Army orders court of inquiry
The Army has ordered a court of inquiry into the incident in which a man was tied in front of a jeep as a human shield allegedly by the Army to ward off stone throwers on April 9 in Budgam district of South Kashmir. The inquiry will be held in Srinagar and the officers conducting the probe were asked to submit the findings within a month.
The incident, which was captured on video and went viral, took place in Budgam. Sources said a Major rank officer was allegedly involved in it. He reportedly ordered that the young man, who was allegedly nabbed throwing stones at security forces and a poll conducting party, be tied in front of an Army jeep to prevent mobs from pelting stones on the party. Earlier, the Army had an in house investigation to ascertain the facts and decided on Thursday to go in for a court of inquiry, sources said here.
While several political parties condemned the reported high-handedness of the Army, officials have so far maintained that the Major showed presence of mind and took this initiative after receiving a call that a poll party and accompanying security men were getting hit by stones.
The officer rushed into safely escort the team out of the area, sources said adding mobs were standing on rooftops to prevent security forces from assisting in peaceful conduct of the polls. The Major brought out the entire team safely without resorting to force and prevented the already volatile situation from getting worse, they claimed.
- Akhilesh questions Yogi Govt’s feats in 100 days in power 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Visit of NDA Prez pick delays White Paper release 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- JD(S) to support UPA nominee Meira Kumar 26 Jun 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI
- Kovind kickstarts campaign from Lucknow 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Pak Army fires mortar shells, targets civilians on eve of Eid 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Ahmedabad Rath Yatra showcases communal harmony 26 Jun 2017 | Nayan Dave
- Attack on George Baker: BJP demands Mamata’s scalp 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Won’t let polls happen in Darj: GJM 26 Jun 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Puducherry tussle: MHA clears air on L-G powers 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Swamy wants status quo for Hindu bodies 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Jun 2017 | PNS | Nainital
The Shipra river which flows towards the north, contrary to most rivers, has been degenerated into a sewer with garbage being dumped in the river apart from the sewer. After concerned locals cleaned up the riverbed despite apathy of the local body, the district administration has taken cognisance of the issue and directed action against those polluting this river...