- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Global tender for salvaging Sindhurakshak likely soon
The Navy will soon float a global tender for salvaging submarine Sindhurakshak, which sank at Mumbai port on August 13 killing all crew on board.The ill-fated submarine is now resting on the bottom of the sea at a depth of seven metres and the naval divers are yet to locate the bodies of seven crew members.
The Defence Ministry has fast tracked the process for inviting tenders from salvers, officials said on Thursday, adding there are only seven or eight salvage companies in the world who have the required expertise to bring out a ship.
Refraining from giving a time line for completing the salvage operation given the complexities involved in such processes, officials said all the armament on the submarine will be removed as a safety measure and the Board of Inquiry will then carry out extensive probe to ascertain the cause of mishap.
The Board of Inquiry will only be able to give a conclusive report after examining every section of the submarine, officials said. The 3,000-tonne submarine suffered major explosions before going down and nearly 2,000 tonnes of water has now entered the boat thereby making it difficult for the divers to traverse through the wreckage.
The naval divers, so far, have logged more than 1,500 hours of diving in the submarine and have to swim through turbid waters with visibility of not more than three to four feet, officials said. Despite these difficulties, they managed to bring out 11 bodies but were yet to locate seven others, including three officers, sources said all the 18 crew members were declared operational casualties.
MORE Nation NEWS
- India to appeal against Hague tribunal’s verdict 28 Jul 2016 | PTI
- India, US have commitment to fight extremism, says top US official 28 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Book your train ticket through IRCTC website and avail insurance for Rs 1 28 Jul 2016 | Agencies
- LS okays amendment to Lokpal Act 28 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Opp pressure on Govt to check rising food prices 28 Jul 2016 | PNS
- MP seeks probe into Narsingh case 28 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Priority to help distressed Indians abroad: Sushma 28 Jul 2016 | PNS
- RS starts discussion on CAMPA Bill 28 Jul 2016 | PNS
- 3,550 cops, 2,309 civilians injured in stone-pelting in J&K 28 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Lok Sabha passes Bill to check benami transactions 28 Jul 2016 | PNS
28 Jul 2016 | PNS | Chandigarh
Following the “Happening Haryana” event held earlier this year to promote the State as investment destination, Haryana Government has so far clinched 406 MoU with total potential investment of Rs6.41 lakh crore and land has been allotted for 109 projects with potential investment of Rs7041 crore...
If we were to think India-Australia relations can only be done at Government levels, we will be missing major opportunities.
There is excitement for the film (Munna Bhai-3). I do my job, I don't take stress. The more stress you take the more worse you get.
America is already great. It is already strong. And I promise you, our strength, our greatness does not depend on Donald Trump.