Global tender for salvaging Sindhurakshak likely soon
The Navy will soon float a global tender for salvaging submarine Sindhurakshak, which sank at Mumbai port on August 13 killing all crew on board.The ill-fated submarine is now resting on the bottom of the sea at a depth of seven metres and the naval divers are yet to locate the bodies of seven crew members.
The Defence Ministry has fast tracked the process for inviting tenders from salvers, officials said on Thursday, adding there are only seven or eight salvage companies in the world who have the required expertise to bring out a ship.
Refraining from giving a time line for completing the salvage operation given the complexities involved in such processes, officials said all the armament on the submarine will be removed as a safety measure and the Board of Inquiry will then carry out extensive probe to ascertain the cause of mishap.
The Board of Inquiry will only be able to give a conclusive report after examining every section of the submarine, officials said. The 3,000-tonne submarine suffered major explosions before going down and nearly 2,000 tonnes of water has now entered the boat thereby making it difficult for the divers to traverse through the wreckage.
The naval divers, so far, have logged more than 1,500 hours of diving in the submarine and have to swim through turbid waters with visibility of not more than three to four feet, officials said. Despite these difficulties, they managed to bring out 11 bodies but were yet to locate seven others, including three officers, sources said all the 18 crew members were declared operational casualties.
- Punjab to treat absentee staff as ‘deemed resigned' 24 May 2017 | IANS
- Modi gets ‘amazing' gift made from waste by Bihar woman 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Modi’s Berlin visit: OBOR, terrorism on agenda 24 May 2017 | PNS
- After SC order, no one to represent Arunachal seat 24 May 2017 | PNS
- Sena stages stir, forces closure of toll plaza 24 May 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- One killed in fresh violence in Saharanpur 24 May 2017 | PTI
- ED arrests CA in Rs 8K-cr case; suspect linked to Lalu family 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Controversial godman Chandraswami passes away 24 May 2017 | PTI
- India moves from ‘brain drain’ to ‘brain gain’ 24 May 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- All is not well with TDP-BJP alliance in AP! 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...