Army orders court of inquiry
The Army has ordered a court of inquiry into the incident in which a man was tied in front of a jeep as a human shield allegedly by the Army to ward off stone throwers on April 9 in Budgam district of South Kashmir. The inquiry will be held in Srinagar and the officers conducting the probe were asked to submit the findings within a month.
The incident, which was captured on video and went viral, took place in Budgam. Sources said a Major rank officer was allegedly involved in it. He reportedly ordered that the young man, who was allegedly nabbed throwing stones at security forces and a poll conducting party, be tied in front of an Army jeep to prevent mobs from pelting stones on the party. Earlier, the Army had an in house investigation to ascertain the facts and decided on Thursday to go in for a court of inquiry, sources said here.
While several political parties condemned the reported high-handedness of the Army, officials have so far maintained that the Major showed presence of mind and took this initiative after receiving a call that a poll party and accompanying security men were getting hit by stones.
The officer rushed into safely escort the team out of the area, sources said adding mobs were standing on rooftops to prevent security forces from assisting in peaceful conduct of the polls. The Major brought out the entire team safely without resorting to force and prevented the already volatile situation from getting worse, they claimed.
- All is not well with TDP-BJP alliance in AP! 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Faction fighting in TDP rears its ugly head again 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shatrughan-Sushil Twitter war effort to gain lost status? 24 May 2017 | Faizan Ahmad
- Partnership with TMC limited to Prez polls: Bengal Congress 24 May 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Shiv Sena protests over Karnataka Min’s threat to Marathi-speaking MLAs 24 May 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- 2 years of AIADMK Govt: Uncertainty looms large 24 May 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Modi for cooperation between African nations, India 24 May 2017 | Nayan Dave
- Local leaders’ laxity in implementing road map upsets BJP chief 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shah begins work to win Telangana to conquer South 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Cong lauds Army for action across LoC 24 May 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...