Army orders court of inquiry
The Army has ordered a court of inquiry into the incident in which a man was tied in front of a jeep as a human shield allegedly by the Army to ward off stone throwers on April 9 in Budgam district of South Kashmir. The inquiry will be held in Srinagar and the officers conducting the probe were asked to submit the findings within a month.
The incident, which was captured on video and went viral, took place in Budgam. Sources said a Major rank officer was allegedly involved in it. He reportedly ordered that the young man, who was allegedly nabbed throwing stones at security forces and a poll conducting party, be tied in front of an Army jeep to prevent mobs from pelting stones on the party. Earlier, the Army had an in house investigation to ascertain the facts and decided on Thursday to go in for a court of inquiry, sources said here.
While several political parties condemned the reported high-handedness of the Army, officials have so far maintained that the Major showed presence of mind and took this initiative after receiving a call that a poll party and accompanying security men were getting hit by stones.
The officer rushed into safely escort the team out of the area, sources said adding mobs were standing on rooftops to prevent security forces from assisting in peaceful conduct of the polls. The Major brought out the entire team safely without resorting to force and prevented the already volatile situation from getting worse, they claimed.
- India successfully test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise 22 May 2018 | PTI
- KVIC sets world record on World Honey-Bee Day 22 May 2018 | PNS
- China calls mining report near Arunachal border ‚Äėgroundless‚Äô 22 May 2018 | IANS
- Modi tells students he saw a Putin different from the President 22 May 2018 | PTI
- PM invokes Vajpayee to assert strong bond between India, Russia 22 May 2018 | PTI
- Indo-Russian ties enjoy strategic partnership: Modi to Putin 22 May 2018 | PTI
- NHRC issues notice to UP Govt over 13 hooch deaths 22 May 2018 | PNS
- UP police pledges to fight subversive forces on Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary 22 May 2018 | PNS
- Rly to close 150 yrs old rail section in Patna for road 22 May 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- Stamped ballot papers lay strewn in Bengal boondocks 22 May 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...