CM promises floating TN solar power plant
After setting up the world’s largest solar power plant at a single location (Kamuthy in Ramanathapuram district which generates 648 MW clean power), Tamil Nadu is out to set up another innovation; the country’s biggest floating solar power plant.
Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy announced in the Assembly on Tuesday that a floating solar plant of 250 MW capacity would be set up in the State at a cost of Rs 1,125 crore. Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh are the two States which has already commissioned floating solar power stations, though of much smaller capacity.
He said that Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Company (TANGEDCO), the State-owned power utility and the public sector Solar Energy Corporation of India will jointly set up this innovative project.
“Besides generating power, this floating power station would mitigate the problem of evaporation in our dams,” said the Chief Minister.
Though he did not reveal the location of the floating solar power plant, it is widely believed that the project may come up either at Vaigai dam or Veeranam tank where the experts of SECI had held viability studies.
The Kamuthy power plant was the cynosure of all eyes when it was commissioned as the world’s largest solar plant in 2016 by the then Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa. The Adani Group owned plant was built in a record time of eight months amidst efforts by some political parties to derail the project.
According to a policy note released by the Government , the State has a generation capacity of 2034 MW solar power as on March 2018. Tamil Nadu had set a target of 8,884 MW solar power by the year 2023, as per the Vision 2023 document released by Jayalalithaa in 2012.
Palaniswamy said that the solar energy policy would be amended suitably to speed up the works to meet the target set by Amma. .
- Foreingers held under prohibition act in Patna 18 Jun 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- Missing Indian, Nepali workers in Nepal hydro project accident rescued 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Signalled to stop, speeding car drags Bhopal cop 500m 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Assam lynching: One more arrested, total tally rises to 31 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Ahead of MP bypolls, BJP Cong gear up for cyber war 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- ‚ÄėSouthwest monsoon to revive in 5-6 days‚Äô 18 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Mallya faces fresh charges under new Ordinance 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- ISRO clears GSAT-1 for launch 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Lateral entry scheme an attempt to saffronise bureaucracy: Moily 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Swaraj leaves for 7-day tour of four European nations 18 Jun 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jun 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | GIRIDIH
A team of Ganday police of Giridih district have arrested three cyber criminals and found 6 mobiles, 3 ATM cards, one cheque book of Bank of India ,and 8 Sim card and other gadgets from them near Raskutta, Jhilwa, Madhupur and Chapri village of Madhupur under Ganday police station on Sunday. The criminals were identified as Naresh Mandal, Nandkishor Mandal and Mahesh Hembram...