- HC refuses to stay framing of charges against Tejpal
- We've right to shoot down US bombers outside our airspace: N.Korea
- Any claim of declaring war on N Korea absurd: White House
- India exposes Pakistan's use of fake photo at UN; shows image of own terror victim
- Haryana Police conducts raids in Delhi for Honeypreet, Aditya Insan
Army's M-777 howitzer damaged during firing in Pokhran
The Army's new long-range ultra- light (ULH) howitzer M-777 was damaged during a field trial in Pokhran firing range and a probe has been ordered into the incident, Army sources said here.
The sources said the barrel of the US-manufactured gun exploded when it was firing Indian ammunition on September 2.
India had received two M-777 ultra-light howitzers in May, each worth around Rs 35 crore, after a gap of 30 years since the Bofors scandal broke out, and the accident took place in one of them.
The field trials of the 155 mm, 39-calibre guns manufactured by BAE systems were being carried out at Pokhran in Rajasthan with an aim to collate and determine various critical data like trajectory, speed and frequency.
"During the firing, the projectile which was fifth of the series, exited the barrel in multiple pieces, causing the accident," an army source said.
There was no injury to anyone.
"The barrel of the gun has been damaged, extent of which is being assessed by Joint Investigation Team," the source said.
- Rs 20 cr drugs seized; 2 held 26 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Myanmar officials: Insurgents killed 45 Hindu villagers 26 Sep 2017 | AP
- Ask traders on GST impact: PC to BJP 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Indo-US Def relationship not at exclusion of others: Mattis 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Saubhagya is repackaging of UPA Govt‚Äôs 2005 scheme: NCP 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Former Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi takes over as CAG 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- CBI court dismisses plea of Ram Rahim‚Äôs ex-driver 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Dera Sacha chief approaches HC, challenges CBI court conviction 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Fugitive Honey moves HC for transit anticipatory bail 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- India slams Pak for using fake pic at UN 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | AFP | Berlin
Chancellor Angela Merkel and her rival Martin Schulz rallied voters on the eve of Sunday’s vote, urging Germans to shun the first hard-right party expected to enter parliament in force since the end of World War II. Merkel, the clear frontrunner after 12 years in power with a double-digit lead, also told her conservative base not to get complacent and to cast their ballots, rousing them with a folksy call to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Whether it is State government or Centre, they are looting people to fill treasury by increasing petrol and diesel prices and making holes in the pockets of common man, alleged Leader of Opposition in the State assembly Ajay Singh. Singh has raised demand of waiver of VAT and tax on petrol and diesel...