Centre: No more grace period for depositing scrapped notes
The Centre is not inclined to grant any more grace period for depositing the scrapped Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes, saying the very object of demonetisation and elimination of black money would be defeated if further window was given.
"The very object of demonetisation and elimination of black money will be defeated if a window is opened for a further period as the persons in possession of the specified bank notes (scrapped notes of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500) will have had sufficient time and opportunity to carefully plan the reasons and excuses for not depositing the SBNs within the permitted period -- before December 30, 2016," stated the Ministry of Finance in a fresh affidavit filed a day before the hearing in the matter on Tuesday.
Stating another reason for not allowing any more persons to deposit old demonetized currency notes, the Centre submitted, "Any number of benami transactions and user proxies for the purpose of producing and depositing scrapped bank notes would then arise which the departments would have great difficulty in deciding any genuine case from the numerous bogus ones."
The Centre was responding to the July 4 directive asking it to consider granting a window to those who have not been able to exchange the scrapped notes for genuine reasons.
The apex court had said that people should not lose their own money for no fault of theirs.
- Why the malafide impeachment motion was bound to fail? 25 Apr 2018 | Arun Jaitley
- Modern twists at Khadi fashion show 25 Apr 2018 | Pioneer News Service
- Chairman for bio-metric system at RS Secretariat 25 Apr 2018 | Pioneer News Service
- Ensure no violence takes place: Centre to 3 States 25 Apr 2018 | Pioneer News Service
- ITC, GMR to submit vision for Taj upkeep 25 Apr 2018 | Pioneer News Service
- IAF drill to hone combat readiness ends 25 Apr 2018 | Pioneer News Service
- Modi-Xi meet aims to smoothen rough edges 25 Apr 2018 | Vineeta Pandey
- Jewar airport likely to handle 10 cr passengers by 2050: PwC report 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Involvement in India will be investigated: CA 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Sushma arrives in Mongolia on 2-day visit 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Apr 2018 | PNS | CUTTACK
Basing on the allegations of acquisition of assets disproportionate to the known sources of income by Banking Assistant, Mayurbhanj Central Cooperative Bank Limited, Karanjia Sirish Chandra Mohanta, a Vigilance team raid several locations and traced his assets of Rs 1,10, 25,946. His residential house located at Dhatikabeda, Karanjia, house given on rent at Prasanti Vihar, Bhubaneswar, house given on rent located at Karanjia, and office room were simultaneously searched with search...