Bihar topper scam: Relief to mastermind Bachha denied
The Supreme Court on Thursday held the charge against the kingpin of the Bihar toppers’ scandal Bachha Rai, who secured top ranks for students in Class 12 examinations in connivance with the Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB), to be too “grave” and turned down the conditional bail granted in his favour by the Patna High Court on February 14.
Approaching the apex court against the HC order, the Bihar Government had relied on its chargesheet and subsequent investigation to highlight the role of Amit Kumar alias Bachha Rai who was the mastermind of the entire scandal. In all, there were 32 accused, which also included BSEB Chariman Lalkeshwar Prasad Singh and his wife and former JD(U) legislator Usha Sinha.
The apex Bench, headed by Justice NV Ramana, set aside the HC order which allowed Rai to walk out on bail if the State police failed to frame charges against Rai within a month. Rai was the Secretary-cum-Principal of VR College at Vaishali, the institution which came under scanner after students who topped in the Bihar Board Exams across all streams were found to have no knowledge of their subjects. Police investigation revealed that Rai colluded with BSEB to get exam centre for select students allotted at his institution where irregularities were committed in evaluation of answer sheets by which these students scored high marks.
This institution thus produced toppers every year. But last year, when some of the toppers were interviewed by journalists, to their horror they discovered that one of the toppers termed political science as “prodigal science” and described it as a subject where cooking is taught. On a retest most of these students failed.
- India successfully test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise 22 May 2018 | PTI
- KVIC sets world record on World Honey-Bee Day 22 May 2018 | PNS
- China calls mining report near Arunachal border ‚Äėgroundless‚Äô 22 May 2018 | IANS
- Modi tells students he saw a Putin different from the President 22 May 2018 | PTI
- PM invokes Vajpayee to assert strong bond between India, Russia 22 May 2018 | PTI
- Indo-Russian ties enjoy strategic partnership: Modi to Putin 22 May 2018 | PTI
- NHRC issues notice to UP Govt over 13 hooch deaths 22 May 2018 | PNS
- UP police pledges to fight subversive forces on Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary 22 May 2018 | PNS
- Rly to close 150 yrs old rail section in Patna for road 22 May 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- Stamped ballot papers lay strewn in Bengal boondocks 22 May 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...