38% MLAs, 70% MPs facing criminal cases
Altogether 38 per cent MLAs in Bihar and 70 per cent MPs from the State are facing criminal charges and they belong to all the political parties. Of the 243 MLAs, criminal cases are registered against 141 and 97 of them are facing charges of serious crime. There are 40 members of Lok Sabha from Bihar and 28 of them have declared criminal cases against them.
The figures were brought by Bihar Election Watch (BEW) in its findings which is based on the affidavits filed by these lawmkers and analysed by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
BEW coordinator Rajiv Kumar said, "The Supreme Court on Wednesday had pointed out the increasing criminalisation in politics while directing the Centre to come up with a scheme to set-up special fast-track courts that would deal exclusively with the criminal cases pending against Legislators and Parliamentarians. It is hoped that the Centre would come up with the scheme to set up special fast-track courts by December 13, as recommended by the apex court, in order to expedite ruling of pending criminal cases against Legislators."
Among the political parties, RJD has the maximum number of MLAs with criminal cases (46) followed by JD(U), with 37 and BJP with 34 MLAs.
The status of Lok Sabha MPs from Bihar with declared criminal cases against themselves is also quite alarming. Out of 40 MPs whose affidavits were analysed by ADR, 28 or 70 per cent of total MPs are facing cases against themselves of which 20 have serious criminal cases pending against themselves.
All 4 MPs from RJD have declared serious criminal cases while 3 of the six MPs of LJP and eight of BJP have declared serious criminal cases.
The Rajya Sabha too is not immune from MPs of Bihar with declared criminal cases. Out of 16 Rajya Sabha MPs whose affidavits were analysed, five have declared criminal cases of which three have declared serious offences.
Thus 19 per cent of the total Rajya Sabha MPs from Bihar have declared serious criminal cases against themselves.
- Woman's chopped body part found in Rohtak: Police 13 Dec 2017 | PTI
- WTO talks set to collapse as US refuses to engage on food security issue 13 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Entitled to spl treatment at WTO: India 13 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Inspired by crime thriller, wife kills hubby, disfigures paramour 13 Dec 2017 | Omer Farooq
- TRS MLA watches as husband, gunmen beat up toll staff 13 Dec 2017 | Omer Farooq
- TINA factor may benefit BJP in north Gujarat 13 Dec 2017 | NAYAN DAVE
- Ulfa kills two in Assam, police to seek help from Arunachal, Nagaland 13 Dec 2017 | Anup Sharma
- AP CM launches Chandranna Village Mall scheme 13 Dec 2017 | V Sudhakar Rao
- He must be hanged, says Jisha‚Äôs mom 13 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Assamese migrant worker found guilty 13 Dec 2017 | VR Jayaraj
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
13 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Congress will organise a yatra covering all the 11 districts where the party feels that the employment rights of the locals have been compromised with. The protest is also against the said promise reportedly made by Chief Minister Raghubar Das to amend the decision allowing outsiders into Government jobs in certain part of the State...