Bihar topper scam: Relief to mastermind Bachha denied
The Supreme Court on Thursday held the charge against the kingpin of the Bihar toppers’ scandal Bachha Rai, who secured top ranks for students in Class 12 examinations in connivance with the Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB), to be too “grave” and turned down the conditional bail granted in his favour by the Patna High Court on February 14.
Approaching the apex court against the HC order, the Bihar Government had relied on its chargesheet and subsequent investigation to highlight the role of Amit Kumar alias Bachha Rai who was the mastermind of the entire scandal. In all, there were 32 accused, which also included BSEB Chariman Lalkeshwar Prasad Singh and his wife and former JD(U) legislator Usha Sinha.
The apex Bench, headed by Justice NV Ramana, set aside the HC order which allowed Rai to walk out on bail if the State police failed to frame charges against Rai within a month. Rai was the Secretary-cum-Principal of VR College at Vaishali, the institution which came under scanner after students who topped in the Bihar Board Exams across all streams were found to have no knowledge of their subjects. Police investigation revealed that Rai colluded with BSEB to get exam centre for select students allotted at his institution where irregularities were committed in evaluation of answer sheets by which these students scored high marks.
This institution thus produced toppers every year. But last year, when some of the toppers were interviewed by journalists, to their horror they discovered that one of the toppers termed political science as “prodigal science” and described it as a subject where cooking is taught. On a retest most of these students failed.
- All is not well with TDP-BJP alliance in AP! 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Faction fighting in TDP rears its ugly head again 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shatrughan-Sushil Twitter war effort to gain lost status? 24 May 2017 | Faizan Ahmad
- Partnership with TMC limited to Prez polls: Bengal Congress 24 May 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Shiv Sena protests over Karnataka Min’s threat to Marathi-speaking MLAs 24 May 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- 2 years of AIADMK Govt: Uncertainty looms large 24 May 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Modi for cooperation between African nations, India 24 May 2017 | Nayan Dave
- Local leaders’ laxity in implementing road map upsets BJP chief 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shah begins work to win Telangana to conquer South 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Cong lauds Army for action across LoC 24 May 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...