- EC acting like BJP's puppet, PM's 'roadshow' violation of model code: Congress
- Jaitley casts his vote, asks people to vote for development
- 2nd phase of Gujarat polls: 10% voting in 2 hours
- Dalit woman rape: Court awards death sentence to labourer
- Not undergone any makeover, BJP distorted my image: Rahul Gandhi
- Leaders pay homage to Parliament attack victims; Manmohan greets Modi
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case
- Govt shelves Dec 31 deadline on Aadhaar, PAN in financial dealings
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech
Gujarat MLA gets life term in murder case
BJP MLA from Gondal assembly constituency in Rajkot district was sentenced to life term by Gujarat High Court in a murder case on Friday.
The bench of Justice Akil Kureshi and Justice B N Biren Vaishnav gave the verdict against Jadeja and two of his associates Amarjitsinh Jadeja and Mahendrasinh Rana. The court has ordered all the three accused to surrender before the police before the beginning of October.
With this development Jadeja could be disqualified as a legislator unless he gets relief from Supreme Court going forward. Jadeja first became Gondal legislator on a BJP ticket in 1998 and then in 2002. In 2012, he even defeated now BJP office-bearer and former home minister Gordhan Zhadaphia to win Gondal seat. Zhadaphia had contested the seat as candidate from Gujarat Parivartan Party founded by former Gujarat CM Keshubhai Patel.
As a result of political rivalry Jadeja had allegedly killed Nilesh Raiyani in the year 2004 by firing from point blank range. Raiyani and Jadeja were political rivals within same party, who were locked in a dispute over a 35-acre land of erstwhile royal family of Gondal. The trouble began when a guy named Vikramsinh Rana, a close aide of Jadeja, was killed in 2003 over disputed land. The allegations were that faction of Vinu Shingara, who also happened to be district BJP Yuva Morcha president, was involved in this murder. Later in 2004, Vinu Shingara too got murdered. It was alleged that Jadeja was involved with this murder. However, Jadeja was acquitted in the case. Raiyani was close aide of Shigara and hence he too was eliminated.
- Kasuri dismisses Modi‚Äôs claim as ‚Äėstrange story with no basis‚Äô 14 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Telangana Govt showers sops on Home Guards 14 Dec 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Tamil Nadu cop shot dead by robbers in Rajasthan 14 Dec 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Cyclone Ockhi: Toll rises to 66 in Kerala 14 Dec 2017 | VR Jayaraj
- Quantum of punishment to be announced today 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- UP Assembly Winter Session from today 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Yogi Govt to disband Waqf Tribunal in Rampur, shifts it to Lucknow 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Gujarat phase-2 polls today 14 Dec 2017 | Nayan Dave
- PM to induct INS Kalvari into Indian Navy 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- PM asks MEA, Water Resources to find out why Brahmaputra turned black 14 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Dec 2017 | PNS | DALTONGANJ
Following a directive from Secretary of Higher and Technical Education and Skill Development, Ajoy Kumar Singh, who in the meeting with the VCs the State universities on Tuesday in Ranchi asked to launch an intensive drive for the registration of the pass students of session 2015, 2016 and 2017 for placement, VC of Nilamber Pitamber University SN acknowledged going after this directive. Briefing newsmen here SN Singh said, “The...