3 Ministers, MPs skip House during Question Hour
Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari was cheesed off on Monday when three Union Ministers were not present to field questions pertaining to their Ministries during the Question Hour. Moreover, the MPs against whose name the questions were listed were also absent forcing Ansari to remark “this is an extra ordinary situation. This is not a happy state of affairs.”
The Opposition also took a dig at the Government and quipped “this is the shape of things to come. This is an example of maximum ministers, minimum governance.” Congress member Jairam Ramesh also complained that there was not a single Cabinet Minister present in the House.
This unusual and rare situation emerged a few minutes before the Question Hour was to end, when Ansari moved to the next question after Union Minister Sanjeev Balyan answered questions relating to the Water Resources ministry.
However, neither the member, who had asked the question pertaining to ministry of shipping, nor the minister who was to answer was present provoking Ansari to remark that this was an “extraordinary situation.”
As the chair took up the next question relating to the Environment Ministry, there was again no one from the ruling side to answer it. Ramesh then complained that there was not even a single Cabinet Minister present in the House.
Only Ministers of State Nirmala Sitharaman, Ram Kirpal Yadav and Balyan were seen present. Ansari then moved to the next question relating to the Ministry of Power, but this too could not be taken up as the concerned minister was not present to answer it.
- Trump thanks India for Afghanistan development 28 Jun 2017 | PTI
- MHA to Delhi cops: Act against Golf Club for N-E bias 28 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Congress slams Govt over US reference to ‘Indian-controlled J&K’ 28 Jun 2017 | PTI
- ‘India a land of opportunities’ 28 Jun 2017 | PTI
- ‘US global terrorist call on HM chief will choke his financing’ 28 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Presidential poll not a Dalit vs Dalit fight, says Meira 28 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Cong deliberately refuses to see US visit outcomes, retorts Venkaiah 28 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Opp targets PM on India-US joint statement 28 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Cruise Tourism to be a game changer: Min 28 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Youth jumps from 30-feet high metro station to avoid fine, survives 28 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 Jun 2017 | PNS | CHANDIGARH
After introducing a policy on purchase of land voluntarily offered for development projects, Haryana Government on Tuesday launched a web portal to provide a database of such available land and land sale offers in the State. Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched “ebhoomiharyana...