- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
Bhagwat's Army remark insulting, says Mayawati
Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati on Tuesday lambasted Rastriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat for comparing Sangh activists with Army jawans fighting on the borders.
She said the comparison made by the RSS chief between the Army and the Sangh is “disturbing and insulting”.
Bhagwat has come in for criticism from Opposition parties for remarks that the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) had the ability to fight for the country with three days' training if needed, while the Army would take 6-7 months to ready troops.
In a statement issued in Lucknow on Tuesday, the BSP chief said, "The comparison made between Army and RSS swayamsevaks (volunteers) by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat is indeed disturbing and insulting."
Maywati added, "If Bhagwat has so much faith in his militant swayamsevaks, then why are special commandos engaged in his security at the government's expenses?"
The BSP chief said that at a time when the army is facing different types of challenges, the statement made by the RSS chief lowers the morale of the force.
Mayawati demanded that Bhagwat tender an apology to the country for his "wrong" statement.
- EC censures Vasundhara for speech intimidating voters 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Elections to 59 RS seats on March 23 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Sunanda case: Response sought from Delhi Police on Swamy‚Äôs plea 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Court refuses to stay summon against Karti 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Call to appoint Lokpal on March 1: Centre to SC 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- CBI registers corruption case against Aurangabad DM Tanuj, officials 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Army floats global tender for 5.5L rifles 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Investors Summit waste of money, says Mayawati 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Don‚Äôt consider Class XI marks for college entry: PIL in Madras HC 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Shotgun fires fresh salvo at PM Modi 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...