Centre: No more grace period for depositing scrapped notes
The Centre is not inclined to grant any more grace period for depositing the scrapped Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes, saying the very object of demonetisation and elimination of black money would be defeated if further window was given.
"The very object of demonetisation and elimination of black money will be defeated if a window is opened for a further period as the persons in possession of the specified bank notes (scrapped notes of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500) will have had sufficient time and opportunity to carefully plan the reasons and excuses for not depositing the SBNs within the permitted period -- before December 30, 2016," stated the Ministry of Finance in a fresh affidavit filed a day before the hearing in the matter on Tuesday.
Stating another reason for not allowing any more persons to deposit old demonetized currency notes, the Centre submitted, "Any number of benami transactions and user proxies for the purpose of producing and depositing scrapped bank notes would then arise which the departments would have great difficulty in deciding any genuine case from the numerous bogus ones."
The Centre was responding to the July 4 directive asking it to consider granting a window to those who have not been able to exchange the scrapped notes for genuine reasons.
The apex court had said that people should not lose their own money for no fault of theirs.
- UP schoolgirls forced to strip: 12 staffers axed 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- DAVP spent about Rs 1,286 crore in 2016-17: Govt 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Uniquely placed to deliver on commitments on SDG, India assures UN 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Pak summons Indian envoy over ceasefire violations 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Diplomatic channels ‚Äėunimpeded‚Äô to resolve Sikkim standoff: China 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- 28 die as bus falls into gorge in Shimla 21 Jul 2017 | PNS
- 455 cases of unruly air travellers since 2016: Govt 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Harmanpreet hits 171 as India pile up 281/4 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- India warns Pak DGMO against targeting schoolchildren at LoC 21 Jul 2017 | PNS
- RS members criticise ban by airlines on MPs 21 Jul 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | Ranchi
In perhaps the most ruthless chidings so far the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) had been waiting for, three member of Jharkhand Assembly Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has after its maiden visit to the premier institute on Thursday said that the largest public hospital was a total failure on every counts with nothing in the institute happening the way it was expected to take place. Chaired by JMM MLA Stephen...