Global tender for salvaging Sindhurakshak likely soon
The Navy will soon float a global tender for salvaging submarine Sindhurakshak, which sank at Mumbai port on August 13 killing all crew on board.The ill-fated submarine is now resting on the bottom of the sea at a depth of seven metres and the naval divers are yet to locate the bodies of seven crew members.
The Defence Ministry has fast tracked the process for inviting tenders from salvers, officials said on Thursday, adding there are only seven or eight salvage companies in the world who have the required expertise to bring out a ship.
Refraining from giving a time line for completing the salvage operation given the complexities involved in such processes, officials said all the armament on the submarine will be removed as a safety measure and the Board of Inquiry will then carry out extensive probe to ascertain the cause of mishap.
The Board of Inquiry will only be able to give a conclusive report after examining every section of the submarine, officials said. The 3,000-tonne submarine suffered major explosions before going down and nearly 2,000 tonnes of water has now entered the boat thereby making it difficult for the divers to traverse through the wreckage.
The naval divers, so far, have logged more than 1,500 hours of diving in the submarine and have to swim through turbid waters with visibility of not more than three to four feet, officials said. Despite these difficulties, they managed to bring out 11 bodies but were yet to locate seven others, including three officers, sources said all the 18 crew members were declared operational casualties.
- Surveillance teams to check undisclosed cash 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Lawyer pursuing Bofors case in SC questions CBI move on appeal 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- UP man shot dead by terrorists in Kashmir 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- DRDO: Necessary changes made to main battle tank Arjun Mark II 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Cong fields Virbhadra‚Äôs son in final list of candidates 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- PM among BJP‚Äôs 40 star campaigners 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Congress invites Hardik Patel, Jignesh Mevani to meet Rahul 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- UP Govt likely to merge Shia, Sunni Waqf boards 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Doklam stand-off safely resolved after talks: PLA 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Akhilesh slams BJP for Taj controversy 23 Oct 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Oct 2017 | PNS | BOKARO
Coal India Limited (CIL) will install 15 water purifiers along with water cooler units at Bokaro district. A MoU has been signed between District Administration Bokaro and CIL official on Sunday at Bokaro...