Army's M-777 howitzer damaged during firing in Pokhran
The Army's new long-range ultra- light (ULH) howitzer M-777 was damaged during a field trial in Pokhran firing range and a probe has been ordered into the incident, Army sources said here.
The sources said the barrel of the US-manufactured gun exploded when it was firing Indian ammunition on September 2.
India had received two M-777 ultra-light howitzers in May, each worth around Rs 35 crore, after a gap of 30 years since the Bofors scandal broke out, and the accident took place in one of them.
The field trials of the 155 mm, 39-calibre guns manufactured by BAE systems were being carried out at Pokhran in Rajasthan with an aim to collate and determine various critical data like trajectory, speed and frequency.
"During the firing, the projectile which was fifth of the series, exited the barrel in multiple pieces, causing the accident," an army source said.
There was no injury to anyone.
"The barrel of the gun has been damaged, extent of which is being assessed by Joint Investigation Team," the source said.
- Bhagwat attends RSS camp on ST community 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Earring taken out from kid‚Äôs windpipe 20 Jun 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Experts compare Marxism with different socio-economic orders 20 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Ex-Cong MLA Jai Kishen to hold protest against AAP, BJP 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PC files plea to quash June 12 order 20 Jun 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- India to construct war memorial at Villers Guislain in France 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- After sex-change, Lalita reports to duty as cop Lalit 20 Jun 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Leaders facing no threat get police security in Kerala 20 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj
- 5 charred to death in UP hotel inferno 20 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Triple murder rocks Mathura 20 Jun 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...