Centre: No more grace period for depositing scrapped notes
The Centre is not inclined to grant any more grace period for depositing the scrapped Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes, saying the very object of demonetisation and elimination of black money would be defeated if further window was given.
"The very object of demonetisation and elimination of black money will be defeated if a window is opened for a further period as the persons in possession of the specified bank notes (scrapped notes of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500) will have had sufficient time and opportunity to carefully plan the reasons and excuses for not depositing the SBNs within the permitted period -- before December 30, 2016," stated the Ministry of Finance in a fresh affidavit filed a day before the hearing in the matter on Tuesday.
Stating another reason for not allowing any more persons to deposit old demonetized currency notes, the Centre submitted, "Any number of benami transactions and user proxies for the purpose of producing and depositing scrapped bank notes would then arise which the departments would have great difficulty in deciding any genuine case from the numerous bogus ones."
The Centre was responding to the July 4 directive asking it to consider granting a window to those who have not been able to exchange the scrapped notes for genuine reasons.
The apex court had said that people should not lose their own money for no fault of theirs.
- BJP Executive meet to focus on strengthening economic base 22 Sep 2017 | PNS
- Govt set to sign agreement with e-retailer Amazon 22 Sep 2017 | PNS
- Campus placement: IIT lifts ban on 30 companies 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Sonia Gandhi urges PM to pass Women Reservation Bill 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Probe Rahul‚Äôs secret British citizenship: Swamy to MHA 22 Sep 2017 | PNS
- IMD predicts heavy rainfall in Delhi on Sept 22, 23 22 Sep 2017 | PNS
- Scorpene-class submarine handed over to Navy 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Plan to quit NDA: Finding haven not easy for BDJS 22 Sep 2017 | VR Jayaraj
- K‚Äôtaka opposes formation of Cauvery Management Board 22 Sep 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI
- Bihar's first English access programme shows results 22 Sep 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
A day-long special session of Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly will be held on Friday. The session would carry out Government business, a Chhattisgarh Assembly press release informed ...