- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
US man accused of killing Indian techie pleads not guilty
A US Navy veteran charged with killing an Indian techie and injuring two others in a racially motivated hate crime at a bar in Kansas City early this year has pleaded not guilty.
Adam Purinton, 52, was charged with first-degree murder in the February shooting in Olathe that killed 32-year-old Srinivas Kuchibhotla. He also faces two counts of attempted first-degree murder for wounding two other men.
During a preliminary hearing yesterday, Purinton pleaded "not guilty". He waived his preliminary hearing and the not guilty plea was entered on his behalf.
The next hearing is scheduled for May 8. He faces a maximum penalty of death or life in prison.
Federal prosecutors allege that Purinton targeted Kuchibhotla and another Indian man, Alok Madasani, because of their race or ethnicity. The third man was shot when tried to help the two victims.
Witnesses said Purinton yelled at the two Indian men to "get out of my country" before pulling the trigger.
After the shooting, Purinton drove 70 miles east to an Applebee's restaurant in Clinton, Missouri, where he told a bartender what he'd done.
Kuchibhotla was working at Garmin International.
Federal prosecutors alleged that Purinton committed the offences after substantial planning and premeditation, attempted to kill more than one person in a single criminal episode, and knowingly created a grave risk of death to others on the scene.
- Amarinder to meet Trudeau in Amritsar 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Sikh Uber driver held at gunpoint by passenger in US 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Indian-origin officer may become Britain's anti-terror police chief 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Get over yourself for Indian cinema's progress: KJo to filmmakers 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Indian-American seeks re-election to city council in Texas 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Six Indian Americans win Gates Cambridge scholarship 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Indian-American teacher hailed for saving students during Florida shooting 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Pak accuses India of not reciprocating to its commitment to peace: minister 16 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Pak claims destroying Indian Army post, killing 5 soldiers 16 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Pak fully prepared for India's aggression: FO 15 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...