×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

Nation

Dileep’s claims add twist to Kerala actress attack case

| | Kochi

Malayalam movie superstar Dileep, arrested a month back for the alleged conspiracy behind the abduction and assault of a leading actress on February 17, has given a murky twist to the sensational case by posing fresh claims that cast doubts over the arguments put forward by the Kerala Police against him even as the HC on Friday posted his bail application to August 18 for detailed hearing.

Dileep said in his bail application that he had reported the alleged bid of Sunil Kumar, alias Pulsar Suni, prime accused in the case, to blackmail him to the State’s Director General of Police Loknath Behera on the very day his friend and actor-director Nadir Shah had received a phone call to this effect and not 20 days later as the Prosecution has been arguing.

Claiming that the case against him was the product of a conspiracy hatched by some prominent personalities in the film industry to destroy his future, the superstar also indirectly charged Additional DGP B Sandhya, supervising the special team probing the case, with foul play in the recording of his statement on June 28, a process that had taken 13 hours.

Dileep, named as 11th accused in the case, was arrested on July 10 and has been detained at the Sub-Jail in Aluva, his hometown near Kochi since then. This is the second time he has approached the High Court for bail.

A court in Angamaly near Aluva had denied him bail earlier and the High Court also had refused to grant him bail when he approached after that.

According to the Prosecution, Dileep had given a Rs 1.5-crore ‘quotation’ (contract) to Suni to abduct and sexually assault the actress. Suni and his gang had allegedly assaulted the actress and recorded her visuals in the awkward situation in a moving car on the night of February 17 when she was on her way to Kochi from Thrissur. Suni was arrested six days later.

The Prosecution has been arguing that Dileep had complained to DGP Behera about a blackmail bid by Suni, whose friend Vishnu had called Nadir Shah on April 10 demanding Rs 1.5 crore, 20 days later after the call was received. According to the Prosecution, Dileep resorted to lodging the complaint only after getting an idea about the direction of the investigation.

However, the superstar in his bail plea said he had reported to Behera about the call from Suni’s friend Vishnu and had forwarded to him the audio-recording of the conversation between Vishnu and Nadir Shah over WhatsApp on April 10 itself. He also said that he had talked with the DGP about this when they had met at the launch of one his new movie projects on April 16.

Dileep further said that he had also informed the DGP on April 8, 20 and 21 about Vishnu’s phone calls including those made to his manager Appunni. It was on DGP’s advice that he had lodged a written complaint via e-mail on April 20 and submitted its hard copy the following day through a film producer friend, the superstar claimed in the bail plea.

He also leveled allegations against ADGP Sandhya who had overseen the process of his 13-hour statement-recording on June 28 at the Police Club in Aluva. The process was being video-graphed but Sandhya had ordered the camera to be switched off when he had cited the names of certain film personalities, Dileep claimed.

TP Senkumar IPS, who had retired as State police chief on June 30, had come down heavily on Sandhya for the way the actress attack case was being handled. Allegations had also been raised against Sandhya to the effect that Dileep’s questioning had turned into a public relations stunt by the police.

According to legal experts, Dileep’s claims could cause headache for the police who are yet to gather clear evidences for conspiracy including the most important piece, the mobile phone Suni had used for video-graphing the actress during the assault. However, the Prosecution is claiming that it has got strong circumstantial and scientific evidences. 

 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

Prez’s arts council quits over Trump’s Virginia remarks

20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington

The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

2,467 kWp solar capacity installed in C'garh last year: Centre

20 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur

Solar power plants having total capacity of 2,467 kWp have been installed at various places including industries in Chhattisgarh in 2016-17, the Central Government has informed. Notably, Chhattisgarh Government has decided to identify more potentially rich areas for installation of renewable energy projects and carry out advance planning for evacuation and transmission of power in an effective and coordinated manner...

Read More

Page generated in 0.4509 seconds.