Lesbian Hindu, Jewish women wed in Britain
A Hindu woman and her Jewish partner have married in what is believed to be Britain's first interfaith lesbian wedding.
Kalavati Mistry and Miriam Jefferson met more than 20 years ago on a training course in the US and tied the knot in a Hindu ceremony last week in Leicester, the Daily Mail reported.
Both the women wore traditional red and white bridal colours, fresh garlands, and "mangal sutra" necklaces during the ceremony to show they had married, the report said.
Jefferson said they already had a Jewish wedding in her hometown San Antonio, Texas, earlier this year.
Mistry said she had kept her sexuality a secret for years and it had been "very difficult for me as an Asian gay woman".
However, she said her friends and family have been "welcoming and embracing" to Jefferson, adding: "I hope many many gay people -- no matter what religion or culture they're in -- are in loving relationships."
Although attitudes are changing, it was very difficult to find a priest to conduct the wedding ceremony, Mistry was quoted as saying.
"I'm very grateful that we've been able to do this. I will follow the Hindu faith and follow some of the Jewish traditions.
Jefferson said: "It's really nice to now have a Hindu wedding here because it brings both of us together and completes both of us in my eyes."
The couple works for an interfaith organisation and have flown off to Texas where they will settle down.
- Rahul Gandhi's US takeaways positive, but rejuvenating Congress still a task 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Mattis to visit India, meet PM Modi next week 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Indian flies to Singapore to buy new iPhone as wedding gift for daughter 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- US diplomat bats for building on Indian diaspora connect 22 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Kashmir should be resolved bilaterally by India, Pak: China 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
- NSA Doval's 'double squeeze' strategy will never succeed: Pak 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
- There can be no justification for terrorism: Swaraj to SCO 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Portugal PM supports India's bids for UNSC membership 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Indus Water Treaty can be resolved within its agreement: Abbasi 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- "Politics of polarisation" a central challenge in India: Rahul 20 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
In a clear indication of an irreconcilable rift between it and its senior alliance partner BJP, the Shiv Sena on Saturday staged simultaneous protests at 12 places across the metropolis against the hike in prices of fuel, essential commodities and domestic gas cylinders. Amid intense speculation that Sena president Uddhav Thackeray — during his Dussehra rally to be held next week — might announce withdrawal of his party’s support to the...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Saturday said that the foundation for new power plant at Patratu — a joint venture of Jharkhand Government and National Thermal Power Corruption (NTPC) will be laid soon. During a meeting with NTPC Chairman Gurdeep Singh here on Thursday CM said that the plant will not only fill the energy gap in State but will also be able to supply power to other States...