- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Indian-American pulls out of Wharton India Economic Forum
A noted Indian-American physician has withdrawn from the annual Wharton India Economic Forum in the wake the organiser's decision to cancel a key-note address by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
New Jersey-based eminent physician, philanthropist and publisher, Sudhir Parikh, was invited to address the WIEF conference on March 23 in place of The Wall Street columnist Sadanand Dhume, who withdrew from the conference in protest of the forum's handling the Modi affair.
"As an immigrant of over 30 years standing and dedicated to promoting the cause of India and Indian Americans, I look forward to sharing my thoughts about NRIs as ambassadors of India," Dr Parikh told WIFE.
"However, the manner in which the committee has been pressurised to rescind its invitation to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on entirely suspicious grounds, I feel the intellectual integrity of the forum has been compromised," Dr Parikh said in his letter, a copy of which was made available to the PTI.
Parikh, who is publisher of several India American publications in the US, said as a publisher he is constrained to err on the side of the free flow of ideas and unfettered discussion public policy issue be it in academics or journalism.
"It is for this reason; I have no choice but to withdraw my name from the panel of speakers of this year's forum," said Parikh, who in 2012 was conferred with the Padma Shri award by the then President Pratibha Patil.
MORE India Abroad NEWS
- Padma Lakshmi, Adam Dell rekindle romance? 22 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Kashmiris in UK set up group to find solution to Kashmir issue 22 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Indian Americans celebrate as Trump becomes President 21 Jan 2017 | IANS
- Indian teacher pleads guilty to fraud charges in US 21 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Indian-origin broadcaster becomes Chancellor of UK university 21 Jan 2017 | PTI
- 'Trump Administration could offer bilateral deal to India' 20 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Indian-origin man arrested in multi-million-dollar fraud in US 20 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Indian-American jailed for $1 mn insider trading scheme 19 Jan 2017 | IANS
- 'America First strategy has potential to damage Indo-US ties' 19 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Strengthening ties with India was Obama's priority: US 18 Jan 2017 | PTI
22 Jan 2017 | Amina Yaqin
In a country where women have been the subject of legislation to prove the state’s Islamic credentials, where tradition jostles with modernity, and the discourse of power prevails over social injustice, romantic melodrama has time and again proven to be a bestseller. It captures the imagination of the nation with its dreams of heroism, aspirational struggles, the fight between good and evil, the dashing hero and the damsel in distress 2011...
23 Jan 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
After days of negotiation and playing hard ball, the Samajwadi Party and Congress forged an alliance for the UP assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh. A formal announcement of the alliance was made here on Sunday...
I don't think I can return home without risks. There will not be a time for that. I'll have to take the risk.
It's paradoxical to see those aiding extinction of native breeds talk about cruelty to animals in the bull-taming sport.
I have taken him (Ambika Chaudhary) in BSP. He will be given full respect, much more than he was getting in the Samajwadi Party.