- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
BMC polls: BJP to contest 192 seats, leaves 35 seats to allies
Having hammered out a seat-sharing pact with three smaller parties, the BJP will contest 192 out of the total 227 seats in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) polls, while leaving the remaining 35 seats to its allies.
Under the tie-up it has finalised with the three smaller parties, the Ramdas Athawale-led Republican Party of India (A) will contest 25 seats, while the Rashriya Samaj Paksha and Shiv Sangram will field candidates in the remaining six and four wards respectively.
The Maharashtra BJP on Friday formalised the seat-sharing arrangement with three smaller allies at the final round of talks its leaders held with their counterparts from the RPI(A), RSP and Shiv Sangram.
Incidentally, Friday was the last day for filing of nominations for the BMC polls scheduled for February 21.
Talking to media persons after inking the pact with three smaller parties, Maharashtra BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari said that if his party came to power in the BMC, it would install its Mayor and give the post of the Deputy Mayor's post to the RPI(A). "In addition, we will give the chairman's post of one of the statutory committees in the BMC to one of our three allies," Bhandari said.
Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment And RP(A) president Ramdas Athawale said: "Though we had demanded 40 to 45 seats for our party, we are satisfied that the BJP has allotted us 25 seats".
Shiv Sangram leader Vinayuak Methe said, "We have been allotted just four seats. We are not exactly happy with the number of seats allotted to us. But, we will not make an issue of the deal we have got".
Meanwhile, the RPI(A) has announced that it would go it alone in the February 21 Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) polls.
The RPI (A)'s announcement followed the failure of its talks with the BJP. The BJP allotted mere three seats to the Ramdas Athawale-led party, as against 28 demanded by the latter. In all, 2,388 candidates have filed nominations for the 128 seats in the PCMC polls. As many as 1785 candidates filed their papers on Friday, the last day of nominations for the polls.
- Rajnath‚Äôs Twitter handle gets 10 million followers 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Interim SNJPC report likely to be submitted to SC by next month: Chairman 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Will consult legal experts on appealing against Cauvery verdict: TN CM 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Two cops martyred in Sukma gun battle 19 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DU student from N-E molested, assaulted in Mukherjee Nagar 19 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Cong looking for scam to throw mud on Govt: Nirmala 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- France‚Äôs bank interested in funding smart cities mission 19 Feb 2018 | PNS
- SC slams life insurance firms for denying policy claim 19 Feb 2018 | Abraham Thomas
- Govt for model inclusive school in each district, block 19 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Law Min mum on whether people of Indian origin can campaign in polls 19 Feb 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...