Bihar topper scam: Relief to mastermind Bachha denied
The Supreme Court on Thursday held the charge against the kingpin of the Bihar toppers’ scandal Bachha Rai, who secured top ranks for students in Class 12 examinations in connivance with the Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB), to be too “grave” and turned down the conditional bail granted in his favour by the Patna High Court on February 14.
Approaching the apex court against the HC order, the Bihar Government had relied on its chargesheet and subsequent investigation to highlight the role of Amit Kumar alias Bachha Rai who was the mastermind of the entire scandal. In all, there were 32 accused, which also included BSEB Chariman Lalkeshwar Prasad Singh and his wife and former JD(U) legislator Usha Sinha.
The apex Bench, headed by Justice NV Ramana, set aside the HC order which allowed Rai to walk out on bail if the State police failed to frame charges against Rai within a month. Rai was the Secretary-cum-Principal of VR College at Vaishali, the institution which came under scanner after students who topped in the Bihar Board Exams across all streams were found to have no knowledge of their subjects. Police investigation revealed that Rai colluded with BSEB to get exam centre for select students allotted at his institution where irregularities were committed in evaluation of answer sheets by which these students scored high marks.
This institution thus produced toppers every year. But last year, when some of the toppers were interviewed by journalists, to their horror they discovered that one of the toppers termed political science as “prodigal science” and described it as a subject where cooking is taught. On a retest most of these students failed.
- Akhilesh questions Yogi Govt’s feats in 100 days in power 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Visit of NDA Prez pick delays White Paper release 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- JD(S) to support UPA nominee Meira Kumar 26 Jun 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI
- Kovind kickstarts campaign from Lucknow 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Pak Army fires mortar shells, targets civilians on eve of Eid 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Ahmedabad Rath Yatra showcases communal harmony 26 Jun 2017 | Nayan Dave
- Attack on George Baker: BJP demands Mamata’s scalp 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Won’t let polls happen in Darj: GJM 26 Jun 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Puducherry tussle: MHA clears air on L-G powers 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Swamy wants status quo for Hindu bodies 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Jun 2017 | PNS | Nainital
The Shipra river which flows towards the north, contrary to most rivers, has been degenerated into a sewer with garbage being dumped in the river apart from the sewer. After concerned locals cleaned up the riverbed despite apathy of the local body, the district administration has taken cognisance of the issue and directed action against those polluting this river...