- Bullet-riddled body of man working for Army found: police
- Violent threats not acceptable in democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Steep fare hike will 'kill' Delhi Metro: Kejriwal
- Pakistan justifies Hafiz Saeed's release
- President urges legal fraternity to provide free services to poor
- Egypt army launches offensive against militants after deadly mosque attack
Army's M-777 howitzer damaged during firing in Pokhran
The Army's new long-range ultra- light (ULH) howitzer M-777 was damaged during a field trial in Pokhran firing range and a probe has been ordered into the incident, Army sources said here.
The sources said the barrel of the US-manufactured gun exploded when it was firing Indian ammunition on September 2.
India had received two M-777 ultra-light howitzers in May, each worth around Rs 35 crore, after a gap of 30 years since the Bofors scandal broke out, and the accident took place in one of them.
The field trials of the 155 mm, 39-calibre guns manufactured by BAE systems were being carried out at Pokhran in Rajasthan with an aim to collate and determine various critical data like trajectory, speed and frequency.
"During the firing, the projectile which was fifth of the series, exited the barrel in multiple pieces, causing the accident," an army source said.
There was no injury to anyone.
"The barrel of the gun has been damaged, extent of which is being assessed by Joint Investigation Team," the source said.
- Solution to reverse Delhi's air pollution lies in Haryana, Punjab: Kejriwal 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- MP CM derides use of mummy-papa, dad instead of ‚Äėmata-pita' 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- India sends 3k family bags to Rakhine state 25 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Visit Oxygen Chamber for a breath of fresh air 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- India can become role model in growth of children: UNICEF 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Multi-State mock drill on tsunami preparedness held 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- By-elections in four States on December 21 25 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Capital witnesses coldest Nov 24 morning in 11 yrs 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Hardik gets Y category security after threat 25 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Assam Min blames it on media, says sorry for Cancer controversy 25 Nov 2017 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Gautam Nagar police have nabbed a miscreant on Friday on the charge of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at Gautam Nagar on Friday. Police said that the accused Raj Sharma sexually assaulted the victim who was on her way home in the afternoon...