CPM expels MP for raising voice against Karats, Salim
In a major development that could have some ramification in Left politics in Bengal as well as Delhi expelled Rajya Sabha MP of the CPI(M) Ritabrata Banerjee on Wednesday said he had paid the price of raising his voice against Prakash Karat, his wife Brinda Karat and their agent in Bengal Md Salim, all Politburo members who had literally hijacked the party for their own vested interests.
Banerjee, who literally broke down after hearing the news of his expulsion, said he would make a statement on Thursday after getting over the initial jolt “because I feel like having lost my home”.
After all I am associated with the party for the past 21 years since my school days.”
The MP who was suspended from the party following complaints of leading a lavish lifestyle — and even trying to victimize a lower rung worker who raised this issue — had exploded against the Karat lobby in a televised interview on Monday when he said the Karat couple and their agent in Bengal Salim were working against Bengal unit of the party. Banerjee had raised questions on why “Bengal line” was ignored in the Capital when “all your luxuries are paid for by the levy you raise from this State.” He also complained about the way Sitaram Yechury was “humiliated and stopped from getting reelected to Rajya Sabha.”
On why he raised the issue now he said “someone had to bell the cat and I did it.” On whether he had his options open he said he would speak about things later on.
- Experts bust myths, say Leucoderma not contagious 23 Jun 2018 | Archana Jyoti
- Sumitra expresses displeasure over Parliament disruptions 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Indian envoy visits two US detention facilities where Indian kids held 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Cong calls for probe into dealings of bank 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Interpol red corner notice against Nirav likely soon 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- ED wants fugitive tag for liquor baron Mallya 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Screening panels: Mistry to steer Cong in MP, Selja in Raj 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Italy refuses to extradite middleman Carlo Gerosa 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Inshort 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Assam Rifles seizes party drugs worth Rs 49L in Manipur 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | RANCHI
Taking the vision of ‘New India’ and the challenges ahead among the aspiring business managers, Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Jayant Sinha discussed elaborately on the concept of ‘Farms to Frontiers’ to accelerate the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate while addressing the students of new batch of Indian Institute of Management-Ranchi (2018-2020) here on Saturday. Sharing his insights, understanding of business ventures and a few examples from his public...