- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Global tender for salvaging Sindhurakshak likely soon
The Navy will soon float a global tender for salvaging submarine Sindhurakshak, which sank at Mumbai port on August 13 killing all crew on board.The ill-fated submarine is now resting on the bottom of the sea at a depth of seven metres and the naval divers are yet to locate the bodies of seven crew members.
The Defence Ministry has fast tracked the process for inviting tenders from salvers, officials said on Thursday, adding there are only seven or eight salvage companies in the world who have the required expertise to bring out a ship.
Refraining from giving a time line for completing the salvage operation given the complexities involved in such processes, officials said all the armament on the submarine will be removed as a safety measure and the Board of Inquiry will then carry out extensive probe to ascertain the cause of mishap.
The Board of Inquiry will only be able to give a conclusive report after examining every section of the submarine, officials said. The 3,000-tonne submarine suffered major explosions before going down and nearly 2,000 tonnes of water has now entered the boat thereby making it difficult for the divers to traverse through the wreckage.
The naval divers, so far, have logged more than 1,500 hours of diving in the submarine and have to swim through turbid waters with visibility of not more than three to four feet, officials said. Despite these difficulties, they managed to bring out 11 bodies but were yet to locate seven others, including three officers, sources said all the 18 crew members were declared operational casualties.
MORE Nation NEWS
- SC pulls up Delhi Govt over garbage mounds 22 Oct 2016 | PNS
- Cautious Govt says no call on reintroduction of Xth board exam yet 22 Oct 2016 | PNS
- Over 1,000 retrenched workers returning from Saudi in coming week 22 Oct 2016 | PNS
- CBI registers case in Embraer bribery case 22 Oct 2016 | PTI
- W coastal States vulnerable: Singh 22 Oct 2016 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- BJP demands NIA probe into RSS workers’ killings 22 Oct 2016 | Kestur Vasuki
- National anthem has no place in cinema hall: Brutalized paraplegic 22 Oct 2016 | Mayabhushan
- Red terror as BJP man attacked 22 Oct 2016 | VR Jayaraj
- Sheena case: CBI files supplementary chargesheet No. 2 22 Oct 2016 | TN Raghunatha
- Kerala’s ex-Min Jayarajan now in teakwood trap 22 Oct 2016 | PNS
22 Oct 2016 | PNS | Lucknow
Akhilesh Yadav will be the chief minister’s face of the Samajwadi party and the party will go to the next assembly election in his leadership. "Let there be no confusion on the chief minister’s face of the party and leadership issue...
Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a four, maybe a five, if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair.
Charges (of my leaking defence information) are baseless. In the defence committee, no secret information is shared.
Hillary is so corrupt that she got kicked off the Watergate commission. How corrupt you have to be to get kicked off!