Indian-origin archdeacon appointed Bishop of Bradwell in UK
An Indian-origin archdeacon in the UK has been appointed as area Bishop of Bradwell in the Church of England's Diocese of Chelmsford.
John Perumbalath, a former priest in the united Church of North India's Diocese of Calcutta, was nominated by the Queen as the sixth Bishop of Bradwell, the British Home ministry said.
He succeeds late Bishop John Wraw, who passed away in July, 2017 after serving as Bishop since 2012.
Perumbalath, 52, has been archdeacon of Barking in the Diocese of Chelmsford since 2013.
Perumbalath hails from the ancient Syrian Christian community in Kerala and trained for ministry at Union Biblical Seminary in Pune.
Before his ordination, he worked as a youth worker among university students for two years and as a theological educator for three years.
He was a parish priest in the diocese of Calcutta (Church of North India) from 1995 to 2001. He served on the General Synod of CNI and on its Theological Commission.
Perumbalath said, "I am humbled and honoured to have been invited to be the next Bishop of Bradwell."
"It has been a great joy to share in the life of Barking Episcopal Area in the last five years and I look forward to the new opportunities and challenges that serving the Church in the Bradwell Episcopal Area will bring.
“I am passionate about the Christian faith that can transform individuals, communities and institutions, and about communicating that faith through pastoral care, teaching and community engagement," he said.
- Indian-origin woman in Singapore faces jail term in biggest US Navy bribe case 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Abu Dhabi firm compensates Indian amputee 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Nearly 100 Indians held at 2 detention centres in US 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Sushma, Sitharaman to visit Washington for strategic 2+2 Dialogue 21 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Lord Bilimoria among top 100 influencers in the UK-India relations 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India, Tajikistan agree to enhance cooperation for sustainable water development 21 Jun 2018 | IANS
- India, US officials to discuss trade issues on June 26-27 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India a responsible aid provider to Afghanistan: US 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Working on dismantling non-tariff and para-tariff barriers with India: B'desh 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Statue honouring Sikh soldiers who fought for Britain to be installed in UK 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Observing the Yoga Day, the school students of Sharda Vihar School performed Yoga postures on Thursday. Observing International Yoga Day 750 students of the school got information about Yoga and students were informed about the benefits of Yoga were...