out of Wharton India Economic Forum
A noted Indian-American physician has withdrawn from the annual Wharton India Economic Forum in the wake the organiser's decision to cancel a key-note address by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
New Jersey-based eminent physician, philanthropist and publisher, Sudhir Parikh, was invited to address the WIEF conference on March 23 in place of The Wall Street columnist Sadanand Dhume, who withdrew from the conference in protest of the forum's handling the Modi affair.
"As an immigrant of over 30 years standing and dedicated to promoting the cause of India and Indian Americans, I look forward to sharing my thoughts about NRIs as ambassadors of India," Dr Parikh told WIFE.
"However, the manner in which the committee has been pressurised to rescind its invitation to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on entirely suspicious grounds, I feel the intellectual integrity of the forum has been compromised," Dr Parikh said in his letter, a copy of which was made available to the PTI.
Parikh, who is publisher of several India American publications in the US, said as a publisher he is constrained to err on the side of the free flow of ideas and unfettered discussion public policy issue be it in academics or journalism.
"It is for this reason; I have no choice but to withdraw my name from the panel of speakers of this year's forum," said Parikh, who in 2012 was conferred with the Padma Shri award by the then President Pratibha Patil.
- Two Indian-Americans indicted on H-1B visa fraud 29 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Man attacks woman in US gurdwara, held 29 Mar 2017 | IANS
- Indian Army chief Rawat arrives in Nepal 28 Mar 2017 | PTI/SR
- Two Indian-Americans sentenced for credit card fraud in US 28 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Indian Americans hold peaceful protest against CNN in Chicago 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- 'US varsities register drop in Indian student applications' 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Rebellion led Indian-American teen to $250,000 science prize 26 Mar 2017 | IANS
- Modi among Time magazine probables for most influential people 26 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Marketing is all about storytelling: Indo-British author Vish Dhamija 25 Mar 2017 | IANS
- India's new envoy to Nepal arrives in Kathmandu 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
26 Mar 2017 | Kushan Mitra
The advent of online streaming services that can stream content directly to your television screen is making the argument for cutting the cable connection more and more convincing, believes Kushan Mitra Is it time to cut the cable? In the past year and a half, online television streaming services Hotstar Premium, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have launched their services in India. There is also Voot from Viacom18 and Sony LIV...
STATE EDITIONSView All
29 Mar 2017 | PNS | BRAHMAPUR
In a deeply shocking case, a minor girl has alleged that she was gangraped by her four cousins as her father supported the Congress party during the recent panchayat elections in Patrapur block in Ganjam district. The victim along with her father and brother met district Superintendent of Police Asis Singh on Tuesday and lodged a complaint...