- Yogi unveils booklet on achievements; promises development
- No discussion on H-1B during Modi-Trump meeting
- SC refuses interim order agst Centre's notification on Aadhaar
- China accuses Indian troops of 'crossing boundary' in Sikkim section
- India, US to cooperate against JeM, LeT; ask Pak to rein in terror groups
- With hugs and praise, Modi and Trump strike rapport
Five non-MLA Ministers face tough task to get UP House membership
The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party is likely to face a herculean task in arranging vacant seats for five Ministers including Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in the State Legislature and get them elected in the next six months.
CM Yogi Adityanath along with his two deputies Keshav Prasad Maurya and Dinesh Sharma are not members of any House of the legislature. Besides, two Ministers— Swatantra Deo Singh and the lone Muslim face and cricketer Mohsin Raza, are also not members of any House. This has created more problems for the party.
Since the vacancy of Legislative Council will occur only in May, 2018, hence there is no other way but to hold by-elections of either House after which the members will be asked to pave way for these Ministers.
At present there is no vacancy in Assembly and the Government would be appointing an Anglo-Indian representative as 404th member of the House soon.
Similarly, two Lok Sabha seats, Gorakhpur represented by CM Yogi Adityanath and Phulpur seat by Keshav Prasad Maurya would fall vacant once they were elected to the State Legislature in the next six months.
The by-elections to Gorakhpur Parliament seat would also be interesting as since 1989, the seat has been represented by the heir to the Gorakhsnath peeth. Hence, the BJP candidate for Gorakhpur seat could be assumed as heir apparent to Yogi Adityanath.
However,a senior party leader said that there was no problem for the entry of Ministers in the State Legislature.” The leadership has already worked out the issue and in the days to come a clear picture would emerge,”he hinted.
Yogi is a five-time MP from Gorakhpur seat while Keshav Maurya won Phulpur seat for the first time in 2014 Lok Sabha elections after being elected from Sirathu Assembly seat of Kaushambi in 2012.
Dinesh Sharma on the other hand is two-time Mayor from Lucknow and his term expires in next three months.
Former MLC, Swantradeo Singh was the in-charge of Bundelkhand region during the Assembly polls where the BJP won all 19 seats in this elections.
Mohsin Raza, has no political background though it was reported that Manipur Governor Najma Heptullah is his close relative. Raza, a cricketer, has played for UP in Ranji Trophy in a couple of matches and had joined the BJP in 2013.
- Punjab & Haryana HC order permitting cops to take voice sample in graft case stayed 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Kovind to meet J&K MPs, MLAs at Mufti’s residence tomorrow 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Bodies of 4 of a family killed in Gulmarg brought to Nagpur 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Faridabad lynching: Muslims wear black bands during Eid Namaz in protest 27 Jun 2017 | PNS
- ‘Not In My Name': Thousands pledge to march for Junaid 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Man's forearm ripped off by crocodile while saving dogs 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- K’taka polls: BJP to hold survey for distributing tickets 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Yogi skips Eidgah visit, Akhilesh takes swipe 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Yogi Govt counts pluses, Opp minuses 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- GJM delegation hands over resignation from GTA to Guv 27 Jun 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Jun 2017 | MUKESH RANJANA | Ranchi
Baffled with regular incidents of chain, wallet and mobile snatching in the State Capital, Ranchi police will now work on a multi-pronged strategy after conducting thorough mapping of the areas, targets, timing, modus operandi etc. of the incidents taking place in the recent days and ensure that the culprits are caught immediately after committing the crime...