- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Kejriwal slams Modi for no action against Sonia
- Under-fire IOA approaches Tendulkar, Rahman
- Court orders framing charges in coal block case against Jindal
- Mallya says in forced exile, no plans to return to India
- Allow states to hold separate medical entrance test: Centre to SC
- Swamy challenges expunging of comments in RS
Gir lions to be tagged to study migration patterns
The lions of Gir in Gujarat are now under the radar of Wildlife Institute of India (WII). In view of the rising incidents of their straying, at least 10 lions are being radio collared to study their migration patterns outside the Protected Area.
It will be for the first time that Gir lions will be radio tagged to track their movements within and outside the sanctuary. The study is being undertaken by a team of eight experts, researchers and trackers , from the WII and State forest department led by Dr YD Jhala, wildlife scientist from WII. This is for the first time that lions will be globally tagged to track their movements. In the first round, four lionesses are being radio collared, which will be followed by the remaining six. According to Jhala, the study is also aimed at understanding the behavior of Asiatic lions near human landscapes.
The research will help in ascertaining the area required by a breeding female for hunting her preys along with the rearing of the results of her cubs. The results of the study will enable the forest department to ensure better protection of lions and its habitat management in the long run, said the researchers.
Further, the study will trace the movement pattern of lions-their frequency of straying, whether or not they return to the sanctuary-whether they prey on local livestock from the villages etc. As per the May 2010 census, there are 130 lions outside the sanctuary. However, the forest officials said this number is likely to have increased.
MORE Nation NEWS
- ‘Who received kickbacks?’ 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- Michel given Rs50 cr to manage media: Lekhi 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- NDA Govt, not UPA, blacklisted AgustaWestland: Def Ministry 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- Swamy, Cong’s ‘no love lost’ affair continues for second day in a row 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- Pak JIT visit on principle of reciprocity: Govt 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- NIA visit to Pak discussed in FS meet 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- Elders discuss JLN Stadium power failure, row over DU text book, RTI 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- MPs make strong plea to bring back Kohinoor 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- Panama papers, air fare increase, discussed in LS 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
- Ganga will be cleaned by July 2018: Uma Bharti 29 Apr 2016 | PNS
24 Apr 2016 | Rup Narayan Das
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar’s recent visit to China assumes immense significance in light of the long-standing complex relationship and the security dilemma that exists between the two countries. Political interaction at the higher level is always conducive for strategic trust and communication China is India’s largest neighbour and the two countries share a land border of 3,488 km, which is undemarcated and is known as the Line of Actual Control (LAC)...
29 Apr 2016 | PNS | Lucknow
There is suspense whether Jail minister Balwant Singh Ramoowalia will continue in office after April 30, as he is yet to become member of Legislative Council or Legislative Assembly with time running out fast. Sources at Raj Bhawan told 'The Pioneer' on Thursday that Governor Ram Naik has so far not received any request to nominate Ramoowalia as a member in the Upper House of the UP legislature...
Why is the Prime Minister silent on AgustaWestland scam? First, the BJP spared (Robert) Vadra, now it is protecting the Congress top brass.
I am extremely proud of my rags to riches story, it's fun to be a misfit or an underdog if you acknowledge your gifts and befriend your obstacles.
For the first time I am supporting Salman (Khan) on my belief that what he is doing is right. Instead and alcohol or tobacco, he is promoting sports.