- Bollywood legend Sridevi passes away at the age of 54
- India beat South Africa by 7 runs to clinch series 2-1
- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
3 cops get death, 5 life term for Gonda fake encounter
The quest for justice for over three decades for 13 families was finally over when a special CBI court here gave capital punishment to three police officials and life imprisonment to remaining 5 cops in connection with a fake police encounter in Madhopur area in Gonda in 1982 in which 13 people including a Deputy Superintendent of Police(Dy SP) KP Singh was killed.
Special CBI judge Rajendra Singh announced the punishment on Friday after convicting all the 8 policemen accused in the case on March 29 last. All the 8 convicted policemen are presently in jail after their conviction. The special judge handed capital punishment to the then SHO of Madhopur police station, R B Saroj, Head Constable Ram Naik and constable Ram Karan. The five given life imprisonment are sub-Inspectors Naseem Ahmed, Mangal Singh, Parvej Hussain, Rajendra Prasad Singh and Head Constable Prem Narain Pandey.
It may be mentioned that court acquitted one head constable Prem Singh after finding no concrete evidences against him but ten others cops who were also charge-sheeted with the above had already died during process of lengthy trial. Those who passed-away included than Deputy SP in Gonda, BM Sharma, station officer of Katra Bazar police station, TR Pal, than inspectors in Gonda-Ram Pal Singh, KP Rai, Shree Kant Pandey, RK Tripathi, along with sub-inspectors- Ram Vriksh Yadav, Ganga Prasad Tewari, and constables Satyakant Tripathi & Jung Bhadhur. While R B Saroj, Ramk Naik, Ram Karan Singh were held guilty for hatching a conspiracy and murder of DySP, K P Singh and others, all the other five accused were held responsible for conspiracy and for suppressing the facts to bail out some other accused.
In all 19 people were made accused in the alleged encounter. The encounter took place in Kudiya locality under Madhopur police station of Gonda on March 13,1982 in which besides Dy SP and Circle Officer K P Singh, a dozen innocent villagers were also killed by the accused who termed then as criminals. The then SP of Gonda, Yashpal Singh claimed that the police officer fell martyr to criminal's bullet during encounter. However, KP Singh's wife Vibha Singh termed it as a well orchestrated killing of her husband by the local police personnel as some officers were not happy with her husband. At that time name of even Yashpal Singh’s name came behind the conspiracy but later the CBI found no evidence against him.
The local officers at that time refused to take cognizance of the matter following which Vibha Singh knocked the door of the High Court which ordered a CBI probe in the matter. Later the CBI probe found the allegations of Vibha Singh true and the investigating team claimed that the killing of K P Singh was well orchestrated cold blooded murder by the local cops. They charge-sheeted 19 policemen all posted in Gonda at that time for killing.
Vibha Singh had died but the daughter of slain DySP and now the Disrict Maigstrate of Bahraich, Kinjal Singh, who was present when the judgement was pronounced here on Friday had commented that though the it was late but she was happy that justice was done. However, she broke down remembering her mother whom she claimed to be missing especially as it was she (Vibha) who took the fight against the accused and fought till the last moment but unfortunately she died before seeing the verdict in the case.
The family members of some other victims who were present in the court seeking capital punishment for all the eight convicts later hailed the decision.
- EC censures Vasundhara for speech intimidating voters 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Elections to 59 RS seats on March 23 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Sunanda case: Response sought from Delhi Police on Swamy‚Äôs plea 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Court refuses to stay summon against Karti 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Call to appoint Lokpal on March 1: Centre to SC 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- CBI registers corruption case against Aurangabad DM Tanuj, officials 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Army floats global tender for 5.5L rifles 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Investors Summit waste of money, says Mayawati 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Don‚Äôt consider Class XI marks for college entry: PIL in Madras HC 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Shotgun fires fresh salvo at PM Modi 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
25 Feb 2018 | M Venkaiah Naidu
Today, we are conferring International Gandhi Award-2017 on two outstanding personalities, Dr MD Gupte and Dr Atul Shah, for their selfless and humanitarian services in the cause of elimination of leprosy and in alleviating the suffering of leprosy-affected patients. Leprosy has been prevalent in our country since a very long time...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Feb 2018 | PNS | Bokaro
Over 600 Government primary and middle schools do not have power supply across the Bokaro district at present. As per the government directive, all the government schools must have been electrified by the end of the financial year 2016-17, about 619 primary and middle schools yet to get electric supply across the district, reveals official data...