3 Ministers, MPs skip House during Question Hour
Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari was cheesed off on Monday when three Union Ministers were not present to field questions pertaining to their Ministries during the Question Hour. Moreover, the MPs against whose name the questions were listed were also absent forcing Ansari to remark “this is an extra ordinary situation. This is not a happy state of affairs.”
The Opposition also took a dig at the Government and quipped “this is the shape of things to come. This is an example of maximum ministers, minimum governance.” Congress member Jairam Ramesh also complained that there was not a single Cabinet Minister present in the House.
This unusual and rare situation emerged a few minutes before the Question Hour was to end, when Ansari moved to the next question after Union Minister Sanjeev Balyan answered questions relating to the Water Resources ministry.
However, neither the member, who had asked the question pertaining to ministry of shipping, nor the minister who was to answer was present provoking Ansari to remark that this was an “extraordinary situation.”
As the chair took up the next question relating to the Environment Ministry, there was again no one from the ruling side to answer it. Ramesh then complained that there was not even a single Cabinet Minister present in the House.
Only Ministers of State Nirmala Sitharaman, Ram Kirpal Yadav and Balyan were seen present. Ansari then moved to the next question relating to the Ministry of Power, but this too could not be taken up as the concerned minister was not present to answer it.
- India can face China, Pak but threat is from within: Farooq 18 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Two arrested with Rs 1.13 cr in demonetised notes in Hyd 18 Aug 2017 | PTI
- With eye to 2019 polls, UP Govt to construct link roads to villages 18 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Omar fooling people on Art 35A: BJP 18 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Maneka seeks Sushma‚Äôs help to rescue Hyderabadi minor married to Omani sheikh 18 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Paswan-led LJP hails PM‚Äôs I-Day speech 18 Aug 2017 | PNS
- NHAI toll plazas to be FASTag-enabled, apps launched 18 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Reveal details of probe into bomb-making conspiracy: SC to CBI 18 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Caught in political crossfire, Purohit tells apex court 18 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Pay Rs 10L compensation to raped woman, SC orders Bihar 18 Aug 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | bhopal
A 35-year-old dalit woman's nose was allegedly slashed and her husband was beaten by two members of an upper caste family at Renvjha village in Sagar district of Madhya Pradesh. Narendra Singh (32) and his father Sahab Singh beat up the woman's husband on Monday when he refused to go to their house and do some work, inspector RS Bagri of Surkhi police station said...