LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
It’s to be seen how Yogi gets into his new role
This refers to the editorial, “Uttar Pradesh’s Yogi” (March 20). The habitual pseudo-secular (read anti-Hindu) brigade, in the media and elsewhere, has unleashed premature and mischievous speculation about the dangerous days ahead for the Muslim minority due to the appointment of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh's Chief Minister. The contrast between some Hindi TV news channels and their English counterparts, in their thinking and reaction, is huge.
While the former were highlighting Yogi's positive and inclusive aspects, including his post-appointment statements, and views of Yogi's Muslim supporters, the latter were emphasising imagined anxieties of the minority community. It seemed sickening. They tend to forget that India is a secular country because overwhelming majority of its citizens belong to a secular faith which believes in sab dharma sam bhav — equal respect for all religions. Yogi's critics were in a terrible haste to paint him black without waiting to see how he performs in his new, constitutional role under an ever vigilant Prime Minister.
- Israeli friendship 27 May 2017 | Nimai Charan Swain
- Inciting violence 27 May 2017 | TT Sakaria
- Development agenda 27 May 2017 | Sujit De
- Leadership with both vision and mission 27 May 2017 | Vinod C Dixit
- Unending debate 26 May 2017 | Ashutosh Garg
- Constant vigil 26 May 2017 | Ganapathi Bhat
- Perilously inhuman 26 May 2017 | KS Jayatheertha
- Intent is noble but the road is pot-holed 26 May 2017 | R Narayanan
- Playground business 25 May 2017 | Devendra Khurana
- Execution matters 25 May 2017 | Atri Garg
Sunday EditionView All
28 May 2017 | PNS | New Delhi
The Election Commission on Saturday made it clear that EVM challenge will be conducted within the framework of the existing administrative safeguards and security protocols. The commission said that it had never made a 'promise' to hold a “no-holds-barred hackathon” when it announced the EVM hacking challenge...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 May 2017 | PNS | Jamshedpur
As the government appointed probe team reaches at crucial stage ofinvestigation, sources informed that the team is focussing on the landdeal that is suspected to be the reason behind gruesome killings. “During investigation we found that rumours on child lifting was usedan alibi to lynch the youths at both the places by vested interestgroups with some ulterior motives bent on disturbing peace of thesociety...