- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
ED grills Motilal Vora, Hooda in money laundering case
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has questioned senior Congress leader and treasurer Motilal Vora and former Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda in connection with the money laundering case involving the land allotment in Panchkula to Associated Journals Limited (AJL), publisher of National Herald on Tuesday.
Officials said while Vora (88), the national treasurer of the All India Congress Committee, was questioned at his residence in Delhi. Hooda was also questioned during the same time in Chandigarh at the agency’s office.
They were confronted with some documents seized and recovered in this case and their statements were recorded, officials added. Vora is the Chairman and Managing Director of the AJL for the past two decades and both leaders were questioned regarding the blatant illegalities in the allotment of plot in Panchkula in 2005.
The ED questioned Vora at his residence making a special concession in this regard owing to his old age and his request to be grilled at home. The plot had been initially allotted to AJL in 1982. After the expiry of the lease period in 1996, then Haryana Vikas Party Government led by Bansi Lal took back its possession. It was re-allotted to AJL after the Congress came to power in 2005. Apart from AJL and Hooda, CBI has registered FIR against three senior officials of Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) after the case was transferred from the State Vigilance Department. The three IAS officials SS Dhillon, Vineet Garg and now retired officer Shakuntala Jakhu also named in the FIR.
Hooda and Congress leaders have termed the move as political vendetta. “Hooda had himself signed the National Herald case file just to please his bosses, Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Moti Lal Vohra. This caused the state heavy financial loss,” said Haryana Minister Anil Vij.
Reacting to the developments, main petitioner BJP leader Subramanian Swamy said that he is very happy on the ED and CBI move and the agencies are expected to prosecute the Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi soon. He demanded that Income Tax department too should speed its probe in the illegal Rs90 crore transfer from Congress to AJL.
Next hearing of Swamy’s case in the matter is scheduled on April 22 at New Delhi Metropolitan Magistrate Court.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Government is expected to take action soon on the Mumbai land allotment in matter after receiving report the probe officer.
- Govt should increase number of diplomats, says Tharoor 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- UPA didn‚Äôt allow me to rebuild Kedarnath as Gujarat CM: Modi 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Four global firms keen to build Indian subs 21 Oct 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- Ayush Ministry, ICMR decide to conduct molecular-based research 21 Oct 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- Indo-Russian joint military exercise starts in Vladivostok 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- 24% of infant deaths in India: UN report 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Tillerson‚Äôs pro-India remarks hailed 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Rajnath to pay homage to policemen killed in 1959 Chinese firing 21 Oct 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- Govt should supply pulses through ration shops: IPGA 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Congress takes swipe at PM over Kedarnath remarks, Jay Shah issue 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Oct 2017 | IANS | Mumbai
Coming out in support of young victims of social media trolls, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) President Sharad Pawar on Saturday exhorted them to speak out against the wrong policies of the Government and oppose growing incidents of intolerance and fascism across India. In an unique initiative, Pawar met around 35 youngsters who have been threatened on social media and/or booked by police for speaking out their minds against the Government and...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A three-day film festival based on renowned filmmaker Kundan Shah will be organised in city. The film festival is all about the movies by Kundan Shah...