- AAP MLAs allegedly assault Delhi Chief Secretary in CM's presence
- PNB closed all options to recover dues by going public: Modi
- Fitch places PNB on 'Rating Watch Negative' with downgrade possibility
- PNB fraud: SC to hear PIL seeking SIT probe on Friday
- SC to hear actress Priya's plea seeking quashing of FIR
- India test fires medium range nuclear capable Agni-II missile
- Pak drug smuggler killed; 10 kg narcotics, arms seized along IB: BSF
UK says Jallianwala Bagh massacre
The UK has sidestepped London mayor Sadiq Khan's call for an official apology on the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre, saying the government has "rightly condemned" the "deeply shameful act" in British history in the past.
The UK Foreign Office statement comes after Khan during his visit to Amritsar yesterday said the British government should apologise for the mass killing.
"I'm clear that the Government should now apologise, especially as we reach the centenary of the massacre. This is about properly acknowledging what happened here and giving the people of Amritsar and India the closure they need through a formal apology," Pakistani-origin Khan said during his ongoing trade mission to India and Pakistan.
He described the massacre as one of the most horrific events in India's history.
The Foreign Office invoked former British Prime Minister David Cameron's views on the issue after Khan asked for an apology.
"As the former Prime Minister said when he visited the Jallianwala Bagh in 2013, the massacre was a deeply shameful act in British history and one that we should never forget. It is right that we pay respect to those who lost their lives and remember what happened. The British Government rightly condemned the events at the time," it said in a statement.
The UK's Conservative party-led government had last fallen short of a formal apology for the massacre during a visit to Amritsar by Cameron.
During his Indian trade mission in February 2013, Cameron had said it would be wrong to "reach back into history" and apologise for the wrongs of British colonialism.
Meanwhile, a veteran UK-Indian MP has revived his petition calling for an apology by Britian for the massacre after Khan's demand.
Virendra Sharma, a fellow Opposition Labour Party member like Khan, had launched the petition on the UK Parliament's website earlier this year but it has attracted just over 1,778 signatures.
At 10,000 signatures, the UK government would have to respond to the petition and at 100,000 it has to be considered for a House of Commons debate.
"In 1919 Colonel Dyer ordered his men to fire, and maybe 1,000 peaceful protesters were left dead. At the time Winston Churchill proclaimed the massacre 'monstrous' and the British Government condemned Dyer for his actions, but no apology has since been forthcoming. It is now time to apologise," the petition reads.
Punjabi-origin Sharma has been campaigning for an apology over the years.
Khan, who was on a three-city tour to India, visited New Delhi, Mumbai and Amritsar to strengthen the UK's capital trade ties with India.
- Tight security in Amritsar ahead of Trudeau visit 20 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Pak summons Indian diplomat over death of 8-year-old boy in cross-border firing 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Highly-skilled Indian professionals step up UK protests 20 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Amarinder to meet Trudeau in Amritsar 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Sikh Uber driver held at gunpoint by passenger in US 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Indian-origin officer may become Britain's anti-terror police chief 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Get over yourself for Indian cinema's progress: KJo to filmmakers 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Indian-American seeks re-election to city council in Texas 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Six Indian Americans win Gates Cambridge scholarship 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Indian-American teacher hailed for saving students during Florida shooting 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Feb 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
In a first major action, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Tuesday attached properties worth Rs 2 crore of Santhal Pargana Divisional Commissioner Pradeep Kumar allegedly earned through illegal means when he was secretary (health) from June 2008 to August 2009. Kumar, a 1991 batch IAS officer, has been accused of being involved in the NRHM (National Rural Health Mission) scam worth Rs 130 crore, taking bribe of Rs 4...