- Bullet-riddled body of man working for Army found: police
- Violent threats not acceptable in democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Steep fare hike will 'kill' Delhi Metro: Kejriwal
- Pakistan justifies Hafiz Saeed's release
- President urges legal fraternity to provide free services to poor
- Egypt army launches offensive against militants after deadly mosque attack
Fresh plea filed in Pakistan court over Bhagat Singh's case
A fresh petition has been filed in the Lahore High Court for the early hearing of a case to prove the innocence of legendary freedom fighter Bhagat Singh in the murder case of a British police officer, seven months after the court sought a larger Bench to hear the plea.
The court has yet to form the larger bench.
Advocate Imtiaz Rashid Qureshi of Bhagat Singh Memorial Foundation yesterday filed an application for early hearing of its petition. "I have filed the petition in the LCH for early hearing of the Bhagat Singh case. Today I requested the registrar to get a date fixed for hearing of the case and hopefully the case will be heard this month," Queshi told PTI today.He said he has also written to the federal government for making statue of Bhagat Singh at Shadman Chowk (central part of Lahore) where he was hanged along with his two comrades.
"I have written to the government for building a statue of Singh but has not yet got any response from it in this regard," he added.
A division bench of the Lahore High Court in February had requested the chief justice to constitute a larger bench to hear the petition seeking reopening of the case of Singh.
In the petition, Qureshi had said Singh was a freedom fighter and fought for independence of undivided India.
Singh was hanged by British rulers on March 23, 1931 at the age of 23, after being tried under charges for hatching a conspiracy against the colonial government. The case was filed against Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for allegedly killing British police officer John P Saunders.
Taking plea in his petition Advocate Qureshi said Singh was initially jailed for life but later awarded death sentence in another "fabricated case".
He further said Singh is respected even today in the subcontinent not only by Sikhs but also Muslims as the founder of Pakistan Muhammad Ali Jinnah twice paid tribute to him.
"It is a matter of national importance."
He prayed the court set aside the sentence of Singh by exercising principles of review and order the government to honour him with state award.
In 2014, Lahore police provided the copy of the original FIR of the killing of Saunders in 1928 to the petitioner on the court's order. Singh's name was not mentioned in the First Information Report of the murder of Saunders for which he was handed down death sentence.
- Solution to reverse Delhi's air pollution lies in Haryana, Punjab: Kejriwal 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- MP CM derides use of mummy-papa, dad instead of ‚Äėmata-pita' 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- India sends 3k family bags to Rakhine state 25 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Visit Oxygen Chamber for a breath of fresh air 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- India can become role model in growth of children: UNICEF 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Multi-State mock drill on tsunami preparedness held 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- By-elections in four States on December 21 25 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Capital witnesses coldest Nov 24 morning in 11 yrs 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Hardik gets Y category security after threat 25 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Assam Min blames it on media, says sorry for Cancer controversy 25 Nov 2017 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Gautam Nagar police have nabbed a miscreant on Friday on the charge of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at Gautam Nagar on Friday. Police said that the accused Raj Sharma sexually assaulted the victim who was on her way home in the afternoon...