- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
- Rijiju asks who is 'polluting' DU girl's mind, draws opposition flak
- Nursery admission row: HC dismisses AAP govt's appeal
- Nokia 3310 makes a comeback, co lines up 3, 5, 6 next quarter
- Two quakes hit Nepal
- Delhi HC stops Mukhtar Ansari from going on parole
- Om Puri, Debbie Reynolds, Carrie Fisher honoured at Oscars
- "Moonlight" wins best picture Oscar, goof-up at announcement.
- Over 25 pc turnout till noon in phase-V of UP polls
3 cops get death, 5 life term for Gonda fake encounter
The quest for justice for over three decades for 13 families was finally over when a special CBI court here gave capital punishment to three police officials and life imprisonment to remaining 5 cops in connection with a fake police encounter in Madhopur area in Gonda in 1982 in which 13 people including a Deputy Superintendent of Police(Dy SP) KP Singh was killed.
Special CBI judge Rajendra Singh announced the punishment on Friday after convicting all the 8 policemen accused in the case on March 29 last. All the 8 convicted policemen are presently in jail after their conviction. The special judge handed capital punishment to the then SHO of Madhopur police station, R B Saroj, Head Constable Ram Naik and constable Ram Karan. The five given life imprisonment are sub-Inspectors Naseem Ahmed, Mangal Singh, Parvej Hussain, Rajendra Prasad Singh and Head Constable Prem Narain Pandey.
It may be mentioned that court acquitted one head constable Prem Singh after finding no concrete evidences against him but ten others cops who were also charge-sheeted with the above had already died during process of lengthy trial. Those who passed-away included than Deputy SP in Gonda, BM Sharma, station officer of Katra Bazar police station, TR Pal, than inspectors in Gonda-Ram Pal Singh, KP Rai, Shree Kant Pandey, RK Tripathi, along with sub-inspectors- Ram Vriksh Yadav, Ganga Prasad Tewari, and constables Satyakant Tripathi & Jung Bhadhur. While R B Saroj, Ramk Naik, Ram Karan Singh were held guilty for hatching a conspiracy and murder of DySP, K P Singh and others, all the other five accused were held responsible for conspiracy and for suppressing the facts to bail out some other accused.
In all 19 people were made accused in the alleged encounter. The encounter took place in Kudiya locality under Madhopur police station of Gonda on March 13,1982 in which besides Dy SP and Circle Officer K P Singh, a dozen innocent villagers were also killed by the accused who termed then as criminals. The then SP of Gonda, Yashpal Singh claimed that the police officer fell martyr to criminal's bullet during encounter. However, KP Singh's wife Vibha Singh termed it as a well orchestrated killing of her husband by the local police personnel as some officers were not happy with her husband. At that time name of even Yashpal Singh’s name came behind the conspiracy but later the CBI found no evidence against him.
The local officers at that time refused to take cognizance of the matter following which Vibha Singh knocked the door of the High Court which ordered a CBI probe in the matter. Later the CBI probe found the allegations of Vibha Singh true and the investigating team claimed that the killing of K P Singh was well orchestrated cold blooded murder by the local cops. They charge-sheeted 19 policemen all posted in Gonda at that time for killing.
Vibha Singh had died but the daughter of slain DySP and now the Disrict Maigstrate of Bahraich, Kinjal Singh, who was present when the judgement was pronounced here on Friday had commented that though the it was late but she was happy that justice was done. However, she broke down remembering her mother whom she claimed to be missing especially as it was she (Vibha) who took the fight against the accused and fought till the last moment but unfortunately she died before seeing the verdict in the case.
The family members of some other victims who were present in the court seeking capital punishment for all the eight convicts later hailed the decision.
MORE Nation NEWS
- Show enthusiasm, study science: PM 27 Feb 2017 | PNS
- Panel: Proper desiltation only improves hydraulic performance of the river 27 Feb 2017 | PNS
- Jaishankar to raise Indians’ security during his US visit 27 Feb 2017 | PNS
- Bihar babus vow to protest against ‘witch-hunting’ 27 Feb 2017 | PNS
- Khadi commission meet at Sabarmati Ashram for first time in over 61 yrs 27 Feb 2017 | PNS
- BSF constable shoots self at LoC 27 Feb 2017 | Khursheed Wani
- Grapevine 27 Feb 2017 | Pioneer
- Donkey, Kasab: Phase-V campaigning at new low 27 Feb 2017 | Virendra Nath Bhatt
- BJP intends to breach SP fort 27 Feb 2017 | Shalabh Saxena
- Modi, not BJP, attracts voters in Cong bastions 27 Feb 2017 | Biswajeet Banerjee
27 Feb 2017 | SRIKANTA K TRIPATHY | Bhubaneswar
The Block Grant teachers have threatened to take to streets once again in March and are planning to intensify their agitation by various means, including boycott of evaluation of answer scripts. The Block Grant teachers in the high schools had boycotted the PRI election over the Government’s apathy towards their demand for suitable salary...
She (Mayawati) can enter into an understanding with the BJP anytime. Actually she is helping the BJP. One must be careful.
Look at the vast range of roles portrayed by Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep or Halley Berry. Their works are my inspiration.
You look at what's happening in Germany, you look at what happened in Sweden. They took in large numbers (immigrants).