38% MLAs, 70% MPs facing criminal cases
Altogether 38 per cent MLAs in Bihar and 70 per cent MPs from the State are facing criminal charges and they belong to all the political parties. Of the 243 MLAs, criminal cases are registered against 141 and 97 of them are facing charges of serious crime. There are 40 members of Lok Sabha from Bihar and 28 of them have declared criminal cases against them.
The figures were brought by Bihar Election Watch (BEW) in its findings which is based on the affidavits filed by these lawmkers and analysed by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
BEW coordinator Rajiv Kumar said, "The Supreme Court on Wednesday had pointed out the increasing criminalisation in politics while directing the Centre to come up with a scheme to set-up special fast-track courts that would deal exclusively with the criminal cases pending against Legislators and Parliamentarians. It is hoped that the Centre would come up with the scheme to set up special fast-track courts by December 13, as recommended by the apex court, in order to expedite ruling of pending criminal cases against Legislators."
Among the political parties, RJD has the maximum number of MLAs with criminal cases (46) followed by JD(U), with 37 and BJP with 34 MLAs.
The status of Lok Sabha MPs from Bihar with declared criminal cases against themselves is also quite alarming. Out of 40 MPs whose affidavits were analysed by ADR, 28 or 70 per cent of total MPs are facing cases against themselves of which 20 have serious criminal cases pending against themselves.
All 4 MPs from RJD have declared serious criminal cases while 3 of the six MPs of LJP and eight of BJP have declared serious criminal cases.
The Rajya Sabha too is not immune from MPs of Bihar with declared criminal cases. Out of 16 Rajya Sabha MPs whose affidavits were analysed, five have declared criminal cases of which three have declared serious offences.
Thus 19 per cent of the total Rajya Sabha MPs from Bihar have declared serious criminal cases against themselves.
- India successfully test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise 22 May 2018 | PTI
- KVIC sets world record on World Honey-Bee Day 22 May 2018 | PNS
- China calls mining report near Arunachal border ‚Äėgroundless‚Äô 22 May 2018 | IANS
- Modi tells students he saw a Putin different from the President 22 May 2018 | PTI
- PM invokes Vajpayee to assert strong bond between India, Russia 22 May 2018 | PTI
- Indo-Russian ties enjoy strategic partnership: Modi to Putin 22 May 2018 | PTI
- NHRC issues notice to UP Govt over 13 hooch deaths 22 May 2018 | PNS
- UP police pledges to fight subversive forces on Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary 22 May 2018 | PNS
- Rly to close 150 yrs old rail section in Patna for road 22 May 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- Stamped ballot papers lay strewn in Bengal boondocks 22 May 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...